Cincinatti @ Illinois

Discussion in 'Game Summaries' started by MRamirez, Nov 10, 2010.

1. MRamirez

MRamirez Go Devils!

Game started out with Cincinatti receiving the kickoff....

Illinois was able to hold and received the first punt of the game. The Illini quickly moved down the field and were able to score on an option play from about 15 yards out. Illinois was feeling very encouraged at this point and felt the game was going to go their way. OOOOOOPS!:oops:

Cincinatti came out "gang-busters" after that and he began to really dominate the game. JCSpartan is very good against the pass and even with the lack of talent it seemed as if the game was playing to fast for my liking. The pressure was intense and his ability in the defensive backfield took much of what I like to do away.:eek:

JCSpartan likes to play inside out on defense and it was very confusing for me the entire first half. The turning point in the game happened late in the 1st half. I was beginning to panic and I threw a stupid pick to a receiver who was open if I just would have put some touch on it.

JCSpartan had the ball in the Red-Zone with less than 30 seconds to play. I figured I needed to hold him to a field goal to have any sort of a chance in the 2nd half. He hit a receiver across the middle and with 20 seconds left and 1 timeout he was at my 3 yard line. The outcome seemed inevitable. I figured I would show run defense but actually play the slant. Bingo! It worked and I was able to pick him off.:thumbsup:

The 2nd half opened with the Illini receiving the kick. Cincinatti opened the half with a sack and my house was suddenly awakened when I yelled out "FUCK"! My wife yelled from the other room "S.T.F.U. your going to wake up Sophia"! :mad: I quickly punted after 3 plays.

I will say that my defense played well. Aside from the short fields I had given JCSpartan he did struggle at times to move the ball. I was able to put pressure on him pretty consistantly throughout the game.

I was able to find some rhythm on a drive mid-way through the 3rd quarter and surprisingly found myself only down 3 points. (17-14)

I kicked-off to Cincinatti and he methodically marched the ball downfield, but I again was able to hold him to a field goal. I was thinking now it is my turn to try and take the lead with him up 20-14.

I received the kick and opened with a nice play on 1st down. I began to throw out of running formations because of his abilty against the pass. I dropped back again to throw from my 35 yard line and JCSpartan again makes an amazing play against the pass and returns it into my territory with him leading 20-14.:(

JCSpartan is now on my 45 yardline.

I can't remember if I sack him or if it was an untimely holding call, but he was now in 2nd and long after the pick. JCSpartan drops back and out of nowhere an Illini DB jumps a post route and after a great spin move to elude a tackler finds himself running down the sideline to take the lead 21-20.:)

I'm thinking to myself at this point that I have a little "Houdini" up my ass.:p

JCSpartan then came out and seemed to be a little rattled by the change of momentum and his offense quickly exited the field. :confused: Time was now a factor and after the punt I found myself with the ball and 3:30 to go. Throughout the game I was trying to get to the outside and really had no luck off tackle. I remembered the only real time I beat him to the edge was on the option play in the first half so I decided to try it once more this time to the wide side of the field.

It fucken worked! The play looked so perfect (realistic) at least from my perspective as my running back received the pitch and ran 70+ yard for the TD and a 28-20 lead!!!!!!!!:cool:

JCSpartan received the kick and immediately hits for a big play into my territory. I suddenly found him at the 25 yard line with plenty of time to go. I had been playing coverage, but I snuck a "blitz" in and hurt him with another big sack. I was able to hold him on 4th down as well with about 34 seconds left.

JCSpartan stopped me on 3 running plays and was still holding three timeouts. After the punt it only left him with 10 seconds and no timeouts. His final heave to endzone was batted down and Illinois left the field feeling very lucky to win after a very intense opening game of the season.;)

GG JCSpartan!!

• Like Like x 1
  2. BRUCE80

BRUCE80 Let the dirt just shower over you..

Great write up Mike, show your face more would ya?

3. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Walk On

Featured Threads:
    This is history in the making

Not only is this Ramirez first user win of the new game b

But it's also the longest post that's not defending his skills!

Good job though Ramirez! Looks like y'all better watch out for Illinois this year!

4. jfosh

jfosh Super

Nice win for Illinois...even better post...

5. Blaza

Blaza In Arsene Wenger I Trust

Nice writeup sounds like a good game.

6. JCspartan2

JCspartan2 Sparty Party

Great write up man, you told it pretty well. I literally sat there with my head in my hands for 5 minutes after this one. I had so many chances to put the game away but when your back was against the wall you responded, adjusted, and pushed me right back. You deserved this one.

7. MRamirez

MRamirez Go Devils!

I beat Juggs and Louisville last season!

8. Hellisan

Hellisan Schemin 'em up

Like everybody else said, great writeup, and it sounds like a fantastic game. :thumbsup:

And a great win for the Illini, because it's clear that the FNG is no joke.