Coaches Corner: The Parrothead

Discussion in 'The Tradition' started by Mogriffjr, Oct 3, 2011.

1. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Walk On

Featured Threads:
    The Parrothead was once the coach of Oregon State but left unexpectedly. The Beavers, not wanting to be behind the 8-ball, hired Coach_III. Well less than a season later, Ohio State, not happy with the way their program has been going since the firing of Jim Tressel and hiring guys not qualified for the job, they called The Parrothead. Talks ensued and just like that, Parrothead ends up in the Big 10 conference. We now sit down with him and ask him what happened that ill-fated day he left Oregon State and what's his plan for Ohio State.

Thank you for sitting down with us The Parrothead. Let's first talk about you unexpected decision to leave Oregon State. What happened the day you stepped down? Do you regret leaving Oregon State?

---What happened the day I stepped down. Let's just say there were issues outside of the public eye that needed to be addressed. I couldn't give 100% to Oregon State, and that just wouldn't be fair to the squad. I think the administration realize that, and set me free.

Your roster has seemingly upgraded with the new team. Talk about the players you have now and what kind of scheme and philosophies you plan to do here.
    ---Do I regret leaving Oregon State? Yes and no. I'll miss making jokes involving Beavers, that's for sure. I'll also miss the recruits that I had coming in, as I felt I was starting to improve the team. I guess that's up to Coach_III now. On the flip side, I come into a great prestige program with a strong recruiting base. I've already put Penn State on notice with both our most recent game and trash talking a new recruit. Seems like I might have started a downward trend for those folks, as they've lost 3 of 5. And before the rest of you Big Ten coaches laugh, you might want to realize that I'll be coming for you, as well. Michigan, you're next! And don't get too comfortable, Nebraska. Your national championship hopes will fade before the clock hits 0:00 in the Big Ten title game!

I know you just came onto the OSU scene but list some guys you think could be instrumental in the success of Ohio State moving forward.

---The new squad here at Ohio State has something the Beavers never really did, and that's a whole lot of team speed. We're definitely more athletic, and you can see it in the plays that are made on the field. Most recently, I watched our Jr. QB Braxton Miller duck out of a for sure sack, then sprint away from the rush and complete a 40 yard pass downfield. Back in Corvallis, we probably would have not only been sacked, but have fumbled the ball away, too. The talent level difference at this point is huge.

Moving forward, we're hoping QB Miller decides to come back for his senior year. I believe next season and beyond will rely on his return. We'll be losing a lot of quality starters on both sides of the ball. Coming in and recruiting late hasn't helped us, but we're hopeful that the guys currently #2 on the depth chart will take the offseason seriously and help us fill the void that will be left when the seniors graduate.

Fans ask you why you leave OSU (Oregon State) I'm sure. Do you in return say..."No I never left!...I'm still at OSU!"? Knowing that they don't know your actually at OHIO STATE??

---For those who ask why I left the old OSU for the new one, I just say Corvallis sucked! :)

Your coming into a conference that has historic teams thriving like Penn State, Nebraska and Michigan. How difficult you think it will be trying to win here as opposed to in the Pac-12?
    ---I realize the historic powerhouse teams in the Big 10 are sitting there looking to dominate the Buckeyes. As I mentioned before, though, I'm putting those guys on notice. The days of an easy win against the Buckeyes are over. If you want it, you're going to have to earn it. By the end of the game, should you win, you're going to have nothing left in the tank. If you do that, the victory is earned. There are no easy games against the big squads in this conference, and we're going to make sure Ohio State stays on as one of the big time programs here.

What's your favorite moment of NCAA 2012 that you've had so far?

---My favorite moment of NCAA 12? I'd probably say it happened the first season of the game when Oregon State played Stanford. Hot Rod was just rolling and there was nothing that was going to stop his squad. That is, until he went up against the Beavers. Winning that game was definitely the top one for me at this point. The only problem was that later in the season I lost in the conference championship, allowing Hot Rod to sneak back in to the national title game. Ridiculous.

What's your favorite NFL team and why?
    ---My favorite NFL team is and always has been the Oakland Raiders. The first NFL game I remember watching on TV was the Raiders vs. the Chiefs when I was about 5 years old (for those needing the year, it was 1977. The Raiders were awesome back then, but I really didn't know that. I just remember thinking their uniforms looked cool as all could be, so I wanted them to win. I've stuck with them every year since then, from the high points (winning the 1980 and 1983 super bowls was sweet) to the lows (yes, I did watch them get absolutely freaking crushed against Buffalo by about 50 points. Never even changed the channel.). I like where the team is going, and they're actually competitive now. Wasn't too happy about the loss to the Patriots, but we made far too many mistakes to win that one. Nice to see us at 2-2, as I figured that's where we would be at this point. Just didn't realize we'd lose to the Bills but beat the Jets. I also like to follow one of the team's mantras: Just win, baby!

I always ask this question...what are some gameplay improvements you would like to see with the NCAA franchise? Do you think EA is close to making this game as sim as possible?
    ---What would I like to see done? Tough question. I'm more about the gameplay than appearances. For the life of me, I never understood why everyone would go crazy about dreadlocks but give gameplay aspects a lower desire. One thing I'd like to have EA leave behind is the defenders who can magically make a play on the pass when their back is turned to the play. Even if you had eyes in the back of your head, you couldn't see through your freaking helmet. I'm also not a fan of LB's being able to swat down a pass that's intended for a guy that's about 10-15 yards downfield from the LB. I guess those are two of my biggest peaves.

And of course with my last question, I leave you the floor to say whatever you feel.
    ---Anything else I want to say? I like how this league moves and flows. People don't sit around waiting to play their game. Sure, there's a deadline, but how often does it have to be enfored? I also like the trash talk and how everyone is able to give and take. I think that's important, as it makes a league more fun (as long as the trash talk doesn't go too far, you know?). Looking forward to dominating the new conference. I mean, looking forward to playing in the new conference.

Thank You

Thank you and it's been a pleasure having you.

@The Parrothead was one of my more imformative interviews to date. His views on how the conference may shake up is a big one for me because OSU maybe returning to prominence under his watch. The talent has been there for a while but someone to harness that talent was all that was needed. Seeing what he did with Oregon State makes me wonder what he could do with OSU's talent pool and base. Ohio State fans have been wanting another title and they may soon get their wish.

Also guys if there are any questions you have and want to be answered by our coaches here at T1, please PM me your questions! Thank you and be sure to check in for our next installment of Coaches' Corner!

• Like Like x 4
  2. The Parrothead

The Parrothead Walk On

You'll get informative when I'm sitting at work waiting for queries to finish running. haha. I had nothing but time today.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Hellisan

Hellisan Schemin 'em up

Hey Parrot, whereabouts do you hail from originally, and where do you live now? (If you don't mind my asking!)

4. The Parrothead

The Parrothead Walk On

Born in San Diego, went to school in Iowa, and I now live in North Carolina.

5. Twister18

Twister18 I aint got time to bleed!

Great job again Mo!!

6. jfosh

jfosh Super

Mo great read again!

7. jms493

jms493 Veteran Member

[​IMG]

8. The Parrothead

The Parrothead Walk On

Awesome. Either it's just me that can't see it, or there's an issue. Either way, I'm not impressed. :D MaxATX34