Coach Box Week 5: Coach WazzuCougs

Discussion in 'Thread Archive' started by Jayrah, Jan 27, 2011.

1. Jayrah

Jayrah AllCougdUp.com Editor - A.M. avatar Guru

ESPN is partnering with Night Owls each week to get an outlook from one coach in the league. "Coach Box" will be asking the tough questions for question's sake, and a basically fun read. All questions are asked by an anonymous, fictitious, totally made up ESPN analyst from NCAA 11 and are, under no circumstances, a personal attack or inquiry from ME (repeat: for questions sake and fun read), nor does my possibly narrow-minded and irrational analyst, necessarily, reflect my personal opinions or views. Coaches are in no way required to respond with anything more than.... NO COMMENT. But just know that you are not a good, tough coach unless you answer the hard, tough questions. All coaches are invited to join conversation.

***Coach Box: Week 3***

Coach Wazzu please:

"Coach these last couple weeks have been a humbling experience for your team, as they started out here in the top 25, and promptly got passed by Oregon, even though you haven't lost and have played some good teams in the process. We've certainly heard your complaints about the pollsters, but how are your kids handling the adversity and frustration of Oregon's name seemingly taking them from not ranked to higher than you guys?

Also, over the past 2 seasons your team has really come on and taken a huge leap forward, but I don't know if anyone in the country has you winning the PAC. How are you keeping your kids focused to accomplish what is most definitely that goal?

Also what would you say is your teams greatest improvement over the past 2 seasons, the main reason the Beavers are a top 10 team?"

2. gowazzucougs

gowazzucougs WSU is better than UCLA

Coach these last couple weeks have been a humbling experience for your team, as they started out here in the top 25, and promptly got passed by Oregon, even though you haven't lost and have played some good teams in the process. We've certainly heard your complaints about the pollsters, but how are your kids handling the adversity and frustration of Oregon's name seemingly taking them from not ranked to higher than you guys?

I would not say these past few weeks have been humbling experience for the Beavers because its in state rival has surged ahead of them in the polls but more frustrating. First Oregon is our in state rival, or as they are better known as Nike University. My success as a coach will be dependent on beating the Ducks, the alumni want conference titles, and BCS bowl bids, but they really want to beat the Ducks. Second, because of Oregon's recent success in conference and nationally, they have reached "elite" status, meaning when they start winning people start jumping on the bandwagon assuming they are good. Our team is not there yet in terms of "elite" status, maybe in a few years the Beavers will be there, but we are not there yet. Third, and finally we will use this as a motivating tool. You need to remember the Ducks will be coming to Corvallis in Week 14 for the Civil War.

Also, over the past 2 seasons your team has really come on and taken a huge leap forward, but I don't know if anyone in the country has you winning the PAC. How are you keeping your kids focused to accomplish what is most definitely that goal?

When I came to this school, I wanted to come to a school with talent to win right away. Under the former coach, I didn't believe the talent was being used in the best possible way. That is why I consulted with former Florida Coach Urban Meyer about implementing his spread offense. Now as to winning the PAC-10 Conference, myself, the staff, and the players realize this is a realistic goal. The Conference is so balance right now in terms of top teams, there is clearly no defined favorite. What we must do is focus on the task at hand each week. We were able to do this by beating a feisty Cardinal team, and next we will focus on Washington State.

Also what would you say is your teams greatest improvement over the past 2 seasons, the main reason the Beavers are a top 10 team?"

The biggest reason why the Beavers are ranked in the Top 10 right now is because of the offense. Last season I believe we were ranked 93rd in the county according to various outlets, by the end of the season we were ranked 12th. How, did we get here, Meyer's offense got us here. We now have a better understanding of the offense. Last season the Beavers started 1-2. We couldn't close the deal against Illinois, and then struggled on offense against the Bruins. As last season went along we became better at running the offense, and you can definitely see that with the results this season. Against UNC, RB Malcolm Marable ran for 145 yards, against UW and Stanford QB Sean Mannion threw for over 400 yards in each game.

3. dakota7

dakota7 Former Blue Chip Recruit

Its all about the Ducks baby.