Cincy holds off Spartan Comeback

Discussion in 'Game Summaries' started by JCspartan2, Mar 30, 2011.

1. JCspartan2

JCspartan2 Sparty Party

[​IMG]

On paper this one looked like a face paced game without much defense....which is exactly what it turned out to be.

Cincy started off the game scoring on two plays, the 2nd a 71 yard TD run right up the gut by HB Mark Kent. Michigan State answered right back with a methodical drive ending in a 3 yard TD run by HB Mike Ryan, and Cincy responded in kind with a long drive of their own also ending in a short TD run. After the dust had cleared and the 1st quarter ended, Cincy found themselves up 14-7.

Cincy forced MSU into one of the few punts of the game on the first drive of the 2nd quarter, but couldn't capitalize on it and was forced to punt the ball right back. The Spartans then caught the Bearcats linebacker blitzing and hit TE Quinton Dawson over the middle for a 31 yard TD to tie the game. Then things started to go downhill for Cincy. After driving the length of the field, QB Brian Atkins was sacked for a big loss and Cincy was forced to kick a long FG to take a 3 point lead. On the ensuing MSU possession the Spartans started to mix in the option and Cincinnati couldn't handle it. The first option play ended in a 78 yard TD rush by HB John Brown and gave MSU their first lead of the game. Then QB Brian Atkins threw an INT in the redzone when WR Mark Anderson was seemingly interfered with and not where he was supposed to be when the ball arrived. Luckily for the Bearcats, QB Marcus Reid was picked off on a great play by CB Craig Matthews with 30 seconds left in the half and Atkins hooked up with Anderson on a bomb for a 45 yard TD as the half ended, Cincy up 24-21.

MSU started with the ball and quickly used the option to once again get within 5 yards of the endzone. This time the Cincy defense stood tall and forced a game tying FG. Trying to slow the game down a bit, Cincy started giving MSU large doses of HB Mark Kent and drove into the redzone where QB Atkins would hit WR Anderson on a curl route for a 6 yard TD, Cincy up 31-24 end of 3rd.

The 4th quarter was a blur. MSU started with the ball and got into Cincy territory without much trouble. On a 3rd and goal from the 5, SS Dennis Bennett stepped in front of a pass into the flat and took the ball to the house for a 93 yard INT return for a TD. MSU wasn't going away being down two TDs, in two plays MSU scored on a 58 yard bomb to Kody Mansfield. After holding Cincy to a FG, MSU again scored on what looked like the same play to WR David Thompson to pull within 3 points. With under 2 minutes left Cincy simply tried to run out the clock, but couldn't get the 1st down. With 20 seconds left, the Bearcat punter kicked it to the 5 yard line where it was fielded by MSU. The MSU returner was light up by CB Trey Poole and the fumble was picked up by OLB Tom Johnson on the goaline for a TD as time expired.

Cincinnati wins 48-38.

GG @Zetroc

2. Zetroc

Zetroc Uncle Rico Inspired

gg JC. This game all depended on mis-cues. I unfortunetly had more and resulted in a loss. I had a blast playing because it was a true chess match on both sides of the ball.

GL the rest of the way...

3. Hellisan

Hellisan Schemin 'em up

Sounds like a close, hard-fought game. Are we ready to advance!? Nice win JC.... And thanks for helping me set the game up yesterday Zet.

4. jms493

jms493 Veteran Member

no still have games left

5. JCspartan2

JCspartan2 Sparty Party

@Zetroc @jfosh are left

6. JCspartan2

JCspartan2 Sparty Party

Now just Zetroc left.

7. JCspartan2

JCspartan2 Sparty Party

Wow this place is DEAD. Where all you premier members at?

8. Hellisan

Hellisan Schemin 'em up

We got people playing their games in like 10 hours.... And waiting for the next advance.

9. Hellisan

Hellisan Schemin 'em up

@JCspartan2

BTW not to like "control speech" but to me those kind of comments sometimes bring leagues down in a way. Especially if the league is very active like ours is, I mean we have a lot of game summaries here in the last few days, a lot of replies to those summaries, this is by no means a dead league so if people could just make sure they mean what they're saying before
    they say it... That is all I ask.

Still waiting to hear from Zetroc on where he's at, he has till the end of the night but if he can't do that hopefully he will tell me so we can get going.

10. JCspartan2

JCspartan2 Sparty Party

I didn't mean anything with the comment, sorry if it offended. Definitely not harping on Zetroc, it hasn't been that long since we played our game.

11. Hellisan

Hellisan Schemin 'em up

-definitely not offended - helli

I just see a similar post in a league that really IS dead so like... lol

12. Blaza

Blaza In Arsene Wenger I Trust

• Like Like x 1