Coaches Corner.....

Discussion in 'The Deuce' started by JrRawlins, Mar 11, 2011.

1. JrRawlins

JrRawlins People hate me cause they aint me...

Question #1 If you exclude yourself, who is the best player/coach, (they dont have to have the most titles) in your view in the Deuce?

Question #2 What player/coach has given you the most fits so far?

Question #3 Has your team met your expectations to date?

Question #4 What team have you owned so far in the Deuce?

Question #5 If you could change one thing about the Deuce what would it be?

Question #6 Who is the one player that if they change this one thing they could be great?

Question #7 What is your team's biggest strength/weakness?

Question #8 What are your expectations for your team in the next few seasons?

Question #9 Whats on your wishlist for NCAA 2012?

Question #10 Who has been your favorite player of the Dynasty so far?

Bonus Question -- Who is the player that you let slip away that could have changed your program for the better?

2. GoGators

GoGators GT: KSherm

Question #1 If you exclude yourself, who is the best player/coach, (they dont have to have the most titles) in your view in the Deuce?

@Dru50 - I think he was the only guy to beat OM and he was smart enough to get out before OM turned on his game genie and commenced ass kicking mode.

Sadly I haven't played half the guys in this league yet so the guys I've had most trouble with are the usual suspects, JR's KSU squad, OM the one time we played, and BBJ's BC squad I think he's got me 2-1 currently.

Missouri definitely did. Miami is proving to be quite the rebuilder. I probably should of taken Duke. Looking at the recruits interested in us it's unlikely we'll be able to compete at the level we were at with Missouri until `12 drops.

Mississippi St. My Missouri squad just messed with Mustang psychologically. I think we beat him 3 straight seasons.

As the FNG to the Deuce for `11 I have some feedback that I wanted to share about my experiences so far. I was waiting till the opportune time to share my thoughts, but since you asked, I guess I'll do it here. As a disclaimer I think this is a great league and I mean this stuff respectfully.

My biggest gripe is that sometimes I get the feeling the number one goal of this league is to advance at a break neck pace rather than have the deep dynasty experience that you see some of the other leagues have. We advance so fast that I don't feel there's ever any buildup to the big games in this dynasty. A great example is last night's Ole Miss vs BC game. That game should of had it's own thread with a prediction and analysis. Instead, the games already over and I have no idea about either of the two teams or who the league favorite in that game would of been. Additionally a handful of games get simmed in this league and honestly to me that makes the quality of some of our previous seasons less than what they could be. Maybe it's just me but I know I struggle to produce great content in here because I struggle to find enough time to get my game in let alone recruit and generate content here. I know everyone in this league is capable of putting up some of the best content on this site but I don't feel we give ourselves the time to do it. And I'm not saying a big trade off would be required. The commitment to this league is AMAZING and that's what makes it so great. I just think we could be midway though season 8 right now and have amazing content and dialogue for all the seasons versus where we are now.

But again, I'm just the FNG so feel free to tell me to shut the hell up, but this is my feedback on my deuce experience so far.

Other than that, and I know I don't get 2 critiques, but I have to put this one out there. We have to fix the schedule rotations! We're 10 seasons in and I've never played Drifter, Sanders, or Shaun. I've played OM and BBJ once or twice. Yet I've played Mustang nearly a half dozen times.

Question #6 Who is the one player that if they change this one thing they could be great?

Since I haven't played everyone yet.......my thought is if Mustang could play in a different division from OM he'd be a much better player haha.

Biggest strength - defensive line and sadly it's not that big of a strength
    Biggest Weakness - offensive line.

Our goal is to finally beat GT and get to an ACC championship game. Once there though, BBJ probably has too much of a headstart talent wise for me to catch up with what time we have left in `11.

Capability to do off-seasons from your computer
    iphone/droid app that will allow full dynasty wire functionality (shouldn't be too hard since EA already has a ton of app games out)
    Improved AI for the cpu
    120 ways to win on defense with correct defensive alignments and improved zone pass coverage

Tyler Gabbert! Mr. Heisman.

Bonus Question -- Who is the player that you let slip away that could have changed your program for the better?

