Class of 2018 Recruiting Thread

Discussion in 'Chompion's League' started by Spayer419, Dec 17, 2012.

1. Spayer419

Spayer419 Walk On

Good Luck!

2. Crumbler81

Crumbler81 Walk On

Wolverines Sign 1st Recruit
    Joey Hill - #30 WR - Temple, TX
    ScreenHunter_561 Dec. 24 16.20.jpg

Last edited: Dec 24, 2012
  3. macc24usc

macc24usc Walk On

Wow that's an amazing gem prospect you've got there. That kid would be warmly welcomed on the Seminoles he is a playmaker day 1 his freshman year wow congrats

4. Crumbler81

Crumbler81 Walk On

Thanks! Looks like I might be losing 2 standouts at receiver this year, so I'm gonna need him in the near future. Kinda hope his Catching goes up when I finish scouting.

5. macc24usc

macc24usc Walk On

FSU hauls in two commitments this week firstly 4* DE Malcom Cook out of Bayonet Point, FL. Cooks a hometown product who jumped at the chance to play for a program on the uprise. He has experience with Coach Macc through his summer camps and he knows what he's getting out of a coach. Cook stars at Bayonet Point High playing defensive end but it's expected he makes a move inside to the tackle spot to help stop the run, easily his most appealing skill at this time. He's the 9th ranked DE in the country according to ESPN, 4th in the south east region. He brings with him an impressive 6'6" 267 lbs frame that can bulldoze through tackles. He's extremely explosive and plays with a high motor. He's more of a run stopper from the edge but he can penetrate inside and stuff ball carriers. He's the type of end who doesn't miss the tackle on the sweep to his side when he's the last guy who can make contact behind the line. Look for Cook to redshirt and come to camp the following year looking for a starting job. We think he might be ready by then too.

1 - cook de.png

The second recruit whose given his pledge to play his college ball in Tallahassee is 4* RB Matt Alexander. Matt is a terrific running back mold on the hoof, he stands just under 6 foot tall with a 205.lbs frame and he's actually the type of running back who prefers running around defenders as opposed to through him. In time, it's likely Alexander learns to run between the tackles but on the perimeter he is a nightmare right now. Alexander is the type of scat back who can be deadly in the passing game and could thrive in Macc's system requiring his backs to catch passes. He's still an unfinished product and he will have a long way to go before he's carrying the load at FSU but you never know this kid could eventually explode. His recruitment is interesting because it further strengthens the Georgia pipeline for the FSU coaching staff. We know they're #1 SS target is Georgia product Dee Robertson, the gigantic specimen whose admitted he would like to go to school with long time friend, Matt Alexander. The Seminoles have their eyes set on Ben White the big 4* G as well and if they can land all three of these kids you can chalk it up as a big time victory in the state of Georgia for FSU.

1 - alexander hb.png

6. Crumbler81

Crumbler81 Walk On

Michigan Picks Up Some Depth at Fullback
    13th ranked FB out of Westlake, Ohio signs
    ScreenHunter_560 Dec. 24 16.20.jpg

7. fishdock

fishdock Walk On

Sooners Land Their First Commit​

ScreenHunter_34 Dec. 27 13.03.jpg

Last year, when the Sooners had 23 scholarships approach, the staff decided they were willing to go for quantity rather than quality and secure a strong depth chart of respectable kids who were going to keep the program headed in the right direction. This year, the Sooners changed their approach and went for the heavy hitters recruiting mostly kids considered in the ESPNU150. This week, they landed their first commit, Albert McMillan, the #2 DT in this year's draft class. McMillan qualifies as a stud, and joins an already impressive group of defensive tackles that Fishdock got last year. The defensive line recruits that now live in Norman are making the head ball coach seriously consider his 3-3-5 defense and return to a more natural 4-3.​

8. macc24usc

macc24usc Walk On

1 - T wynn.png

Seminoles land 3rd commitment in as many weeks - ESPNU150 member Thomas Wynn, LT from Leesburg, FL.

