Clubs Tactics Update JAN 2012

Discussion in 'TFCL - Tradition Futbol Clubs League' started by PIG BOMB, Jan 5, 2012.

1. PIG BOMB

PIG BOMB Walk On

Just some thoughts after playing this week >>intended to help new people.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Anyway...just some ideas and concepts that I've heard new guys asking about.

• Like Like x 2
  2. PIG BOMB

PIG BOMB Walk On

3. Shaun Mason

Shaun Mason Somebody you used to know.

Featured Threads:
    Woohoo, I'll read later.

4. elprez98

elprez98 Walk On

Some of the main things I feel we should work:

1. We've got to work on our patience and spacing.

There are too many times where we are too eager to run up the touchline only to get trapped by two defenders and the touchline. As as winger or striker, just take a breath and look back. 9/10 there is going to be an open CM or even attacking wing back to reset the attack or someone who iscutting towards the box to put pressure on the defense that is pressuring our wingers way too hard.

2. Use of our midfielders.

Its got to be frustrating to be a LCM/RCM or even a CAM on the squad. As wingers and strikers, we almost always bypass them, again hugging the touchline. The passes tend to go from fullback to winger and that's limiting our attack options. The pitch is huge and we tend to ignore the pressure that midfielders can add. They should be the ones setting up the offense, not us as the wingers and strikers.

3. Making the easy pass.

I'm a huge culprit here. Instead of trying to make the highlight lob or through pass all of the time, we should try to be more aware of moving toward the ball and giving the dribbler multiple short easy pass options. Many of us run away from the ball trying to clear space for the ball-handler, and I understand that. But we've got to work on creating shorter and easier passes for each other.

Quite frankly, I'm really excited about the way our defense plays overall. Their communication is already light years ahead of the offense and I think it shows. They play really well.

We might want to consider breaking into parties (offense, midfield, and defense) to facilitate better communication on nights when we have a large group like last night. It may help communication within the sections of the field and create better team play.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2012
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Drifterbub

Drifterbub Help me hide a body?

Featured Threads:
    soccer.JPG

• Like Like x 3
  6. elprez98

elprez98 Walk On

You almost made me wake my wife up. I'm laughing too hard over here.

• Like Like x 1
  7. MoonBBad

MoonBBad http://twitch.tv/moonbbad

[​IMG]

There are some key points here. Look where the RCM and LCM are in this picture, directly in front of the centerbacks for the most part. That's why we get killed on the counters is because when both the RCM and LCM press up it leaves that area open for the opposing team's midfield to run straight through the middle on us and puts too much pressure on the backline to hold them. There were way too many times where our back line got shredded with through passes when guys were full sprint running down the field.

I for one will do a better job of making sure I get back in support like on the picture in the right. I generally play like the picture on the left where I am kind of hovering near the half line.

I have no problem with the CM's getting involved in the attack, but you damn well better be sprinting your ass back if the ball gets turned over to cover that ground, and/or let me know so I can try to get back and help cover.

• Like Like x 1
  8. MoonBBad

9. hammerhead1010

hammerhead1010 Walk On

10. Leander Francisco

Leander Francisco Walk On

Defense: Defensively, I think we are good for the most part. Every now and then, a fullback will get caught behind the rest of the back four and end up playing on a striker that gets put through. Other than that, I believe that our defense is typically the strongest aspect of the team. It gets even stronger when we have one our human keepers is back there.

Midfield: Our midfielders (myself included) have developed a tendency to push too far forward at times. However, I have this down as more of a formation issue and I will explain later. Additionally, I believe our midfielders are passed up too quickly in favor of the long ball. As elprez98 said, the ball typically gets played from the defense to the forwards. There was a game last night where I only attempted 9 passes. I'm not demanding more of the ball, but midfielders typically see more of the ball as it is their responsibility to control the tempo and get the ball to the forwards.

