Coach Jello to ride off into the sunset

Discussion in 'The Experience' started by jello1717, Sep 13, 2010.

1. jello1717

jello1717 "Those who stay will be champions." -- Bo

Coach Jello to ride off into the sunset

Some of you have seen the post asking to replace someone from our league and have been wondering who it is. Well, it's me. This'll be my final season in the Experience. I just haven't been feeling online dynasty this year. I only joined 1 this time around (as opposed to 3 last year) and I just couldn't get into it like I could last year.

I think a lot of blame goes to dynasty wire. It's a freakin' awesome thing for non-TF leagues, but it seems to have taken a lot away from what we have here in TF. The main thing that I like about ODs over offline dynasties is the interaction with the other members. At the beginning of last year, this league was head and shoulders above all others in this respect IMO. For those who don't know (there's a lot of new guys compared to the beginning of last year) we started out with everyone keeping a blog and it was AWESOME! (Here's mine from last year as an example). I had a blast keeping the blog and would make weekly highlight videos and enjoyed making the videos and keeping the blog as much as playing the game. That was too much extra work for most so we went away from that around January and just used the TF forums, but we still had some good content there and it was fun to read. I'm not really feeling that this year.

There are other reasons why I'm leaving that are more "general OD vs. offline" reasons. The sliders are a big part of it and I don't like not having control of them. When you have 12 different guys with different playing styles and different skill levels, it's impossible to set the sliders correctly for everyone and I've never been in an OD (this one included) where the sliders were set correctly for me. In last year's E-League I never lost a single CPU game out of roughly 68 CPU games. This year, with a mediocre starting team I've only lost 1 CPU game (I've already lost 12 of 54 in my offline dynasty). I think Dru summed up my feelings of the sliders perfectly. I was talking shit about the Michigan/Texas game and he said that the game wasn't that important to him as the game he was looking forward to the most was the Oklahoma St game. I think that's a serious problem as the game he SHOULD be looking forward to is the Oklahoma game, but the sliders are easy enough that he probably is more worried about Oklahoma St than Oklahoma, despite the fact that Oklahoma is a big rival and a much better team. If you're more worried about a user controlled mediocre team than a CPU controlled excellent team (they've been in the NC game in 3 of 4 years in my offline dynasty) then I think that means there's a problem with the sliders. I'm also really not liking some of the stats that have been put up so far and this is again due to the sliders. In my offline dynasty if the stats are getting out of hand one way or the other, I'm able to fix it. If another user is putting up 6000 passing yards and 3000 rushing yards, there's nothing I can do about that.

Other things that I don't like having out of my control are things like:
    • Not being able to change my CPU opponents' uniforms. It's a small thing and wouldn't make me quit, but it's still nice in my offline.
    • Not being able to fix the horrible CPU depth charts. In my offline I can keep them from playing a QB @ TE or a safety @ DT. This is huge for me.
    • Not being able to fix CPU personnel. I can change CPU recruiting priorities to try to get scrambling QBs @ places like GT or Florida. If they still recruit pocket passers, I can then change their playbook so they don't try to run tons of options with their 60 SPD QB. This is really, really huge for me.
    • My biggest problem is the pace. It really, really sucks to play and recruit and then have to wait 3 days to be able to play again. "I just had a huge win in front of 12 recruits! How many did I sign? Well, I guess I'll find out in 3 days." To give you an idea of what's a good pace for me, I started my offline dynasty after patch #2, so 1 month ago and I've already begun season 5 (54 games).
    Because of all of this, I'm done with ODs as I can't think of any good reasons to play in an OD as opposed to playing my offline dynasty so I'm just going to see how far I can go with my Wolverines offline. With the changes made to recruiting this year, I think that offline mode is almost perfect (outside of shitty depth charts).

I'd like to thank you guys for putting up with me for this long and especially want to give a shout out to the long time E-league guys and most especially want to give a shout out to JC. We had a great rivaly going and I always looked forward to our games. Now I just need to figure out how to be the fucking Spartans as I went 1-1 against you and I'm 2-2 against them so far in my offline dynasty.