Thomas Wynn on the hoof is a terrific looking Tackle prospect, he plays at a high level of competition and he is quite easily the best player on the field any given time. It's not often Offensive Tackles are noticeable on the field but Wynn demoralizes his competition with elite skill and good strength. He attacks defenders at pad level and drives through them in running situations and often leaves them on the ground in passing situations. He's the type of leader you can depend on and expect a lot out of. He's the type of guy you run off of in 3rd or 4th and long and will often times make a hole to run through. He's about as ready for the next level as can be and comes into a terrific situation where he will not be needed immediately. He will redshirt next year, come in as a freshman the following year take a starting job without question. Wynn's made it clear playing early is high on his priority list but it's unlikely that he gets that chance, although he's talented enough the prospect of getting 5 full years out of this kid will make him one of the ACC's premiere Tackles by the time he's a senior. This is a huge pick up for Macc who brings in an extremely talented local kid who ranks instate as the best tackle and as the 2nd best offensive lineman, behind 5* G and UF commit, Jake O'Brien.

Wynn ranks as the top Tackle within the southeast reigon and any time you can lock a dominant left tackle like him this early consider it a huge win for your team. Coach Macc is on the recruiting trail hard and expects a few more ESPNU150 players to jump on board before the seasons over. He's quite literally a recruiting wiz and he's had even more impressive hauls than anyone on his list this year. With recruiting being such a competitive business and recruits themselves recruiting for the programs they wish to attend, being at an absolute premium - guys like Thomas Wynn make players such as Marcus Johnson, Clifton Jones and Nate Johnson want to commit as well. He is very vocal on social media networks so hopefully for Nole Nation this signing is bigger than they expect.

9. cmassey13

cmassey13 Walk On

Recruiting [​IMG] Update

Texas had a big recruiting weekend last week as they picked up 5 commitments. They also grabbed a WR in the earlier weeks. Here's a look at the signees thus far:

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

The Longhorns went into this season looking to fill their team needs and then look for impact players with only 14 scholarships available. One point of emphasis was to return some explosiveness to their receiving corps, as the speed of the current group is lacking after standout Terrence Dorsey. So far that goal is being accomplished with the addition of Brad Foster and Kyle Madison. The Horns are also excited about finding a gem at the FS position in Brandon Williams from Gatesville, TX. The underrated Williams will look to compete for the starting spot in year one as Senior FS Brian Love will leave some big shoes to fill in Austin. This class is shaping up nicely so far and it looks like there will be more help coming for the defensive line and at linebacker. Once those spots are filled, the Horns will be working their scouting tools hard to try and unearth those impact players that can contribute day one.

• Like Like x 1
  10. cmassey13

cmassey13 Walk On

The One That Got Away
    Losing out on this guy was a heartbreaker. I didn't find him until last week, so I knew it'd be an uphill battle to land him, but thought I'd have a chance. Unfortunately, he signed quick with Auburn. This guy has stud written all over him:​
    [​IMG]

11. cyhiphopp

cyhiphopp Walk On

Damn, why'd you have to lose him to Auburn of all teams!

I think you need to personally apologize to everyone in the SEC, particularly Bama.

12. cmassey13

cmassey13 Walk On

Well I'm SEC now, so I'm more upset than anyone. I just wish I'd seen the speed on my first scouting instead of the third. It hurts, I thought I'd have a few weeks to work on him still but Aubby got lucky.

13. cyhiphopp

cyhiphopp Walk On

Welcome to the Irish! Here's a list of current commits and a few thoughts on each.

Capture.JPG Capture2.JPG

ND had three needs this season, FB, P, and C. They've got two of the three locked up already. The #1 FB in the country was won over in a battle with OU and Michigan. He has all the skills needed to play day 1. The punter, well he's a punter. He probably wont be awesome, but I don't like punting anyways!

Capture3.JPG Capture4.JPG

The next two commits should develop nicely for the defense. Wilson at MLB is solid if not spectacular and should have some time to improve. He was snatched from the clutches of Michigan.
    Bowling comes in at DE which is stacked right now so he will have lots of time to improve. He has good speed and should have great strength by the time he sees the field. Bowling was rescued from both the tOSU and UM. Lucky kid.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2012
    • Like Like x 1
  14. cmassey13

cmassey13 Walk On

Recruiting [​IMG] Update
    Texas picks up two more commits. Both were very high on their board for this year's class. Here's a look:
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    First up is a DT that Texas went all the way to Delaware to recruit. Craig Marshall is 6'4" 291 lbs and looks ready to step in and play whenever needed. He's ranked as the #7 DT in this year's class, but looks to grade out a little higher. Next up is much smaller player, but one that looks to be dynamic. Manuel McClain stands only 5'9" and weighs in at 191 lbs but has good speed and a quick first step. The Brownsville, FL standout is ranked as the #4 WR in this year's class. He's polished enough that he could contribute right away, but he'll have to work hard to earn his way onto the field.

