Coach Box Week 11: Coach Omega

Discussion in 'Thread Archive' started by Jayrah, Mar 21, 2011.

1. Jayrah

Jayrah AllCougdUp.com Editor - A.M. avatar Guru

ESPN is making its return in 2014, partnering with Night Owls to get an outlook from some of our coaches in the league. "Coach Box" has been asking the tough questions and allowing our coaches to talk candidly about their squads. All questions are asked by an anonymous, fictitious, totally made up ESPN analyst from NCAA 11 and are, under no circumstances, a personal attack or inquiry. Nor does my possibly narrow-minded and irrational analyst, necessarily, reflect my personal opinions or views. Coaches are in no way required to respond with anything more than.... NO COMMENT. But just know that you are not a good, tough coach unless you answer the hard, tough question.

***Coach Box: Week 11***

Coach Omega Please:

"Coach, thanks for taking time to talk to us this late in the season. We know you're busy gameplanning for NU and the ladder of your schedule.

First off, it seems that Iowa is struggling this year with a difficult schedule, but you still have a shot at a winning record and a decent bowl game. You're still ranked, although some think it maybe a bit overrated based on the record, and especially the performance early in the year. What do you have to say to the naysayers out there for your team?

Second, do you believe this is just an off year in terms of schedule vs record, or is the program in general in a bit of slippage? I mean I don't know what answer I would have you give, but how do you right the ship? Similar to Texas A&M in the Big 12, you have a program that should be at a high level, competing for titles, but just isn't doing it. You haven't really challenged in the Big 10 for a title recently, recruits aren't coming in the doors and some of your most loyal fans are getting anxious and restless in that regard. How do you turn it around?

And lastly, there seems to be the general feeling that you are being out-coached within the conference. What do you have to say about that to the conference, and if there is one, what is your schematic plan to revise your philosophy, especially as it relates to your staff and/or coaching system. Are you looking at maybe some changes in that regard at the end of the season, or may there just be a time of understanding that is necessary for your current philosophies to take hold within the program?"

2. omega41

omega41 Walk On

***Coach Box: Week 11***

Coach Omega Please:

"Coach, thanks for taking time to talk to us this late in the season. We know you're busy gameplanning for NU and the ladder of your schedule.

First off, it seems that Iowa is struggling this year with a difficult schedule, but you still have a shot at a winning record and a decent bowl game. You're still ranked, although some think it maybe a bit overrated based on the record, and especially the performance early in the year. What do you have to say to the naysayers out there for your team?

Omega: Man, I don't worry about what people say as I need to stay focus on better gameplanning and recruiting

Second, do you believe this is just an off year in terms of schedule vs record, or is the program in general in a bit of slippage? I mean I don't know what answer I would have you give, but how do you right the ship?

Omega: Well, I changed playbook from Georgia to Iowa. And having so many user games out of the gate didn't give me chance to become familiar with the playbook plus my recruiting last year was horrible. So when you add it all together it is what it is.​

Similar to Texas A&M in the Big 12, you have a program that should be at a high level, competing for titles, but just isn't doing it. You haven't really challenged in the Big 10 for a title recently, recruits aren't coming in the doors and some of your most loyal fans are getting anxious and restless in that regard. How do you turn it around?

Omega: Well,this year my recruiting is much better but that's not hard to do being as I was pretty much last in my recruiting .But I really focused on the players I really needed versus trying to fill a board and talk to 35 people just wasn't bearing fruit but restructuring my recruiting format has paid off so far compared to last year.

And lastly, there seems to be the general feeling that you are being out-coached within the conference. What do you have to say about that to the conference, and if there is one, what is your schematic plan to revise your philosophy, especially as it relates to your staff and/or coaching system. Are you looking at maybe some changes in that regard at the end of the season, or may there just be a time of understanding that is necessary for your current philosophies to take hold within the program?"

Omega: Well more like out recruited, which in turn causes problems on the field(ie can't get a decent pass rush, can't get off of blocks or oline can't hold its ground etc. But we have improved and I expect us to be even better next year. I really look at this year as a transition year and I like the 'feel' of this team and believe we will be back in contention next year.