Club Strategy

Discussion in 'TFCL - Tradition Futbol Clubs League' started by BlyGilmore, Sep 21, 2010.

1. BlyGilmore

BlyGilmore It's All In The Hips!

Club Strategy

Never to early to start thinking about our club and what we're going to look like IMO (can't wait to start playing again - we need to have a bash that first night and get all of us on).

Now let me preface this by saying everybody should create pros they're going to have fun with and not choose a role they might not enjoy playing.

But with that said I think one of the issues we had last season was too many "small fast quick winger" guys and not enough variety.

Here are a few of the types of players I think we might need to help make sure we have a winning club. And depending on how traits work with our virtual pros this year, it might be very important to have guys thinking of certain roles before launch.

- Strong, tall striker. Most of our players tended to be the small winger/Messi types last season. I think we really need a guy who's good in the air, can draw defenses in and be a big target for crosses into the box. And not a gay monstrosity of a striker. Like a 6'2" guy.

- Playmaker. Two flavors of this guy. The attacking central midfielder who is looking to press the opposition and linkup with the striker. And depending on the formation, a striker who plays off the big guy above. In both cases they need to be good all around players who can pass, dribble and shoot from range.

- Winger. probably what most of us were last season. certainly needed, but hopefully a few folks take some other roles on. But I think these guys also need to realize they'll be playing some defense and needing to cover both roles.

- Defensive midfielders. With how most folks play this game, having a couple of holding midfielders in the lineup i think will be huge. After i lost my first pro I created a guy that was more in this mold and he did pretty well (although i could never catch up to pros that had been around for four months already). Basically a guy to intercept passes who is good enough passing to start a counter-attack and also able to fire shots from outside. I'm going to be creating a guy like this.

- Offensive wingbacks. IMO one thing I'd love to see us able to do this time around is be able to attack with wingbacks up the pitch, but have midfielders that are smart enough to pull back and cover us.

- The dreaded center half. Boring as hell to play. But i think having some guys who focus on playing defense and mopping up anything that gets past the holding midfielders would be a huge advantage. lets face it - most teams last year couldn't play defense worth a shit.

- Goalkeeper. My educated guess is most teams aren't going to have a human keeper. This is what happened in NHL when they added 5v5. The average player was so horrible the computer was a much better option. But the teams that had a great human keeper dominated.

Formation? I'd love to see us do something like 4-2-3-1. The key here would be the offensive wing backs with the holding midfielders covering and the front midfielders occasionally hanging back.

Targerman striker up front. playing behind him is a playmaking CAM with two wide midfielders. Standard back four with two defensive minded - counterattacking midfielders.

It would be awesome to be able to coordinate and have both of the midfield/wingers left footed. This would let the LM be able to fire natural footed crosses in, while the RM can cut back toward the box and fire missles with his strong foot moving toward the center of the field (think Robben or Man City's Johnson against Liverpool a few weeks ago).

Then coordinate with the wingbacks to be the opposite. the RWB able to cross in with his natural foot. the LWB able to cut in and pepper the goal on the other side.

2. Basis4aDay56

Basis4aDay56 Walk On

I would love to take the other defensive midfielder spot. I haven't played Fifa in a while, but in the past, my strengths are taking away passing lanes and doing my own passing, more of a facilitator role with the occasional shot opportunity. I also will have some height and size to my player (about 6'1).

3. Drifterbub

Drifterbub Help me hide a body?

Featured Threads:
    My guy was 6'2'' last year and I played CAM for the majority of the club games. I liked feeding the small, quick strikers we did have, but we definitely needed a larger presence on the jump balls. I probably led the club in headed goals as I attacked from the top of the box. I was caught too far forward a lot of times though.

I like playing a midfielder spot, delivering the ball and making the goalie work with powerful shots towards the upper corners.

Having said that, I'm really down to play whatever. I think I fit best in the middle, but I can play either winger or up front. I'm also addicted to the achievements in the game and will probably have my guy up to speed in no time, haha.

4. jms493

jms493 Veteran Member

would love to play but shit...im confused.:confused::confused:

5. RynoAid

RynoAid ..

think raquetball, but without the raquet, walls or stupid rules...

6. Colemanchu

Colemanchu GOAT SPLITTER

Recruit Mutt!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

7. BlyGilmore

you grabbing FIFA? Cool thing about this year is we can practice as a team and help out some folks who are new to FIFA.

8. Drifterbub

Featured Threads:
    Which honestly is going to be huge for us. Wish we had it last year. There is going to be a lot of guys who fall in love with the Virtual Pro feature that aren't necessarily into soccer that much.