• Like Like x 1
  15. macc24usc

macc24usc Walk On

marcus johnson.jpg
    Battle for the Consensus #1 Heats Up
    The recruitment of 5-star wide receiver Marcus Johnson (N. Fort Myers, Fla.) has taken several twists and turns with very little clarity. In recent interviews, the nation’s consensus No. 1 overall receiver and overall recruit listed the Florida State Seminoles among his top 3 schools he’s narrowed his list down to.

The Seminoles found out they will be contending with the Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets, who are believed to be Johnson’s leader at this point and the Auburn Tigers for the services of one of the best receiver prospects in recent memory.

The Florida Gators, Miami Hurricanes and Boise State Broncos found out earlier this month that Johnson would no longer be considering their respective programs as he narrowed his list to a final 3 as he draws closer to making his final decision.

“Florida never really pressed too hard, I think they could’ve been in the mix for my pledge and Miami just isn’t a good fit for me. Boise State is a great school with a good recent lineage in receivers but I don’t see myself playing in a non-BCS conference,” Johnson told Corey Dowlar of NoleNation.com. “I’ve told them I appreciate them recruiting me, but I just let them know straight up I wasn’t interested anymore. This is a really grueling process for me, I’m trying to focus on my high school career because winning a state title is the #1 priority on my mind right now. I just know it’s going to be Georgia Tech, Florida State or Auburn I’m going to attend next year”

Up until recent weeks, all signs pointed towards Johnson becoming a member of Auburn’s No. 6-ranked recruiting class. He would be joining fellow 5star ATH Travis Robbins and Jason Jenkins who are also expected to excel at the same receiver position at the next level.

“I really like Auburn, but they moved to my #3 this week because they’ve already got two high profile commitments from guys who play my position. What I love about my recruitment of FSU and GT is that they’ve made it abundantly clear I am the only receiver either school is after this year, at least the top target for both programs.”

“What I like about Georgia Tech? I like that they likely return what will be a senior QB next season (Brian Green) who is as accurate at the college level as you can possibly find. They`re a team who has really made a name for themselves as contenders and that`s my No.1 priority in chosing a school. I want to win National Championships. It`s impossible to argue GT gives me the best opportunity at that, ”

“What I like about Florida State? I like how they’ve handled this process. They’ve made it clear they’re a team on the up rise with a new head coach who I have experience working with. At the Opening this past summer he coached my Vapor Carbon 7on7 passing tournament team and other than my high school coach, I don’t think there’s ever been somebody I’ve learned more from. Coach Macc hasn’t left it up to his assistants to recruit me, he calls every night and comes to almost every one of my games. He’s made it clear I will be the guy who he can continue to build the program around if I sign in Tallahassee,”

This mammoth prospect stands at 6-5 and 210.lbs and admits he enjoys living with the hype and pressure to produce much like his older cousin, future Hall of Fame receiver for the Detroit Lions, Calvin Johnson. CJ attended the school that is currently his younger cousins No.1 choice, Georgia Tech. Many believe he may want to step out of the shadow of his cousin and create his own legacy.

“If Calvin`s helped me with anything through this process it`s been to be my own man and make my own legacy. He`s a faithful GT Yellow Jacket for life so he`s given me direct insight about the program, what it takes to be a Yellow Jacket and what types of things the school can offer. But he`s also been persistent that I need to figure out for myself whats the best fit to put me, hopefully in a position down the line that I can be in the League and have an impact like him. If I want to do anything like my older cousin it`s going to be also make it into the League and hopefully drafted in the first round and break records there as well”

Marcus does just about everything you could hope from a No.1 wideout, he can run, he can catch passes, he can return kicks and he even plays a little tailback for his N. Fort Myers HS team. Up until this season, MJ88 played both ways for his high school team even furthering his athletic versatility as an outside linebacker and recorded 28 tackles 6 sacks and 4INTs in his junior season but his coach elected to keep him on the offensive side of the ball, where he projects to dominate at the next level of competition. What scouts rave about this kid is that often when athletes are this talented, they have some baggage and off the field issues to go along with it. Marcus is an extremely strong character kid who rarely gets a penalty flag thrown against him. He plays hard and until the whistle and is very good at getting underneath an opposing defensive backs skin with his ability to disable any of their attempts to shut him down with his skill and size.

