Clutch questions

Discussion in 'Tradition Racing' started by jms493, Dec 2, 2011.

1. jms493

jms493 Veteran Member

Hellisan
    DelZaster

OK i was trying to use the clutch today.

Do you guys/gals leave your finger on the gas the whole time when up-shifting? I notice the car red-lines a bit and in turn would fuck up the tranny on sim settings....if you briefly take you finger off the gas that wont happen but i feel like that is slowing me down. Thoughts?

Down-shifting, the car kind of gets loose when i down-shift pretty fast. Do you need to down shift more slowly? I took the TCS off as well therefore is this a product of the clutch or taking the TCS off.

2. GoGators

GoGators GT: KSherm

I'm probably not the guy you want advice from but figured I'd share anyways.

I typically don't come off the gas when I upshift. I've never noticed it causing damage to my transmission. Only time I've ever had damage occur on my transmission are the times I've missed the clutch and shifted.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Hellisan

Hellisan Schemin 'em up

Yeah it is a habit of mine to take my finger off the 'gas' momentarily when I shift. It doesn't lose me any time. I blip the gas when I downshift to get the revs a bit more in synch with where they will be in the next gear. And yes, you typically will need to space your shifts out just a little.... Sometimes you can wait longer to downshift, and then downshift faster, as you were sped down enough to allow for some quick downshifts... It's all personal feel and preference.

• Like Like x 1
  4. DelZaster

DelZaster Walk On

To be honest I couldn't really tell you what I do, but you could watch the Del Seca video lol

• Like Like x 1
  5. Ca$ino

Ca$ino You're Killing Me Smalls

i shift without lifting.

i thought you already used the clutch since forza 3

6. Roggie

Roggie Back 2 Back

Featured Threads:
    Can't lie, I've never even touched the clutch. I'm not coordinated enough to do that.

7. Hellisan

Hellisan Schemin 'em up

majority of us remap clutch to A. Then roll over on the way to the shift button... It's one movement.

8. Bondzai

Bondzai Your Mom's Best Friend

I didn't know we had so man pansies in here that couldn't handle a little clutch.

9. PAgamer07

PAgamer07 We're the ship without a storm

There can never be enough clutch

10. Roggie

Roggie Back 2 Back

Featured Threads:
    I tried it. Just can't do it. I'd have to relearn how to shift, since I remapped up shifting from B to Y. It's easier for me with it at LB, but I just can't do it without losing time and screwing up all the time.

11. Hellisan

Hellisan Schemin 'em up

If you turn it on and just leave it there, and then play the game for a couple days, it becomes second nature very quickly. I'm not particularly gifted with button hand/eye (took me THREE YEARS to learn the Xbox buttons compared to PS) but I got it within a couple days.

12. GoGators

GoGators GT: KSherm

I just switched my clutch from LB to the A button and I like it so much better because now I can brake while downshifting but the trouble I'm having is upshifting. I don't have a huge hand, but getting my thumb on the A and B at the same time seems like it forces my right hand off the controller. I guess I just need more time to get used to it.

It'd be nice if there was a way to get two triggers on one side so you could simulate driving where your right foot would operate the gas and brake then you could just use your left for the clutch, but that would be one weird looking controller haha.

13. Roggie

Roggie Back 2 Back

Featured Threads:
    I could do it with my Razer Onza, but the break would be 100%/0%, as it's an extra bumper on the side.

But don't a lot of race car drivers use their left foot for brakes? I know at least some in NASCAR do.

14. DelZaster

DelZaster Walk On

Yes a lot of guys use left foot braking n heel n toe etc etc.

15. Roggie

Roggie Back 2 Back

Featured Threads:
    That's probably why clutch is set to LB by default. A way to simulate it. When I tried it, it was easier for me on LB because I can use two fingers on the triggers, like I do when I grab a PS2 controller, without losing anything.

16. Hellisan

Hellisan Schemin 'em up

Oh nice... Yeah I cannot.

17. dcauto

dcauto Walk On

Thought I'd chime in on this one.

First up shifting.
    Yes and No. On straits I don't let off that gas. If I find myself up shifting in a corner I let off the gas. If you don't the shock can upset the car, especially RWD. Yes the engine red lines when you don't let off but that would cause engine damage, not trans. You most likely got the damage by accidentally not press the clutch, it happen to me sometimes. That will damage the trans everytime.

Down shifting.
    I hit the gas, clutch, and down shift buttons all at the same time. It's all second nature to me now and it's harder for me to not do it. The blip of the throttle keeps the car stable especially if done while turning. It also sounds bad ass. The engine make that authentic, BBBBBRRRRummmm.....BBBBBRRRummmm....BBBBBRRRummmm.... sound, as you down shift.

Did I spell that right?

Last edited: Dec 7, 2011
  18. jms493

jms493 Veteran Member

Thanks guys....after about 50 laps of practice I am good now. I do sometimes very quickly let go of the gas when shifting...sound much nicer.