Not sure, sadly I haven't had enough time to delve that deep into recruiting that I can worry about the players I don't get. There were a bunch of CBs while at Missouri though that would of made a huge difference for us there.

3. JrRawlins

-- I would have to give the best builder to Shaun he took Duke to a national title..... Most consistent to Lawdog..... but overall probably to Drifter....

--Probably Lawdog and @BringbackJimmy, bastids.....

-- depends on the team, Kansas State got to a national title game and seems to be a solid program still without me.... Iowa State i wasnt there long enough.... Georgia we are definitely on the right path with 2 conference championship appearances, but we havent quite gotten over the hump yet to be national title contenders, but we are moving in the right direction....
    -- not really anyone.... to be honest.....

-- nothing really love the way it is, wish some guys would post alittle more, or make the offseason nights but besides that nothing.....

-- I would have to say either Bondzai who with a good running back and a solid o-line is very tough to beat...... or Khaalis, he has one of the better passing attack i have seen, but he always seems to have a turnover or a big play against him at a critical time

Weaknessess -- too aggressive especially on defense....i leave my corners on islands far too often...
    Strengths -- not sure maybe my playcalling i can get on a good roll at times and have my opponent guessing...

BCS title.....

similar gameplay to 2011..... alittle better recruiting system for 2012....

HB Adam Joseph, probably because he was such a surprise but he is definitely the pulse of my Georgia team right now.....

Damn....there were a couple.... none have gone to user teams though, so i havent tracked them as much as i probably should.....

4. OMlawdog

OMlawdog Going full Cheeze

Shaun. He is great on the sticks and has a great game plan every time I have played him.

JR always gives me fits, though I normally can pull out a victory.

Ole Miss has exceeded my own expectations.

Probably South Carolina. Every time we play Im able to put the hammer down on SC.

Hmmmm, I would like to have a draft each year from an agreed upon 12-14 teams, with a draft order based on results from the prior year. Worst overall record gets first pick, best overall record gets last pick.

Gators, could be unstoppable with improved recruiting skills.

Biggest strength of my team is overall depth. I almost always recruit two years in advance and almost never have a true or redshirt freshman in a starting position.

Biggest weakness, is that Im not the world's best guy on the sticks.

To keep winning SEC and National Titles to the point that it is really, really obnoxious.

More advanced recruiting. Pipeline multiplier should vary based on the number of players you have on your team. Having 20 players from Texas vs having 4 should mean something. Also, the CPU recruiting logic needs to be updated to the point that teams like OK and AL don't sign 7 centers in one year.

Keenan Kiel - Just a super stud WR that I didn't fully utilize, but still enjoyed playing.

Ummm?

5. JrRawlins

Thats one of the drawbacks of the breakneck pace..... with the 2 conference setup and more user games we might be able to get posts up in the future.....

6. Emmdotfrisk

Emmdotfrisk Working half days on my days off.

I haven't played everyone but I have to see in my eyes @Shaun Mason is the best I have played. He is the only one who has shut me down to the point where I am asking myself what the fuck am I doing.

Nobody has really given me the fits yet. I am still trying to build up Georgia Tech to comparable caliber of the rest of the league. I will know for sure when I have my team where they need to be and I am getting worked.

Actually they have. I didn't think I would do as well as I have with Georgia Tech. I have had some good recruiting classes which has enabled me to do well against some users here and there.

Virginia. They are terrible and I play them last ACC game of my season every year. Last season I had the fourth stringers in loving life.

I wouldn't change anything. The communication, content, gameplay, and advance speed is unlike any other dynasty I have ever been in. I find it funny when leagues who choose to advance 72 hours + because they want more content, have less than the Deuce. I like being apart of this league and I feel I get along with everyone.

I have to agree with @JrRawlins when he says @jkhaalis991. Everytime I have played khaalis I have beat him with a big play, whether it be broken coverage, a interception, or fumble. Its crazy, it seems like he just has terrible luck.