9. Basis4aDay56

Basis4aDay56 Walk On

It will definitely help me immensely. I haven't picked up FIFA since 08, though I've played it (and still have a little skill) over the past couple years at friends' houses. Really looking forward to scooping it up. I have fought the urge to join another online dynasty or two in anticipation of FIFA!

Also, like Drift it really doesn't matter to me where I play. I would like to be a CDM but if it isn't in the cards, I don't mind. I am just looking forward to getting out there and messing around, and having some fun with it.

10. KoG CHEESEDIP

KoG CHEESEDIP Walk On

I'd love to play on the wing, whether its pushing forward as a wingback or just playing on the wing. Preferably i'd like to play offensive wingback as i like playing some defense but i also like to make long runs up the pitch. I want my player to be molded after steve cherundolo .

11. Drifterbub

Featured Threads:
    Cheesedip is a good passer too.

12. Colemanchu

Colemanchu GOAT SPLITTER

You guys are making me want to pick this game up so I can dust off mr E. Asux and air mail shots over the cross bar.

13. BlyGilmore

yup. been saying for years this kind of thing is the next step for sports video games (wrote a few columns for Operation Sports on it). Taking a step away from the traditional game but instead making the focal part of the game creating a player and jumping into games with folks from all over to level him up.

basically sports games meet MMOs/FPSs. anybody remember that text web football game? where you created a player, got signed by a human onto a team and leveled him up? same idea but with you actually playing.

14. jms493

jms493 Veteran Member

I liked the demo....

15. BlyGilmore

trust me man - the demo's all well and good but playing as one guy with other folks around you takes the game to another level.

16. DelZaster

DelZaster Walk On

Hi guys. I havent been around much at all lately due to yep you guessed it a little health issue. I would like to sign on for your club squad if youl have me. I will play when I can even if just to make numbers up. I will be as usual making a left footed player n will play anywhere.

17. Drifterbub

Featured Threads:
    Del is definitely a good guy to have as a left footed winger. He can send in some brilliant crosses.

18. BlyGilmore

I'm bored lol ...

ST - Coleman

LW/LM - Del
    CAM - Drifter
    RW/RM - Cheesedip

DM - BlyGilmore
    DM - Basis

LWB - JMS
    CB -
    CB -
    RWB - Ryno

GK -

not to shabby.

19. Drifterbub

Featured Threads:
    Me too!

ST - Cheesdip

RF- Cole/Basis

LM - Del
    LCAM - Drifter
    RM/RCM - Ryno

DM - BlyGilmore
    DM - Basis/Cole

LWB -
    CB -
    CB -
    RWB - JMS

GK -

20. KoG CHEESEDIP

KoG CHEESEDIP Walk On

It is looking like we could have a very nice team this year.

21. BlyGilmore

i think between starting at launch (so we aren't playing teams that have been around for three months) and hopefully having a few more bodies we should be pretty good.

plus if folks work on their virtual pro with their position in mind i think we'll be better. last year I think for the most part we were all midfielders and strikers trying to play other positions without the stats to back it up.

personally the first thing i'm gonna do is play some games as a defender to get some of those easy marking unlocks (assuming the game is setup the same this year in that regards - haven't really read anything about it).

22. OregonGunner

OregonGunner Walk On

Hey Guys! I am new to TF. Got into it for the NCAA Dynasties, but FIFA is my favorite sports game. I would love to join the club if you have room.

I played FIFA clubs last year, so I have some experience. Played a lot of CAM and CDM last year, but will play where ever the club needs me.

EDIT-Now that I am reading more, I think this is for XBOX, I FIFA it up on PS3 so I can't join.....

23. Blaza

Blaza In Arsene Wenger I Trust

Cheers to the Gunners!!!!

24. MoonBBad

MoonBBad http://twitch.tv/moonbbad

Hey gents I would love a tryout today if possible. I am going to be picking up the game this morning then playing it all day since I took the day off work. I have been playing FIFA for a while and online clubs heavily since last years game. I am prob best suited to be a playmaker. Not so much scoring goals all the time but creating space good service in the box, and making the people around me better.

I love setting up sick goals for others and am best suited as an attacking midfielder or a winger, however I could also play as a box to box midfielder in a more withdrawn position in the midfield depending on the formation. I have club experience and would love to have a chance to join this club as I am much more involved in the TF community this year than I was last year.

Contact info is above and below. Look forward to seeing you online!

25. Drifterbub

Featured Threads:
    Moon, unfortunately we are all XBOX guys.