Closing Out Games

Discussion in 'NCAA Football' started by BadaBing319, Oct 2, 2010.

1. BadaBing319

BadaBing319 OMFL Broncos / PMFL Eagles

Closing Out Games

I just need to vent here and maybe pick up something from comments that I can use to help me out. My last three Madden games, I have held leads in the fourth quarter only to watch those leads disappear. Two of the defeats came on 50+ yard passes with time expiring with me playing a prevent defense. Somehow, in both cases, the receiver was able to get behind the defense to make the catch.

I play great for three quarters, but cannot seem to close the deal. Any thoughts or suggestions? Tonight's TMFL game was just about the last straw. Gave up a 52-yard TD play on the very last play of the game. Two point conversion tied it and lost the game in OT.

2. DirtycashDylan

DirtycashDylan I came here to scheme and chew bubblegum...

Anquan Boldin ftw

3. smlVICTORIES53

smlVICTORIES53 Walk On

All I can think of is stay aggressive. If you're only up 7 do what you've been doing. Drive it down and put the dagger in. Now if your up big just run it out. I never run the actual prevent

4. MaxATX34

MaxATX34 Texas Football

I havent played Madden, but if its anything like NCAA then defense is kind of a joke.

At first I jokingly compared NCAA 11 to NCAA 09... Now Its not so much of a joke. Whoever has the ball last wins more often than not.

5. JerzeyReign

JerzeyReign #BeatOhio

I'm having a hard time closing out games as well. Most of it is on me because I get conservative. In my head a 21 point lead is enough no matter what point in the game I'm currently at. Sometimes I'll play conservative in one possession games where I should be alittle more aggressive to put the nail in the coffin. In four user games in Cream of the Crop I've failed to close out two games late in the game. I'm talking the other user (same user BTW) needed to go at least 80 yards for the win with less than a minute left. I've lost the games with 8 seconds and 14 seconds left in the game. In the other two I jumped out to huge leads to only sit there and need my defense to step up inside the redzone to seal them.

I let go of the gas too early. I'm starting to believe if I'm not up by 28 in the second half, keep my foot on my opponents throat. The offense has the advantage in NCAA and 9 times out of ten your going to need to keep scoring until your late in the fourth or whenever you can chew clock (or up by 28 because 21 doesn't cut it in my experiences so far) to win.

Right now I call at least 20 different plays on defense, maybe I should just stick with the basic Cover 2 man and a couple of zones that worked well against the current user in late game situations. I don't know but I'm having alot of heartbreakers as of late, courtesy of JFunk of Cream of the Crop:)

6. Hova

Hova Live Action. YiYiYi!

Take your safety and run back to the endzone before everyone else, no way they can get behind you then lol

7. DreSmithJr

DreSmithJr It Be So EMPTY, WITHOUT ME...

i lost 1 game here on TF when I was up by 10 in the forth then got too conservative. NEVER AGAIN has that happened

I put nails in the coffin more then not now.

if im up 14 in the forth.. im gonna try and score again.

There is such a thing as sportsmanship, then there is giving up the game tryna be nice..

u have to find that line and keep it closer to the "Nail in the coffin side" then the "I just blew my lead side"

just my 2 cents

8. JerzeyReign

JerzeyReign #BeatOhio

Sportsmanship has a role in my conservative play, no doubt. I think the 3 minute mark (depending on quarter length) is the "line". Once your under that then using the chew clock feature should be utilized. If the other user isn't using his timeouts (obvious white flag) just run the ball and make him use them with chew clock on.

I'll probably never change up the way I play and will probably will blow alot more games, then again I'll probably steal a couple here and there as well(y)

9. JFunk34

JFunk34 Friends may come and go, but enemies accumulate.

Good advice Jerzey, especially since we just booted a guy from a premier league because he was throwing deep under 2 minutes. 2-3 minutes left, up by 14, you should be running the ball. Period.

10. whygodwhy1111

whygodwhy1111 Walk On

For me there is this awkward period where you have a good lead late, and you feel like you should run the ball more than you normally would because thats what happens in real football. This results in more punts than your normal offense would incur (you are wasting downs rushing on a defense that expects run). On top of this, because it is unsportsman like to intentionally run clock before it is allowed you don't get any of the benefit from running which is why coaches run in the first place. Running 5 to 10 seconds off the clock is not worth an increased chance of having to punt (especially if you complete 80% of your passes).

If you think the other team has any chance of winning, I think its fair to run your normal offense until you are allowed to run the clock.

Then the question becomes what do you do when you cross into the chew clock period and the other team is using there Timeouts and committing to the run / engage 8. I would assume its ok to pass for a first down to continue burn threw their timeouts.

Which then begs the question, if you are close to being able to run the clock out, is it ok to intentionally fall down or get tackled after a first down and before a TD? Or how close do you have to be to running the clock out to do it? And is it ok to do it if you just want to run clock and kick a game winning FG? Then on the flip side is it ok to intentionally let the other team score so you have a chance to win?

11. Shaun Mason

Shaun Mason Somebody you used to know.

Featured Threads:
    I'm not seeing this so much...

12. BIGFOOT999

BIGFOOT999 Walk On

Me neither.... I feel very capable on Defense with good sliders. Esp on NCAA and even Madden is a little better with the recent patch.

13. BadaBing319

BadaBing319 OMFL Broncos / PMFL Eagles

I concur with this 100%...I'm more concerned about being sim than winning (which is a good thing), but sometimes it comes back to bite me...

14. JerzeyReign

JerzeyReign #BeatOhio

You know what's crazy about this post. In last year's version of NCAA I was up on you by about 13 in the fourth on six minute quarters in Saturday Heroes. It had to be at least only 3 minutes left in the game when you made your comeback. If I would of kept passing and scored again I would of been told I was running up the score. Instead I ran into your blitz packages because that was the "sportsman" thing to do.

