Coach Box Week 1: Coach WhyGod

Discussion in 'Thread Archive' started by Jayrah, Jan 14, 2011.

1. Jayrah

Jayrah AllCougdUp.com Editor - A.M. avatar Guru

ESPN is partnering with Night Owls each week to get an outlook from one coach in the league. "Coach Box" will be asking the tough questions for question's sake, and a basically fun read. All questions are asked by an anonymous, fictitious, totally made up ESPN analyst from NCAA 11 and are, under no circumstances, a personal attack or inquiry from ME (repeat: for questions sake and fun read), nor does my possibly narrow-minded and irrational analyst, necessarily, reflect my personal opinions or views. Coaches are in no way required to respond with anything more than.... NO COMMENT. But just know that you are not a good, tough coach unless you answer the hard, tough questions. Mwahahaha. All coaches are invited to join conversation.

***Coach Box: Week 1***

Coach WhyGod please:

"Coach first things first, you're a Nat'l Champion. How are you feeling about last season and the way things played out going into this year with recruiting and everything else?

With that do you personally feel any pressure to repeat, being that you're coaching in the shadow of Legendary Coach Mack Brown, who, while never going back to back, really made Texas the power that you've taken over?

Speaking of Mack, how and when do you get out of his shoes, and become the Coach that everyone remembers for yourself?

And last question here. Coach AaronDRamp is coming over to the rival Sooners. Following last season up in Lincoln, at least I found it difficult to see why OU fired their coach to bring Coach Aaron over. Do you think he makes them better, and do you have anything to say to him for the passion of your rivalry?"

2. whygodwhy1111

whygodwhy1111 Walk On

"Coach first things first, you're a Nat'l Champion. How are you feeling about last season and the way things played out going into this year with recruiting and everything else?

As you might expect, I thought last season went extremely well for us. We were able to pull out tight games, at Wisconsin and at Ohio State. For the most part we rolled through our conference, with the expection being the Kansas game. We really did not see Kansas coming, I think we may have been over looking them with the lonestar showdown coming up. I think that last drive of the kansas game was where Connor Wood became the leader he need to be to beat Texas A&M, Ohio State, and Mizzu in consecutive starts. Down 1 with less than 12 seconds Connor connected on a 25 yard pass to get the necessary yardage for the game winner and save the perfect season.​

Recruiting went extremely well this year. Our big focus was on Wr's since all of our remaining WRs will be juniors this year, we really needed to start grooming replacements. We picked 3 kids that I think will develope nicely. We also picked up 2 quality qbs: a Runner and a thrower. It will be interesting if running ability or throwing ability determines our starter in the next few years. I really feel that every one of the 13 recruits will be contributing as a starter in 2-3 years.​

With that do you personally feel any pressure to repeat, being that you're coaching in the shadow of Legendary Coach Mack Brown, who, while never going back to back, really made Texas the power that you've taken over?

Currently I'm not even thinking about repeating a championship. For the 3rd consecutive year our Offensive Coordinator has left us for a head coaching job. Well technically we fired our last OC. We are currently searching for new canidates. The top of our list includes coaches from UL Monroe, LSU, Fresno St, USF, and San Jose St. We probably will not make a decision until we can assess the strength or our incoming roster.​

Speaking of Mack, how and when do you get out of his shoes, and become the Coach that everyone remembers for yourself?

Winning, winning games is really the key to how the media proceives you and what kind of inane legacy questions they ask you in an attempt to get a few good quotes. The more effeciently you win the more you will be remembered. Knowing the media, in a few years, you'll probably be asking Mack Brown what its like to be forgotten. Its just the nature of the beast.​
    And last question here. Coach AaronDRamp is coming over to the rival Sooners. Following last season up in Lincoln, at least I found it difficult to see why OU fired their coach to bring Coach Aaron over. Do you think he makes them better, and do you have anything to say to him for the passion of your rivalry?"

It would be nice to breath new life into the Red River Rivalry. The knocked us off in my first year, but since I am not sure what that Program has been thinking over the last 3 years. This is their what, 5th coach in 3 years. All the coaching turnover has reaked havoc on their recruiting. They are really going to have to turn things around to make up for the recruiting of the last 3 years. When their current juniors graduate they might struggle with depth quite a bit.​