Forwards: Because we play 433, our wide players have the responsibility of providing our striker with crosses. Unfortunately, that doesn't seem to happen enough. What ends up happening a lot is that the wide players end up trapped in the corner with nowhere to go, resulting in a turnover. Adding to the point I made earlier in regards to the midfield, there doesn't seem to be the willingness to pass it back to the midfielders in that situation or passing backwards in general.

Formation: As I mentioned earlier, our midfielders have a tendency to push too far forward, leaving our backline exposed to counter attacks. I believe this is down to the formation. As PIG BOMB mentioned earlier, sometimes he was running into the space vacated by Drifterbub, which is what he is supposed to do. However, this requires myself, MoonBBad, and elprez98 to make runs into the box to hopefully receive a cross. Sometimes that cross is made, sometimes it isn't. But what does happen is the ball ends up back in the area the midfielders vacated when they made their run and leads to a counter. Also, whether it be PIG BOMB or Drifterbub playing striker, I feel that the 433 leaves them far too isolated and they are tasked with the responsibility of converting almost all of our chances.

I feel that a 4132 would be worth trying out. We would have a CDM with the responsibility of protecting the back four defensively, providing them with a safe outlet to pass to, and starting the attack by getting the ball to the midfielders. The RM and LM would still provide us with the width needed when sending in crosses while attacking and the defensive cover that is important when they track back. The CAM will have the most creative responsibility whether they are making sure passes get out to the wings quickly or putting the strikers through on goal. The good thing about this formation is that there should be enough space for the CAM and STs to interchange positions.

[​IMG]

Random: We have to keep the ball moving. Too often players hold onto the ball too long. And there are times where players look for the sensational goal instead of playing someone else in.

• Like Like x 1
  11. hammerhead1010

hammerhead1010 Walk On

I like this whole thread. This is very good stuff.

12. PIG BOMB

PIG BOMB Walk On

good points... this formation might be an easy way to solve some of our issues and simplify tactics

i also think now that we have a crew that play regularly we'll just get better and better...plus our pros are getting better which helps a great deal

i know i like the 433 because of its commitment to attacking but with our players we may end up winning more games with a formation like this that has 2 strikers and a dedicated DM

13. hammerhead1010

hammerhead1010 Walk On

I do like some defensive mid.

14. MoonBBad

I believe we tried this formation before... However, I am willing to give it another shot. Back then we were playing like dogshit. Now we are playing much better. Still room for improvement of course or we wouldn't have this thread, but I feel we are going in the right direction.

Let's give this formation a shot on tomorrow night if you guys want to run some clubs tomorrow. I will get a thread up in a bit.

15. MoonBBad

I also think it's worth discussing the proper defensive and offensive strategies to be successful running this formation. That way no one is confused how we're supposed to play and so we can be more effective using it properly.

PIG BOMB
    Leander Francisco

16. Timpegoose

Timpegoose Walk On

I still think we're at our best with Drifter as the lone striker, and wingers able to create for him. If we do go with the 4-1-3-2 I think we need to stagger the forwards a bit to give each other more space. A lot of times with 2 or 3 forwards it seems to turn into a cluster fuck in the box.

Defensively I think we either need our outside backs to pinch in a bit more to cut off those long balls, or make one of our CB's slightly faster. Its extremely difficult to play an offside trap in clubs because of that long ball. Typically to stop it I try to start running back before they even play the ball so that I can give my guy an extra step on the short little shit's that typically play up there. It means playing a deeper line, but it really takes away that long ball at times and makes them actually beat our backs, instead of just out running them.

I also agree with Blax and Clutch about utilizing our midfield players more often. Especially the guys in the center of the field. When there's nothing on the wing, we need to use the drop more often, or even a ground pass to the top corner of the box where one of our CM's should be sitting. That is an extremely dangerous place to get the ball because they have so many options from there. If there's nothing from that spot either, there is nothing wrong with dropping the ball back even further, and stretching their team out again instead of trying to play 6 v 9 in a tight space... We're not going go win that one too often.