“Between the whistles, I`m a trash talker on the field… I let them know I`m going to make them look stupid and as soon as the play is done I`m the first to pat a defender on the back and tell them when they made a good play. I just love competing and I want teams to hate to play against me and hate even more to admit I`m a good guy out there ” Johnson chuckles.

There`s no question this kid is going to be a stud where ever he signs in February, and Johnson eludes that his decision may come sooner than his fans expect.

• Like Like x 2
  16. cyhiphopp

cyhiphopp Walk On

Marcus must have shaved his beard I guess.

Capture.JPG

17. macc24usc

macc24usc Walk On

18. macc24usc

macc24usc Walk On

marcus tweet.png

All reports seemed to indicate consensus #1 overall player WR Marcus Johnson (N. Fort Meyers, Fla.) would be announcing his college decision after his two big official visits to his top 2 schools Georgia Tech and Florida State. It was last week that Georgia Tech hopped Auburn after his week 5 official to Atlanta and speculation Auburn told Johnson he would be their only wide receiver target and have signed received commitments from two players almost certainly cut out to play receiver in the Tiger system. It was no surprise MJ88 didn't like the way Auburn was handling his recruitment and he wasn't afraid to talk about it. Georgia Tech looked to be in the driver seat with a good week 5 visit before he spent his week 6 with cousin NFL Superstar Calvin Johnson, during his bye week after the Lions faced Jacksonville this past week. All indications appeared as if Calvin's visit would further sway his GT lean, as it is CJ's alma mater.

Marcus however is on his official in Tallahassee this week and Marcus wanted it to be announced at the game this afternoon so he posted his pledge this morning on the social media network for everybody to see. Johnson is on his official with nearly the rest of the Seminoles targets - #1 5* MLB Pat Dunbar, #3 G Ben White, #26 ATH Chris Fields and #6 3* K Ivan McDonald. The host of visit would be true freshman former south Florida prep star Chip Mitchell.

"Chip's really stressed the big time change in the environment at FSU. I can tell he's being honest because he didn't even commit here for the staff that's here now. Usually there's a bit of confliction when you have the opportunity to go to almost any Florida school you want to and before you begin your freshman year there's a sudden coaching change. I believe him because he's a guy who like me had options and he says he couldn't be happier he chose FSU. This was the biggest impact of my decision and from what I've learned from him and have learned about Coach Macc and FSU.... I've learned enough that this is where I want to be and this is the perfect spot to cement my legacy," Johnson told NoleNation.com

The Seminole staff swung for the fences and boy did they connect. Johnson establishes what should be a lethal passing attack for at least the next two seasons in the duo of Mitchell and Johnson. He jumps right into the mix next season in the receiving corps and we wouldn't be suprirsed if he surpasses Mitchell's yardage and touchdown stats, as he's on pace to break current freshman ACC records.

Unfortunately the staff lost out on two big 5* prospects in Aaron Gallagher and Cliff Jones. Both are huge blows because they were the #2 and #3 targets on the recruiting board. Gallagher would fill the much needed void at the corner back position while Jones would add some speed into the backfield, something Macc has proved he is desperate for in this class to match with will be SR RB Brandon Hurst. Don't be surprised to see the staff put the full court press on 4* ATH Chris Fields who the Noles were recruiting for a number of positions allready, as they attempt to woe him with the guarentee he will be in the backfield, a position he's made abundantly clear is his natural position and where he wants to play in college.