Good luck everyone and have fun!

2. Psycho

Psycho Walk On

Damn Michigan fans, Michigan State wins the BigTen once, and they quit. :D

Jello, I feel you with the sliders. My perfect slider set will never be able to be played in an OD. I adjust them week to week depending on the team I'm playing, doing allows you to play a team that's as hard as they should be... I've currently won 0 National Titles since doing this (NCAA'05), and everyone of my Conference Championships have been fought hard for, and enjoyed, and you get a 200% better cpu playing experience then you do in a OD.

Enjoy your offline dynasties.

3. Shaun Mason

Shaun Mason Somebody you used to know.

Featured Threads:
    I just want to say publicly that I want jello to stay here, but I understand if he doesn't.

*sigh*

4. Dru50

Dru50 Still Chicago's #1 son

Sorry to see you go Jello, you seem like a really good player and one of the most active guys on the site. But I 100% understand where you are coming from on the slider thing, it's very tough to craft a set in this years game that will work for everyone (if you make the run blocking good enough so that spread option teams can run the ball, the guys who run under center will rack up crazy yards, but if you lower it to keep the under center running in control it's impossible to run from the 'gun).

At the end of the day, if the game isn't fun for you anymore in online dynasties then playing is kind of a waste I suppose.

5. JCspartan2

JCspartan2 Sparty Party

To each his own I suppose. I'm sorry to see you go as well Jello. I appreciate the shout out, I too enjoyed our rivalry. I hope that you change your mind down the road and come back to us, but I understand your frustration with the OD.

But why the hell did you have to steal all those recruits from me this year!! Parting shots from the Wolvies before they go? haha

Keep in touch man, hopefully we will still see you around the boards.

6. jello1717

I guess I forgot to mention that which is obviously my main reason for quitting. If MSU is ranked #1 in the country, then clearly hell has frozen over, and pigs are flying and I want to have no part of that apocalypse.

In the wanted ad, Shaun mentioned that another user might want the vacated team, so he's obviously talking about Suge. If Suge or anyone else wants Michigan, you'll have a great recruiting class this year with 4 :5stars:s and 10 of 13 guys in the ESPNU150.

7. Masler

Masler Moderator

Gotta say I'm shocked, never thought Jello would leave, especially his beloved Wolverines. I understand everything he is saying though. Like JC said, come visit us sometime.

Oh, before you go, could you lift that curse you put on me haha

8. GoGators

GoGators GT: KSherm

I thought the same thing when I seen MSU is ranked #1. It really takes the sim out of the league. However, at the same time, it's gotta be possible for a new coach to take a team to new levels. If it wasn't, there'd be no reason to play the game.

I agree with Shaun. I REALLY DON'T WANT JELLO TO LEAVE. As much of a pain in the ass as the guy is with all his Michigan rah rah rah (damn why couldn't ND win this weekend?!?!) he's the horse of this league and probably our best member. I was really looking forward to a rematch from the 07 capital one bowl with UF and UM.

Further, I agree with Jello too. The cpu games need to be more competitive. Granted I almost lost to Kentucky this past week, but how many losses have there been to the CPU so far for this league? I lost one to UT cause I had family in town while playing. Other than that, the only one that sticks out to me is Hova vs UNC.

Lastly, Jello, don't take your ball and go home my frined. It wouldn't be the same w/o ya. I won't have anyone to compare myself to when I go back to implementing the spread option at UF next season.

9. dakota7

dakota7 Former Blue Chip Recruit

UNC beat Clemson, Florida State and Miami in the regular season last year.

Thanks for everything Jello. Good luck offline.

10. Hova

Hova Live Action. YiYiYi!

Dang it sucks to see you go but I agree with the sliders as well, it is almost impossible to make them hard but realistic. CPUs are not threats to anyone anymore, at least on a consistent basis.