• Like Like x 1
  17. PIG BOMB

PIG BOMB Walk On

Colemanchu
    KnightNoles
    elprez98
    Danthraxxx
    abolishthefed
    KillerNuts
    Shaun Mason
    RyanC
    Drifterbub
    RynoAid
    FacePlant City
    ctvolfan
    ryalaman
    BlyGilmore
    PIG BOMB
    fecnik
    mcyork
    MoonBBad
    bigdood33
    DelZaster
    hammerhead1010
    Merih
    Timpegoose

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

in opt 3 i forgot to mention the ST can also lay it off for the RM as well as the CM that was mentioned... neither of those options require the ST to turn with the ball which often leads to a turnover if a defender is near

Playing the way you face is a smart option... with our camera views nobody should be turning into pressure with a defender on his back. This happens in real life because players don't look behind them before receiving the ball.

Pull RB and R trig to perform the hold and shield...its a great way to keep the ball with a guy on your back until another team member shows in support

Last edited: Jan 7, 2012
    • Like Like x 1
  18. MoonBBad

19. Timpegoose

Timpegoose Walk On

The switch across the back is useful at times IMO. I agree we tend to do it for no reason, but as long as we are careful with the pass it is a good way to get out of pressure and change the point of attack. I would much rather see that pass to switch the field, then playing it from our RB to our winger who has 3 guys around him and nowhere to go with it. If we do make that pass though, we need to make sure we're checking the radar so there isn't a striker waiting to poach it.

20. Leander Francisco

Leander Francisco Walk On

That long pass is typically reserved for the CMs. Playing it to the CDM and then letting him make diagonal passes to the wings is probably the best route to take. A problem with making those long passes is that in FIFA, they don't have enough pace on them, so you rarely catch the defense out of position.

We need to be more willing to pass the ball backwards. Right now we play a lot of long ball and rely on our strikers to chase it down. Our play rarely has any type of build up. Also, I would say cut down on all of the lobbed passes. Similar to the cross-field passes, they just don't have enough pace to work consistently and defenders are able to close the gap while the ball is in the air.

21. elprez98

elprez98 Walk On

This.

Switching the field may not seem effective from upfront, but in the midfield, it is extremely effective at relieving pressure and resetting our attack.

Offensively, we could also start looking more players making runs instead of trying to get to the "FIFA spot" and finesse in every goal. We started our march to mediocrity last night once we stopped playing team ball (patient and precise passing) and everyone was trying to go for glory.

22. PIG BOMB

PIG BOMB Walk On

that's kinda my point...we need to offer people some alternative runs to make in support so the outside backs don't have to play these garbage passes that only serve to fatigue players that are making good runs, and expose our defense to counter attacks by spreading them out sideline to sideline

23. PIG BOMB

PIG BOMB Walk On

i'm not sure how many game we have to lose because of this for people to believe me????

just lost 3 games in a row because of these types of balls

1- had a keeper try and play back across the goal ...= goal

2- had a diagonal ball from an outside back picked off = goal

3- and had a diagonal ball from another defender that made it across, but as discusses, when the guy receiving the pass lost the ball the defense was exposed to a counter attack and they scored and beat us =goal

calling it an early night...good luck

Colemanchu
    KnightNoles
    elprez98
    Danthraxxx
    abolishthefed
    KillerNuts
    Shaun Mason
    RyanC
    Drifterbub
    RynoAid
    FacePlant City
    ctvolfan
    ryalaman
    BlyGilmore
    PIG BOMB
    fecnik
    mcyork
    MoonBBad
    bigdood33
    DelZaster
    hammerhead1010
    Merih
    Timpegoose

24. elprez98

elprez98 Walk On

PIG BOMB, you could just play in the back sometimes and lower amount of times this happens.

• Like Like x 3
  25. PIG BOMB

PIG BOMB Walk On

true