Coach Gaddy has a idea about new coaches who want a team

Discussion in 'Thread Archive' started by natedawg212000, Nov 30, 2009.

1. natedawg212000

natedawg212000 New Orleans Saints

Coach Gaddy has a idea about new coaches who want a team

He wants to have all new coaches who put an application in for a team in the OMFL, play a scrim before they are awarded a team. They must set up a game and play a scrim vs CoachGaddy and he will give a passing for failing grade. It will prove what coaches want to actually play enough to set up a game and then play straight. He said he will push them and see how they play and react. So we could see what they look/act like.

thoughts?

2. Winuvas

Winuvas OMFL Jets

Sounds intriguing at least. I have yet to play Gaddy, so I don't know what he is like and if we are comfortable with that. But if you're good with it, Nate, I think that is a great idea.

3. natedawg212000

i am not comfortable with him pushing ppl to the edge, but if he stays within the rules i am fine with it. my issue is that now lengthens the time it takes to fill teams. what do you guys feel about that?

4. Jeremy

Jeremy The ONLY 2 time OMFL CHampion!!!!

I say OK only if he is not the sole vote on denying players into the league. If he sees a player doing something against the rules, he would need to post about it and let us decide as a board what to do.
    But IMO, this would be just prolonging the inevitable. Most if not all players will play within the rules just to get a team and if they want to break the rules they will just do it at a later time.

5. Claven

Claven OMFL-Redskins

I think it's a good Idea but maybe we should just have the applicants play any of us. That way we don't have to wait for Gaddy to have the time to play everyone. Maybe while he's playing 1 guy someone else plays another, and we just discuss it the games we played and make a decision on who we want to invite to play in the OMFL.

6. Winuvas

Winuvas OMFL Jets

I think that either Gaddy or one of us should play a scrim with the new possible owners. I still think we could let them get in, as new blood that wants to be here is still good. However, we could let them know during that scrim what is the type of gamer we are looking for, and what isn't. Maybe not so much a "beat down" as Gaddy seems to put it, but a play test to see if this person is able to conform to our style of play.

I also think Gaddy's grade, or whomever does "grade" people entering, should get a bit of weight as we banter about them entering the league or not. It would definitely have a good chance at weeding out cheesers or people not wanting to consistently play by our rules we have set. We play a scrim with them, set the tempo as far as playcalling and what not goes, and go from there.

Barring effective communication by owners who are angry about possible cheesing and bad playcalling (calling out former Redskins owner on this one), this seems like a good solution. But it makes our jobs as board members even more involved because we'll essentially have to review every applicant and see if they are worth the time to let into the league.

I would say if it's someone new that no one knows, then they have to scrim with a board member or Gaddy. If an owner in the league can vouch for their play and character, then no scrim is needed. That way we get players in that owners know will play well, and it makes for accountability as far as if a player recommended by an owner is a pain in the neck. Make sense?

7. cadepetty247

cadepetty247 Walk On

i love that idea... get coachgaddy on the board

8. Claven

Claven OMFL-Redskins

Good Idea Winuvas

9. natedawg212000

we could also scrim them as they put in their app, and not necessarily when we need a team filled.

10. Claven

Claven OMFL-Redskins

that works too.

11. Winuvas

Winuvas OMFL Jets

I actually like the idea of scrimming folks that have apps in better. We can go ahead and tell them to take a hike immediately if necessary, or encourage them to wait and be patient and we'll get them a spot as soon as possible.

12. weblink21

weblink21 Walk On

I don't know about this one. I think this idea can go one of two ways.

1) People play the scrimmage and we let them in. They are a good owner.

2) People see that you have to play a scrimmage and they think it is too much and we lose someone who would have been good.

Also, if they play a scrimmage it doesn't guarantee they will be a good owner. Most people who want to join a league are really excited in the beginning. They may play the scrimmage and think "wow this is great", but still do not what is needed to be a good owner once joined. I recruited 2 people to this site. One was my brother and one was sammymitchell25. In the beginning my brother was excited. With my help he would have scrimmaged and joined, but he was a HORRIBLE owner. Sammy on the other hand probably would not have, but he is atleast an active owner that loves the league. I am fine either way, but I guess my point is that this doesn't guarantee a good owner.

13. natedawg212000

well honestly imo, if they aren't interested in playing a scrim, just one, then i don't know if i want them here. your brother did send me a psn, but it was gonna take way way too long to message him back on psn. I asked him to send me a message here and he never did.