As for corner, JUCO 2* CB Jeremy Kirby has pledged his alliegance the 20 year old from North Port, Al. has terrific cover skills but will need to improve his ability to keep up with speedy receivers down field. A prime candidate for a redshirt next season to preserve his two remaining years of eligibility, don't be surprised to see Kirby make an impact on the field the following year.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2012
    • Like Like x 3
  19. Glen Cieske

Glen Cieske Walk On

Wisconsin Lands two top recruits TE Todd Bowie (#90 Overall #4 TE) and FS Tyler Kirkpatrick (#77 Overall #2 FS)

ScreenHunter_21 Dec. 31 13.50.jpg ScreenHunter_22 Dec. 31 13.50.jpg

Kirkpatrick will most likely be penciled in as the starting SS when he arrives on campus, which will give the Badgers one of the biggest most fierce Saftey combinations in Captain Kirk and Tyrone McKenzie.

ScreenHunter_22 Dec. 31 13.56.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  20. fishdock

fishdock Walk On

HUGE WEEK FOR SOONERS​
    This week, the Sooners got hard commits from three of the top ATH in the country, as well as the #1 T prospect in the country, and the #3 WR, as well as a committment from the #2 TE in the class last week:​

D.Thurman-TE.jpg

DEVRON THURMAN, TE : Thurman is a huge kid who looks to help the Sooners establish the run game and move the chains on short passing downs. Coming out of high school, Thurman will have the benefit of not being needed immediately to work on his hands and serve as the number two tight end in running formations.

M.Walker-T.jpg

MICHAEL WALKER, T : The Sooner coaching staff is jacked about Walker making his way to Norman. Ranked as the #1 tackle prospect in this year's class, Walker actually graded out lower than he was projected, but his numbers are still fantastic. The Sooners are losing three tackles to graduation this year, and should have a chance to compete for the starting RT spot based on progressions this summer.

G.Hampton-WR.jpg

GRANT HAMPTON, WR : Hampton is an interesting prospect who the Sooners were able to steal from South Carolina. To put it simply, the kid catches anything that is thrown his way. He's not a burner, and he doesn't have the size to go across the middle and take a shot from a safety without losing his chin strap, so it will be exciting to see how the Sooners deploy him in the offense. There have already been numerous comparisons to Wes Welker in regards to his catching ability, and the Sooners are licking their chops at the prospect of using this kid in many different ways.

C.Jones-ATH.jpg

CLIFTON JONES, ATH (projected RB) : Clifton Jones was the first of the three headed monster of athletes that committed to Oklahoma this week. On first look, the Sooners see a new Early King in Clifton Jones. That being said, the Sooners may actually keep him in the backfield, and allow him to use his legs while his hands work their way up to receiver level. The Sooners also believe that Jones will be returning kicks and punts for the Sooners, possibly from the day he steps on campus.

M.Waters-ATH.jpg

MARVIN WATERS, ATH (projected CB) : The second athlete of the week for the Sooners is Marvin Waters, possibly one of the best cornerback prospects that has ever come to Norman. With the group of cornerbacks that are currently playing between the sidelines for the Sooners, Waters should have the opportunity to see the field from day one, possibly at one of the starting cornerback spots.

J.Moore-ATH.jpg

JEFF MOORE, ATH (projected TE) : Jeff Moore is the third athlete commit coming to Norman after Week 7. Moore can do a lot, both with his legs and with his hands. As of right now, Moore projects to be a TE in the Oklahoma system, possibly the receiving complement to #2 TE Devron Thurman. The Sooners are very excited about the idea of having two TE sets with Moore going out for passes and Thurman staying on the line protecting his quarterback.

21. Crumbler81

Crumbler81 Walk On

I wave my fist in your general direction!

22. webbs6212

webbs6212 Walk On

Iowa's commits threw week 8.

week8.jpg

23. Crumbler81

Crumbler81 Walk On

Wolverines Add 2 More to Recruiting Class

ScreenHunter_656 Dec. 31 18.25.jpg ScreenHunter_657 Dec. 31 18.25.jpg

FS Phil Mcrae should develop well as a good run-supporting safety and may start as an upper-classmen. HB Loren Pearson will add some depth as Michigan's younger backs continue to develop.

