Coach Parrothead returns with a vengeance, Ohio State tops Penn State

Discussion in 'Game Summaries' started by The Parrothead, Sep 27, 2011.

1. The Parrothead

The Parrothead Walk On

Taking over for the recently released Ohio State coach, Coach Parrothead comes in and throws the gauntlet down in the Big Ten. Penn State came in as the #2 team in the nation, and left knowing they'll probably end up as #2 in the division.

Things started off with Ohio State winning the toss and electing to kickoff. After a couple of nice defensive plays by the Buckeye D, things went haywire. 75 yards and 46 seconds into the return of the Parrot, Penn State takes a 7-0 lead. OSU would put together a nice drive mixing up the run with the pass to tie it at 7 with a 3 yard plunge by HB Jaamal Berry. The tie wouldn't last long, though. In fact, it would last for all of 12 seconds as Penn State HB Silas Redd returned the kickoff for 101 yards and a TD. Less than four minutes in, and OSU has already given up two huge touchdown plays. Things were not looking good on the Buckeye sideline.

Instead of giving in, though, Ohio State bore down. They followed up the return with another solid drive, again ending with Berry finding the end zone. At the end of one, it's tied at 14.

The Buckeyes picked it up a bit more in the second quarter. Another nice drive ends with QB Braxton Miller finding WR Vernon Reed on a quick hitter, and he scampers in from 15 yards out to put the Buckeyes up 7. Penn State put together a nice drive and punched it in to tie it at 21, but left far too much time on the clock for this explosive offense. Miller threw the ball around a bit and with 31 seconds left found TE Jeff Heuerman to go up 7 again. At the half, 28-21 Ohio State.

The Buckeyes would get the ball to start the second half. The teams would exchange a couple of punts, then an OSU drive would put them up 2 scores with kicker Drew Basil hitting a FG. The Nittany Lions' next possession would seal the game for Ohio State. FS CJ Barnett, in on the nickel package, would pick off a pass that seemed to be intended for him and ran it back 34 yards to put the Buckeyes up 38-21.

After this, the Ohio State squad played super conservative, running the clock and playing a loose zone defense. Penn State would add another TD, but in the end Ohio State gets the upset victory, 38-28.

GG, jms. If it's any consolation, you may be set for the national championship game. At least, that's what happened the last time I played a top team near the middle of the season. I beat Hot Rod and he still managed to sneak into the big one. Maybe I did you a favor? :)

• Like Like x 1
  2. jms493

jms493 Veteran Member

Ohio State was near impossible to stop on offense. It was a frustrating day for the Lion Defense. I actually cant wait to purge the team of these existing players and have my recruits come on defense.

Nice offense The Parrothead I left that game very frustrated but impressed. (;) MaxATX34)

• Like Like x 2
  3. Hellisan

Hellisan Schemin 'em up

4. Hellisan

Hellisan Schemin 'em up

I am impressed but not suprised with the Penn State coach taking a new coach at OSU and surprise buttsecks game in stride. I watched the game, Parrothead just played awesome on offense, but he was helped by his team playing out of this world on that side of the ball. I can't remember one penalty, dropped pass, etc... and the blocking was phenomenal

5. The Parrothead

The Parrothead Walk On

It was all coaching. :)