My teams and my playstyles biggest weakness is my conservative playcalling on both sides of the ball. I don't blitz, I like 3 deep zone, and I rarely pass on 3rd and long. My biggest strength is my strategy and ability to understand the game. My teams biggest strength is our run game. After 4 seasons of seeking out the quickest smartest lineman in the nation, we have put together a steady revolving door on the OL.

I anticipate that I will lose 3 or 4 games every year. I don't think there will be a time that I can steal one from @bringbackjimmy...the caliber of players on our teams are just so vast. I came close last season but I don't think he will let it be that close ever again. I think Gators will beat me this year. His QB is damn tough to stop and especially with my brutal secondary it could be a long game vs him.

Well obviously to continue to be a part of the duece, I love playing with you guys. I feel we all have the same mentality towards gaming with friends. You can't find that in every league on this site. As for the 2012 release I would love to continue the 6 v 6 setup, with the new setup of Big 10 (12) and Pac 10 (12), I think it would be pretty sweet to do that setup but I love the Big 10, so thats just my thoughts haha. As for the game, I see they are focusing on making the game more realistic and boosting the environment and college atmosphere. While that may be cool, I am not primarily concerned with the small details. I would be very happy if they kept the same engine and graphics for next season but gave Online and Offline Dynasty the biggest overhaul. Adding things to make it totally customizable. Things like:

- Custom recruiting classes
    - Adding Head Coach, O Coordinator, D coordinator, and Stength/Conditioning positions (to give ratings boosts to specific positions of your choice
    - Adding Team and coaching Identities. This would help CPU teams recruit properly and better for their program
    - Custom Offseason Training Focus for grouped positions
    - Offseason Spring Game
    -and many more

Those are just a couple things off the top of my head

My QB Mark Merriman. I remember talking with @JrRawlins about who I should start. It was between Merriman and a senior I had. I went with @JrRawlins advice and started Merriman back when he was a 74 OVR Frosh. He now is a 95 OVR SR and leading my offense. I didn't get a lot of time with WR Bobby DeAngelis but man he was the best WR I have ever had in this game.

As of right now I havent let anyone slip away. I haven't been into any crazy recruiting battles but I am sure I will in the next couple seasons. I have already started to battle with @Drifterbub and @theSANDMAN215 on a daily basis.

7. Bondzai

Bondzai Your Mom's Best Friend

This is tough because there are a ton of good players in the league. I have to put Drifter, Lawdog, and JR at the top of the list in no particular order.

Pretty much everybody but JR has always gotten me the worst, in games and recruiting.

No, not really.

I haven't owned anyone but I beat Sanders, so that has to count for something.

I don't know, this has been a consistently solid OD for the last 3 years.

Me, if I could learn how to play.

The D-line is probably my strength, and the O-line is the weakness.

I'm looking to get to a BCS bowl game.

For the love of god, get rid of the 68" verticals on the LBs.

That's easy...Chris Whaley.

I can't really think of any off the top of my head.

8. Drifterbub

Drifterbub Help me hide a body?

Featured Threads:

I think it's a tie for 1st between LawDog and Jr. Lawdog has a mountain of hardware and that is hard to ignore. Jr is probably better on the sticks when he has his team built up and tuned.

Ha, everyone? I'm just a fly that mostly stays on the wall, only swooping down to be a nuisance.

Eh, not really. I've had a bad string of luck it seems. All my studs leave early despite not winning a damn thing. I put myself in great position and then lose the games I'm favored in. I don't play against users well. I just don't have the time to spend playing and 'labbing' like I used to. The results show that.

Nobody. Everyone that I have played has beaten me. Khaalis and I always have great games, but I definitely won't say that I have owned him. Historically I probably have more W's, but they are tight games that could have went either way.

Content. We slack a lot on content and blame our pace. I'm guilty of this, probably more than anyone. I like having lines on games, recruiting summaries outside of commit announcements and build up for games. However, with the pace, we get to recruit more and watch more players develop and graduate. There is a trade-off.

Shaun is definitely capable of playing with the big boys. He executes his offense very well with sub-par players (for the most part) and can really have you on your heels. I know I sometimes can pick up patterns in his playcalling and move in to stuff a run or swat a pass down. If he opens up his playbook, he could be a force.

