Coach Progression Decision

Discussion in 'Chompion's League' started by Spayer419, Jul 10, 2013.

1. Spayer419

Spayer419 Walk On

So we are definitely going to do slow speed for coach progression, but we have a couple of other things to decide.

Some other OD's on this site are requiring a minimum 3:1 ration between the two coaching trees, which is to say that you can't have 3 (or 6,9,12) points in one tree without having at least 1 (2,3,4) in the other. This would keep users from "going for broke" in one tree and it might add some diversity between the user's trees. I'm fairly impartial on if we should require a ratio or allow a free-for-all so I figured I'd leave this one up to the league.

Also, i've noted in other threads that there is some randomness to hiring new assistants once your initial coordinators leave for other jobs. This means that you could luck out and get a level 12 coordinator even if you're only a level 7 coach. A thought I had was to limit the amount of points you could put into that coordinator's tree depending on what level the head coach is. For instance, if you're a level 14 coach, and a level 17 assistant coach is hired, you can only use 7 (half of your level) of those talent points in the coordinator tree. Once your HC reaches level 16, you can use the 8th point in the coordinator tree, and so on. There are 54 total levels for HC's and 27 total levels for coordinators, so I thought a 2:1 ratio would be appropriate. What are your thoughts on that?

cmassey13 macc24usc jandy CJTHA1 TheMNorthFace Boraby Jbek ssuwr86 Glen Cieske MrWitness36 cyhiphopp

• Like Like x 2
  2. cyhiphopp

cyhiphopp Walk On

I think the 3:1 and 2:1 ratios both make sense.

One question, have you noticed difficulty recruiting against CPU coaches that start at a much higher level?

• Like Like x 1
  3. Spayer419

Spayer419 Walk On

Yes but it's not insurmountable. One thing I've noticed is that many coaches are ranked too high. I have no problem with Nick Saban starting at around a 28, but there are many coaches who start in the 15-22 range who shouldn't. I'll nerfing some of the coaches prior to starting CL and that should help.

Also, on slow the progression really slows down. So in that 7 year sim some coaches went from 1-27, but the highest cpu coach was Mack Brown at 36, and he starts at like 27. We will definitely be able to catch up

4. Jbek

Jbek Walk On

Thumbs up on the Upgraded assistant coach limit.

As far as the Coach progression tree ratio, I'm all for a 3:1 ratio, the 2:1 ratio would be too restrictive, imho.

5. Spayer419

Spayer419 Walk On

I agree, if we're doing a ratio it's going to be 3:1

6. cyhiphopp

cyhiphopp Walk On

What's a better method than 2:1 that we can implement? Would you rather just max out your coordinators?

7. Spayer419

Spayer419 Walk On

I'm a little confused as to your question. The 3:1 ratio applies to Head Coaching trees. So every 3 points in recruiting, 1 point in game management ... visa-versa.

The 2-1 ratio applies to assigned assistant coaches. So if you "luck out" in coaching carousel and get an assistant ranked higher than you, you can only assign skill points which equals half of your head coaching rating. So level 8 head coach could only spend 4 talent points on a level 13 assistant. Make sense?

8. cyhiphopp

cyhiphopp Walk On

Jbek made it sound like he didn't like the 2:1 ratio for assistants so I was asking him what he thought would work better. I don't think I worded that well. sorry.

9. Spayer419

Spayer419 Walk On

No worries but I'm fairly certain he thinks a 2:1 ratio would be too restrictive for head coaches, he likes it for assistants

• Like Like x 3
  10. macc24usc

macc24usc Walk On

I like either this ruling, 2:1 seems right to me. I`m easy in this regard.

11. MrWitness36

MrWitness36 Walk On

2:1 gets my vote

12. Spayer419

Spayer419 Walk On

When you guys say 2:1 are you talking about for head coaches or for assigned assistant coaches? These are separate issues with separate ratios

13. CJTHA1

CJTHA1 Walk On

Both ratios make sense to me.

14. MrWitness36

MrWitness36 Walk On

3:1 HC and 2:1 AC

• Like Like x 2
  15. Spayer419

Spayer419 Walk On

Cool, i agree that this would be best

16. MrWitness36

MrWitness36 Walk On

I wasn't a fan at first but thinking about would also help make me a more diverse coach. Instead of loading up one tree spread the wealth I'm sure Nick Saban got a good mixture.

17. cmassey13

cmassey13 Walk On

I'm cool with the 3:1 for HC. I don't guess I understand the AC ratio. So are we saying that if we're lucky enough to get a good one hired that we would have to take points off his tree until he's have of our level or just for adding new points to them? Sorry for my ignorance, but I haven't had any experience with upgrading the skill trees yet.

18. Spayer419

Spayer419 Walk On

So basically with coaching carousel on, your assistant coaches can leave for other jobs. You randomly get assigned his replacement through coaching carousel, you don't get to chose them. So you can be a level 8 coach but win the jackpot and get a level 22 offensive coordinator. This makes things fairly unbalanced because your going to get some significant ratings bonuses that others don't.

The best way to mitigate this, in my opinion, is to control ASSIGNED ASSISTANT COACHES to have a 1:2 ratio with the head coach. When you get assigned a coordinator, at the beginning of the season you get to assign his talent points. If your level 8 you can only assign 4 of the available 22. Once you get to level 10 you can assign a fifth point. Bare in mind that coordinators progress much slower than head coaches and your coordinator will likely still have more skill points than other users at the same head coaching level with original coordinators. It's kind of a hard concept to explain so let me know if you still don't understand

19. cmassey13

cmassey13 Walk On

Got it. I'm cool with that if everyone else is. I mean it's one of those things we can always change down the road if it seems like we need to. Also, are timesavers going to be allowed? I'm not planning to spend the money on them, but I don't want to be at a disadvantage if we're going to allow them.

20. Spayer419

Spayer419 Walk On

No they will not be allowed

• Like Like x 1
  21. ssuwr86

ssuwr86 Walk On

I like the 3;1 HC, but I'm sort of confused on the other.

22. Glen Cieske

Glen Cieske Walk On

At 2:1 for coordinators

Once your OC/DC leaves to be a HC and the game gives you a new one you can only use points equal to half your level as HC

I.E.

You as the HC are a lvl 10 you can only spend 5 of the development points your new coordinator comes with when he is assigned to your team.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2013