Coaches and Coordinators

Discussion in '4th Horseman' started by Wyrmreaver, Dec 29, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Wyrmreaver

Wyrmreaver Ready for Madden 15 on Xbox One, lets get it on!

So, there has been plenty of chatter about guys "needing" to get an HC gig since they can't play defense as a coordinator. There was even one user who suggested he would be happy to play 12 user games just so he could play both sides in every game.......

A couple things I think are a bit wonky about the Coordinator jobs..... First, since one side of the ball is being super-simmed, the total play count of those games is significantly higher than those of us playing both ways which gives coordinators more opportunity to pad stats and have ridiculous games where they throw for 500+ yards or (gasp) run for 400+..... Second, by taking a Coordinator job they were able to more quickly "upgrade" the quality of their school, then when they play another user, they get an advantage without any of the drawbacks of being a coordinator.

I was curious what everyone thought about the Coordinator thing. I think we should either A) require everyone to be an HC as soon as they have a reasonable job offer, or B) require them to refrain from playing defense even against users by letting the 10 second clock run down (CPU calls the play) and not user contolling a player, just watch the CPU try to stop the other user.

Anyways, it really doesn't matter overall, it just seems to me that we should all be on equal footing or there should be a user vs user handicap for coordinators.

Thoughts from the peanut gallery?

2. Jman

Jman It's a Flying Circus!

I don't think there is anyone who is currently a coordinator that doesn't want a HC gig, neither of them got any offers this year though so it was not an option to leave whereas the OC jobs they took were indeed better than their original HC spots.

I personally don't feel its an issue as I'm pretty damn sure everyone wants an HC job as soon as they can.

It will work itself out soon.

3. Hokie Effect

Hokie Effect Whats a Hokie?

Nothing personal but that is a ridiculous post :confused:

4. Wyrmreaver

Wyrmreaver Ready for Madden 15 on Xbox One, lets get it on!

I'm only trying to spark a conversation hokie, I thought it was crazy when you played hawaii that our teams combined to throw over 120 passes in a game and hawaii ran about 100 plays. That just wouldn't happen if you were playing both sides. And overall I don't care, I'm not a coordinator so it doesnt really impact me at all, I am just bored and slow at work so wanted to get some conversation going. ;)

Also, while I dont feel greatly disadvantaged to the coordinator teams, I am sure that year 2 or whenever you took the TTU gig your roster was a lot better than the 1* HC guys and you got all of the roster benefits on offense and defense in user games. Like I said, I'm just killin time man and thought the coordinator thing was sort of interesting, not sure if you all started as HCs or Coordinators or what since I arrived late to the party, but now we have a couple coordinators and a bunch of HCs so I was curious what everyone thought

5. Baron

Baron "I'm PFP's reckoning."

The only unfair advantage I'd see is if by taking the Coordinator jobs, they had an in to really great schools. Like if instead of Texas Tech and Maryland, we're talking about Bama and USC. And frankly, if we're looking at this on a case-by-case basis, Hokie and Decay were probably going to have A+ prestige anyway and go to great schools. As to a disadvantage, I'd say Hokie not being able to play defense is a huge negative for him (yes, I'm still bitter about my loss in LoS).

I mean there's nobody here that is REALLY struggling and is going to be seriously behind the rest of the pack. Well now that we have people who are competent enough not to go 4-8 after bitching the entire season.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2011
    • Like Like x 1
  6. ChuckDzzNutz

ChuckDzzNutz Walk On

You know my stance on it . . . I think it's total cheeze that would never happen IRL . . . There's not a FBS coach at any of the 120 schools that would leave a HC position to take a coordinator job unless they are a lame duck.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Hokie Effect

I appreciate the chatter, I just didn't think your offered solutions made any sense. No worries though, I expect to be landing a HC job at a perrenial BCS school next season :D

8. IXI DECAY IXI

IXI DECAY IXI Walk On

Yea. I see a couple of top school this year where there coaches are in their last season of their contracts and have a very low job security so I have my eyes on a couple of slots. I HAVE to get out of the ACC! I get no respect from the polls in this conference so I have to find myself to a stronger conference or something.

@Wymreaver I was a Head Coach at Tulane for my first two seasons in which I posted a 20-7 record. My job offer was definitely deserved. I also have stated before that I believe coordinators have a bigger disadvantage. I wish at this point I would have stayed with Tulane because I hate HAVING to score to keep up with my opponent. The SIM defenses are not very good at all. As far as stats go, my plays are very low compared to the league. I run a ball control offense so my players stats never seem to be as high as the leagues. I think you and Hokie's game went lack that due to the AIR attacks.

Also, Jman has done a GREAT job at pairing top schools with top schools in scheduling. Since I have taken over Maryland, I havn't played one lower prestige team.

9. Jman

I disagree.

That's not how the coaching business works, its not all about being able to call yourself a HC its about money and winning and competing on the biggest stage you can get to, while this isn't an occurrence with big name coaches it does happen in multiple levels of the game. IMO the HC at say, Akron would SPRINT to the OC/DC job at say a Texas, Florida, USC, etc, etc. Its not cut and paste one way, a better gig is a better gig.

This conversation bores me. Neither of the two plan on staying an OC, so, why is it being turned into an issue? Why not each of us worry about our own teams and see how things play out, I will NOT force anyone to any job for the sake of being an HC if they do not want that job, won't happen.

10. ChuckDzzNutz

ChuckDzzNutz Walk On

I am particularly happy that you used this example. I happen to personally know the head coach at Akron(I used to produce his radio show) and I called him a little bit ago to wish him Happy Holidays and posed the theoretical question to him (I used USC as an example) and he said "I'm sure I'd give it a look but I' doubt I would take iit. I did the coordinator stuff when I was younger, I'm a Head Man now." Of course typically Akron isn't going to have the former Eddie Robinson Coach of the Year like they do now as their Head man so I could maybe see a Sunbelt Head Coach taking an OC job at USC for twice the money.

11. IXI DECAY IXI

IXI DECAY IXI Walk On

Maryland offered some BIG time money. I couldn't resist. I had to go with the green. ;)

12. Hokie Effect

Charlie Weis went from HC to OC, granted not the way he wanted to....

13. Jman

This is all moot. Who the hell really cares! Haha

Time for a lock down!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.