24. Spayer419

Spayer419 Walk On

Buckeyes Pleased With Strong Recruiting Class
    As recruiting season heats up across the country, it's actually starting to wind down in Columbus, Ohio. Not surprising, when you consider that the Buckeyes have already signed seven 5-star and five four-star prospects, and are ranked as ESPN's top recruiting class. Here's a look at OSU's stellar class, and how the incoming freshmen project.
    Running Backs
    Will Chavis (#1 HB, *****)
    Cornell Landrum (#2 HB, *****)
    A priority position for the Buckeyes this season is running back, and boy did the coaching staff hit a homerun with this group. Chavis and Landrum are the top two backs in the country, and will each have bright futures in the scarlet and grey. Interestingly, both are power running backs, different from the style we've been accustomed to seeing with players like McLaurin and Anderson. OSU will likely look for a speed back next year to compliment this duo, but they have plenty of speed already on the roster. Landrum will likely get some playing time next season, while the more raw Chavis could redshirt.
    Wide Receivers
    Isaac Smith (#5 WR, *****)
    Matt Hale (#12 WR, ****)
    Ryan Bell (#1 TE, *****)
    OSU looked to add at least two receivers this year, and though they missed on top-priority target Manuel McClain to Texas, they signed two prospects they really like. Smith is a nice possession receiver that runs crisp routes and will remind many of Brian Hartline or Anthony Gonzalez. Hale is only a four-star, but might be the most talented player in this year's class. He projects as an 81 overall and is expected to be OSU's starting split end next season. Both are tall receivers, so OSU will likely target a speedy slot talent next year. For the second consecutive year OSU landed the nation's top tight end prospect in Bell, who could play immediately and projects as an excellent blocker and possession receiver.
    Offensive Line
    Wayne Archie (#3 T, *****)
    Terry Green (#27 T, ***)
    Reggie Lewis (#12 C, ***)
    OSU likes to bring in 3-4 offensive linemen each year, and are very happy with this year's group. Archie was a priority target, that could find himself in the two-deep from day one. Green and Lewis are under the radar recruits that project as an 81 and 80 overall respectively, and have bright futures ahead.
    Linebackers
    Dane Wright (#1 OLB, *****)
    After hauling in an impressive group of linebackers last season, OSU didn't expect to go after anybody. But Dane Wright's talent caught Meyer's eye, and apparently the feeling was mutual. OSU out-recruited the likes of Alabama and Texas for this stud prospect, and fans will be glad they did. Wright is an excellent prospect, and might move to middle linebacker once on campus.
    Defensive Backs
    Mike Bell (#1 FS, ****)
    OSU is short at safety next season, so Bell could play right away. That likely lured him to Columbus, but the Ohio prospect will need to tune his coverage skills to play as a freshman. He's a superior athlete, but that will only get you so far at the next level.
    Specialists
    Shaun Larson (#2 K, ****)
    A rare four-star kicking prospect, Larson will start as a freshman at OSU
    Athletes
    Larry Minor (#7 ATH, *****)
    Austin Watkins (#10 ATH, ****)
    Dave Walker (#17 ATH, ****)
    A good group of athletes coming in once again for the Buckeyes. Minor is an exciting prospect, at 6'4 projects as a nice possession receiver, but has nice speed as well. He's not as physically gifted as Hale, and not as polished yet as Smith, but Buckeye Nation will be thrilled to have Minor on campus for many years. Watkins is a special prospect with plenty of raw talent and plenty of speed. Meyer just needs to decide where to play him so he can focus on one area and hone his god-given talents. He projects well as a defensive back or a running back. Walker is a defensive lineman in the making, and might remind some of John Simon with his tenacity and work ethic.

• Like Like x 2
  25. cyhiphopp

cyhiphopp Walk On

The ND class is filling up fast. 10 of the 12 available schollies have been filled and not a single skill position player except for two FBs (who I don't really count as skill positions, at least not in the current Irish offense.)

The latest additions have filled all of the needs for this class. The remaining 2 schollies will be for depth.

Capture.JPG

This guy fills the last need with style as the #1 rated center. He should have the chance to develop into a stalwart on the line.

Capture.JPG

Lee at CB give the Irish another solid piece in the secondary where they have been building a solid base the past few years. He should be able to redshirt due to the existing depth and then tear into opposing offenses as a Rs FR.

Capture.JPG

Shuler looks like a steal at LB. He's not fully scouted but his numbers so far look well above his projections. He will most likely move outside due to his good speed and possibly lower STR.