14. weblink21

weblink21 Walk On

I see your point. I do like the idea. Better owner = better league IMO.

15. natedawg212000

i did play devils advocate that it won't prove that they will be a better owner, but it will show us if players really want to be in this league or not.

16. weblink21

weblink21 Walk On

Actually, I have changed my opinion after I saw the thread in the 'Game Time' forum where someone asked about a try out. Great idea. I have a scrimmage team set up and will be on the lookout for new members wanting to try out.

17. Winuvas

Winuvas OMFL Jets

Biggest thing with new ownership is more than likely they will be taking over some dreadful teams (Chiefs anyone? lol). We as a group need to keep the integrity of teams in mind with the upcoming seasons.

I didn't complain about it much, because I did a lot of trading, but WAY too many STUD players changed hands. Let's be honest: Ray Lewis, Ed Reed, Johnathan Stewart, Brandon Marshall, Larry Fitzgerald, Jared Allen, Matt Cassel, Mike Vrabel, Bryant Westbrook, Reggie Bush, Kellen Winslow...ALL those guys changed uniforms. And that is just what I thought of in about 3 minutes without looking at the cap books (I am at work so I can't look at em). Wow. That's a LOT of talent changing teams that realistically wouldn't have.

Did we ever discuss a limit on star player trading? Guys over say 88 overall? Don't remember if we have.

18. weblink21

weblink21 Walk On

100% agree with you. The one thing flaw that I see in leagues is too much trading. Even I look at my Ravens sometimes without Reed and Ray Lewis andthink it is weird. I would like to limit trading and focus more on FA to add big players. The Fitz deal was the perfect example. No way in gods green earth would the Cards have traded Fitz for Winslow. How are we handling FA this year? I am new to the Board and did not see it discussed. How will we be handling players being released into FA?

19. Winuvas

Winuvas OMFL Jets

Hey Web there are a few posts up about it here. Just take a look and put your two cents in. I would have linked them here but work computers suck for doing much in posting. If you have trouble finding them I can try and link them when I get home and can use a real computer.

20. weblink21

weblink21 Walk On

Thanks bud

21. Winuvas

Winuvas OMFL Jets

22. natedawg212000

let me play devils advocate here, the reason online frannys are so fun is because of trading. i mean coaches have the right to come in and make the team fit their needs. i don't run a offense where big, slow wr's are useful. they are completely useless on my team. I also swapped over to a 3/4 and wanted to move reggie to get some Defense and because ole reggie gets hurt too often.

I do want to 'limit' to a point, but i don't want to start telling guys he can't trade a stud that doesnt fit his style. does it suck? ya, but we reset after 2 r 3 seasons any ways when the new game comes out.

do you guys get my point?

23. Winuvas

Winuvas OMFL Jets

Yeah, I do get your point Nate. Might I suggest for year 2 that we do NOT have a trade deadline? My reasoning is this: trade limits on teams in year 2 and beyond.

This would help teams with owners that come in late and want to retool via trades. The 4 trades limit would make teams think about trading players early in case an owner leaves and a new owner comes in that thinks differently and wants to trade.

If we keep the same ownership group in place, then we could put a later trade deadline (say week 10 or so, just as an example) to encourage looking for deals late in the season, maybe a veteran to push a team over the playoff edge.

I wasn't meaning to call out anyone in that thread about star players. I named two players off my own team and didn't even include Brian Waters (94 ovr) I traded. So I am as guilty of it as anyone. But if I leave the Chiefs now, Nate, the best players on the team (overall skill) are an 87 (Dwayne Bowe and Kyle Vanden Bosch). Could you fill that team? There are teams in the league whose 5th or 6th best player is still better than 87 overall. Granted, I only had 2 players above that (Larry Johnson and Brian Waters), but you see my point about star player trading?

Perhaps we could institute a small rule saying that you cannot trade more than one player above 88 overall in a season? Just throwing the idea out there.

24. weblink21

weblink21 Walk On

I didn't know we could do that. I guess things getting a little "unrealistic" in the game with trades isn't that bad then. Honestly talking and making trades with real people has been my favorite part of the league so far. Taking that away could take some fun out for people. I think this is something that we need to keep tinkering with through this years game. We will learn what works best and when we do reset, we will start fresh with the best approach from experience. IMO this is a very important topic for the future of our league.