I don't believe for one second if I would of kept passing and would of scored you would of taken that lightly.

In case your having a WTF moment right now... you were Washington and I was Tennessee... it happened right before I had to move to Germany:cool:

15. Full Moon Fever

Full Moon Fever Champion of Standards

Y'all may not agree with this, but this is how I've coached 8th and 9th graders. If I'm up more than 14 points in the 4th quarter, I'll be content to run the ball out. But if the defense is still going to try to win, then I'm still going to try to score. Meaning if they are going to blitz, I am going to find ways to beat the blitz. If they are content sitting back in their normal defense, I'm content to call dives and zones. If they start taking advantage of the fact that I'm trying to have mercy, well I'm not going to get a kid hurt by giving him the ball with a head start into a defense that I know damn well we can't block. As long as I see the defense continuing to fight, my offense is going to fight. It would be nice to have the kind of players up front where you could pound the ball down their throat regardless of what they're doing. But if you're a spread team and throw the ball a lot, you're not going to realistically line up in an I formation and iso them to death. I'll stay in a spread formation and if they start bringing the house, a quick hit to the slot guys is an effective way to keep the chains moving and the clock counting.

16. OsirisMonster

OsirisMonster Walk On

If you are up by 14 with under 3 minutes left and all you see are 9 - 10 men in the box on every play then I'd start passing. It is suicide to run against stacked box like that and you are better off forcing the defense to respect the pass then letting them get away with selling 100% to the run. 14 points isn't so many points. A few deep pass plays from the other team and it's a tie game.

17. whygodwhy1111

whygodwhy1111 Walk On

I have never been a member of saturdays heroes. I do not own a PS3.

The reason I made the post and think that is the fair way to play is because I have been on both sides of the coin several times. The game Dre was referring to earlier in this thread was against me. He destroyed me through the air. But in the mid 4th quarter with a 13 point lead he ran of 1st and 2nd down, failed on third and was forced to punt. This was probably the only point in the game that he ran on both first and second down. I came back and won in overtime. I told him after the game that I noticed him change his play calling and attributed my win to it. Told him he did not need to pull punches on me, especially when the game is not yet decided.

18. JerzeyReign

JerzeyReign #BeatOhio

Oh, name lookd familiar and I knew he was a Husky fan. My bad bruh

19. BigSmooth33

BigSmooth33 Walk On

Man are you spot on... After just losing a 14 point lead in the 4th due to the run, run, then awww shit approach, I'm pretty sure the only way I'm not running my normal offense into the 4th is if there is a 3 score lead.

20. JerzeyReign

JerzeyReign #BeatOhio

Just had to post in this thread because.... I BLEW ANOTHER LEAD IN THE FOURTH QUARTER!!!!.... FML:)

21. Hellisan

Hellisan Schemin 'em up

I have been thinking long and hard about whether I wanted to post in this thread (if I had good advice etc.) and I guess I'll go ahead and post. For whatever reason....and maybe I'm forgetting some forgettable games or something... I rarely have people come back against me.

I get blown out, I occasionally blow someone else out, and there are close wins and losses... But rarely do I let somebody come back from a long way down. ooops, I just remembered one... Last year, one did happen. But even that was a big lead early against a guy that I knew could score a lot of points.

One thing I wonder about is if you're mis-terming this. If it's a close game... It's not "closing the game out" that you should be concerned with, it should be to continue to out play the other guy. So let's call it what it is. If they're within a touchdown and then they beat you late. That was'n't a comeback, that was just a win in a close game. Right?

If it's not a close game, and you're consistently letting people come from a long way down and then beat you, then maybe you have an issue. But if it's just losing close games late... then I think your issue is in the entire way you're approaching this thing. Just because you have a close lead in the 4th quarter doesn't mean you SHOULD win. You shouldn't chalk that up as a win and start thinking about how to close the game out... how to most quickly end it... how to get it over with... Your entire focus should be on playing well and winning.

22. MurkYa21

MurkYa21 Walk On

great sig btw Helli haha!

23. JerzeyReign

JerzeyReign #BeatOhio

Me personally, I'm talking leading by 17-21 at one point in the game... at least by 10 in the fourth and blowing the game... don't know how everyone is defining it... trust me when I get kicked in the nuts I know:)

24. ChickenOfTheSea

ChickenOfTheSea TMFL Goat Herder

Hey Jerzey, I dont have any miracle cures. I do know that when I am winning I am very conscious of sportsmanship. making sure I run, (which I suck at) spread the ball around, mix up play calls. dont over blitz. punt. etc. When I'm losing most of the TF leagues actually favor the loser. they can go for 4th downs all over the field. pass non stop. run hurry up. really the game and rules favor them.

I know I came back from 17-0 at half this week TMFL to beat Roll2Tide 28-24. And I know he had to be going crazy. he was playing balanced, punting when I stopped him. etc. meanwhile I'm passing, running reverses, feeding one WR, converting 4th downs. Did he have opportunities to stop me? of course. but sometimes it happens.

I try hard to play fearless leading or trailing. But just like sundays its impossible. you see coaches leading by 14 in the NFL goto Prevent at the end of a half and give up scores all the time.

25. JerzeyReign

JerzeyReign #BeatOhio

Actually you play like I play with a lead. I actually don't hitstick with a lead or manually go for the strip because when I first joined TF I played in the OMFL... I was up on my opponent and I hit sticked 'em and he threw a tantrum so I don't do it any more.

I'm the Lebron James of NCAA '11, no killer instinct.... in NCAA '10 I was Kobe, Team ShutDown... I'm just going to post in this thread everytime I blow a lead and see how many times I can do it:)