Coach Box Week 7: Coach Recchem

Discussion in 'Thread Archive' started by Jayrah, Jan 31, 2011.

1. Jayrah

Jayrah AllCougdUp.com Editor - A.M. avatar Guru

ESPN is partnering with Night Owls and has moved to every other week to get an outlook from one coach in the league. "Coach Box" will be asking the tough questions for question's sake, and a basically fun read. All questions are asked by an anonymous, fictitious, totally made up ESPN analyst from NCAA 11 and are, under no circumstances, a personal attack or inquiry nor does my possibly narrow-minded and irrational analyst, necessarily, reflect my personal opinions or views. Coaches are in no way required to respond with anything more than.... NO COMMENT. But just know that you are not a good, tough coach unless you answer the hard, tough question.

***Coach Box: Week 7***

Coach Recchem Please:

"Coach first about your team. Y'all have been getting really close recently. In basically 3 years you've put UCLA back on everybody's radar and are really close by all estimations to breaking through and possibly becoming an elite program. However it still seems as if you are the overlooked team in the Pac 10, even though you went to the Rose Bowl last season and even though your are a solid 4-1 this season. What's it gonna take for you guys to return to true Powder Blue Glory?

Also, there is a real battle going on in the Pac this year. Can you win back to back Championships?

And lastly. I think there is a bit of discrepancy among us sportswriters as to the schedule makeup and our perceptions of every conference from year to year. You are a major part of 3 conference schedules as a leader on the NCAA scheduling committee. Even though this season you have surpassed the Big 12 Conference, the SEC and Big 10 are still viewed as far superior conferences. I think there is also the general perception that the Pac 10 Conference is still weak at the knees and has a few teams ranked too high, and even within the conference there is discrepancy. What are you trying to accomplish with the schedule and what is going to have to happen on the field for your conference to go from "overrated" to Power Conference?"

2. recchem2000

recchem2000 UCLA > WSU

***Coach Box: Week 7***

Coach Recchem Please:

"Coach first about your team. Y'all have been getting really close recently. In basically 3 years you've put UCLA back on everybody's radar and are really close by all estimations to breaking through and possibly becoming an elite program. However it still seems as if you are the overlooked team in the Pac 10, even though you went to the Rose Bowl last season and even though your are a solid 4-1 this season. What's it gonna take for you guys to return to true Powder Blue Glory?

Just keep winning and folks will notice. It would help to win a road game at Big 10 school, that would raise some eyebrows. But we have taken on all challenges thrown our way. We have OOC road games at Texas, at Texas A&M, at Ohio State and this season we made the trip to Iowa City. We didnt win that game but we learned alot and I think we are better team for playing all those tough OOC road games. Like this week, we travel across the country to Morgantown, WV. Win or lose, it will help this kids in the long run.

As far as this season goes, we are young, very young. We lost alot from last years Pac10 championship team. My expectations are still high but we have some very tough conference games to get through to even start thinking about back to back Pac10 titles. I'll use the old cliche, we are gonna take it one game at time. We are focused on the Mountaineers right now.

Also, there is a real battle going on in the Pac this year. Can you win back to back Championships?

We can. We have the talent, although most of them are young and unproven. We have settled on the RS Freshman QB for now and he has played well. Will we? Im not going to say no but we have a tough road to plow through to win the conference again this year. We get Oregon State at home which will help but we have to travel to Tuscon and Eugene. We have never played well at those 2 stadiums. Hopefully we can find a way to overcome the atmosphere they produce in those places!

And lastly. I think there is a bit of discrepancy among us sportswriters as to the schedule makeup and our perceptions of every conference from year to year. You are a major part of 3 conference schedules as a leader on the NCAA scheduling committee. Even though this season you have surpassed the Big 12 Conference, the SEC and Big 10 are still viewed as far superior conferences. I think there is also the general perception that the Pac 10 Conference is still weak at the knees and has a few teams ranked too high, and even within the conference there is discrepancy. What are you trying to accomplish with the schedule and what is going to have to happen on the field for your conference to go from "overrated" to Power Conference?"

I'll tell you right now, scheduling is the least favorite part of my job! Its a bitch! My thoughts on scheduling is to get everyone the same amount of user games, as well as 6 home games and 6 road games. I try to appease the other coaches and their requests. But sometimes, you cant do that.

As far as the Pac 10 goes, I think our record speaks for itself. We have teams littering the top 10 right now. We have played the tough OOC games and for the most part, won. The Big 10 is perceived to be the best conference at this point of the season but we are only in week 7. The great thing about the Pac 10 is everyone plays everyone. You dont have to worry about who is the best because you prove it on the field. The Big 10 can't say the same thing. I know all things are leading towards an all Big 10 CCG, but really that game should happen in conference play. But there is nothing I can do about that.

I don't believe the Pac 10 is overrated one bit. We have played the bigs boys and held our own. I would venture that none of those big boys from the SEC or Big 10 want to come out west to play us in our back yards! Maybe thats what it will take for the Pac 10 to start getting the respect it deserves. I'll have to converse with the scheduling committee and see about getting these midwest and east coast teams to take the trip out west and see how we play football out here. And yes, the Pac 10 can play defense, something that the Big 10 and Big 12 seem to know nothing about!