11. Big Suge Knight

Big Suge Knight Walk On

Featured Threads:
    Damn Jello say it aint so!! It is a sad day. Theres still time to rethink it. Never thought you would be the one to ride into the sunset.

12. Psycho

Psycho Walk On

Last season I lost to Arkansas 28-21, this season I lost to Tennesse 24-10 (my only loss so far).

However I'm always in favor of harder sliders.

13. Dru50

The CPU would be more difficult if there was a way to tune down how aggressive it plays on offense and defense. I go into every CPU game knowing I'm going to get blitzed 80-90% of the time and that causes them to give up points more often than if it played more conservatively (this is especially the case with bad teams).

Like I said in another forum, the only way you are going to see regular losses to the CPU is to just sim the CPU games. Making the sliders 'harder' is just going to remove certain plays from everyone's playbook and cause the stats to be wildly unbalanced. If the goal is to have everyone drop games to the CPU each year, then I'd be all for just simming some or all CPU games. I'd rather do that than play with sliders that make the CPU games frustrating cheat-fests.

That said, I don't want you to leave either Jello, but understand your reasons for doing so.

14. Shaun Mason

Featured Threads:
    The sliders ARE going to get harder...I just need time to play test games.

15. Psycho

Psycho Walk On

Tease, tease Mr. Shaun, sliders aren't the only thing getting harder around here.

:thingnana:

For some reason I thought this thread needed a little creepiness. (y)

16. GoGators

HEISMAN!!!

17. Shaun Mason

Featured Threads:
    You succeeded then.

18. Shaun Mason

Featured Threads:
    VARSITY!!

19. GoGators

Then I'd think Jello would have company watching the sunset. I really think Heisman is the only way the cpu will consistently be a threat. Before coming to TF, I didn't know anybody that played anything but Heisman. All my high school and college buddies all rock heisman. I think it makes the user vs user games way more fun too because when the sliders go back to default for user vs user games, the cpu acts retarded. At least on heisman, the cpu controlled players can tend to keep up with the users.

People complain that the game is too easy and not enough users are losing I think heisman could fix that. We've already got a guy quitting due to AA so what else is there to lose? The stats are wacked out now. So what's the difference if they're wacky on heisman too?

20. jello1717

Because they played a better team? I felt I should go ahead and state the obvious reason.

GO BLUE!
    I know you've recruited some good spread option QBs, but until Denard and Devin have graduated, I'm sure I'd have had the advantage. :bangnana:

I didn't mention it in my novel, but that's yet another thing that I can adjust in my offline dynasty that is out of my hands in ODs.

I've been fortunate that I've been able to make some sliders for my offensive style and skill level on AA that allow for losses that are expected (Iowa, PSU, twice to aOSU) and some that are not (twice to ND, twice to MSU, Ok. St, fuggin' Illinois) and some that are toss ups. I also get good stats in these games and I like they way it plays on the field.

21. Hova

Hova Live Action. YiYiYi!

If nobody is Michigan I will have no team to hate on

22. Dru50

On the same note, if we went to Heisman, I'd be tempted to jump ship (not saying I would but the thought would cross my mind). The CPU on Heisman is ultra-cheap and I have zero interest in playing on that level. Not because it's too difficult, but because it just isn't even remotely fun.

23. Shaun Mason

Featured Threads:
    Just an FYI I hate Heisman.

Jello, care to share your sliders? You've played more than anyone and I am interested in the set you came up with.

24. blLL flo

blLL flo BTFU!

Sorry to see you leave Jello. We never got matched up but I enjoyed your input to the league. Enjoy your offline dynasty with the Wolverines.

25. Basis4aDay56

Basis4aDay56 Walk On

I'm in a bit of a state of disbelief. Jello, you are such a pain in the ass, but not in a detracting way. You have a lot of passion for building your team, you are a straight player, and you add a lot to the league. It will be tough for the OD to leave someone that adds so much, but your reasons are fair. It is a video game, and if you're not having fun with the OD aspect of it, why play it. Good luck man!