Running game. I recruit guys who can move piles and backs who can make something happen. We got away from that recently mainly due to recruiting mishaps, but you are starting to see us come around. Now that attack is supplemented by a strong passing attack. I finally have a good QB and a nice WR corps full of playmakers. TE is our most deep and talented position and our offense needs studs there.

Secondary is a huge weakness and has been since season 1. I just can't bring enough guys in to maintain a consistent back 4. Recently I had my best DB leave early. I found a stud corner and it took me four years to recruit someone even comparable to match-up opposite of him.

We just have to keep getting better and try not to take any steps back. We have veterans at the skill positions on offense but a young offensive line. If we can bring in some playmakers on offense with this class who can play early, we could be in business. Defensively, we have to keep bringing in LBs who can grow into our scheme. Also, as with the previous 10 seasons, we have to keep trying to bring in difference makers in the secondary.

See JMustang's article on the mainpage HERE

MLB Terrance Perry or HB Dustin Peterson. Perry is the current leader of our defense and is EVERYWHERE. Peterson is an award winning back that holds just about every record at Wake Forest.

Where do I begin? QB Cornelious Blount (Duke), HB Christian Ricks (Duke), DT Tariq Roberson (Ole Miss), CB Justin Tate (SCar), T Ronald Bush (Mizz), MLB Nic Taylor (Rutgers), CB Luke Guidry (Bama).... I could go on.

9. GoGators

Since I commented on the same thing regarding question 5 I figured I'd share a couple ideas to maybe help with this.
    1 - Take the current situation with Shaun vs Bondzai, they're unlikely to get their game in tonight or tomorrow so it'll likely be simmed. Instead we should give them the extra day to get it in (if possible) and in the mean time the rest of us might have a chance to get some more content up while waiting on their game. The other plus side to this is that the user vs user game actually gets played.

2 - Maybe it's coincidence, but it seems you guys always stack the schedules so we have all our byes weeks during weeks 13-15. I personally dislike this because then I never get a night off during the season. I'd really prefer my bye weeks in the middle of the season rather than stacked at the end, one for recruiting purposes when trying to round out your class with those guys that don't want to take visits till week 14. And two, we end up waiting for guys to recruit anyways so those days w/all the byes still take a day to get through.

And holy cow Drifter! Do you have a list of these guys on the wall of shame on the side of your refrigerator that you look at every morning while eating your oatmeal?

10. Drifterbub

Featured Threads:
    1) You are assuming guys would post content if they had the time. A few probably would, other's just wait till we advance or until they sign a stud recruit to even post.

2) Yes we stack the schedules like this on purpose. Most guys take the opposite approach with having a bye week in weeks 1-6 since most people bring in recruits very early. OM and I can keep that in mind when making your schedule. As long as we aren't waiting until 9 or 10 at night for you to finish while everyone else is done with recruiting, it's not really an issue. It's more realistic to have bye weeks.

That was all from memory. There are several others. I could probably give you their PS#s and state or origins as well. =(

11. JrRawlins

I try to make a post either daily or every other day, but the pace we move at doesnt always allow people to respond or maybe they choose against it, i cant really tell but, I try to get everyone as involved as possible....

12. jkhaalis991

jkhaalis991 Back in The Deuce...been gone too long.

I say you can either say OM or JR. OM has the titles, JR is great on the controller.

All users have given me fits. Alot of user games I shoot myself in the foot with turnovers.

Yes. My DLINE looks to be a force the next couple of seasons, I'm deep @ the WR spot & my TE spot seems solid for the next 3 years.

None. I haven't won a user game in NCAA 11(& only a total of 3 since the Deuce started).

I love the Deuce. IMO its the best league on the site. We used to be the fastest moving league on the site, but Cream of the Crop has surpass us(there in year 14 I believe), so we are the fastest league on the XBOX360 side. I want us to get back to that. Also I would like every1 to attend off-season & to get on Skype. Always 1-3 guys missing. Another thing about off-season....the time it starts. Now us east coast guys suffer the most when we start @ 10pm est, can we start it 9pm est or 9:30pm est? That way if its 2 hrs its still only 11pm 11:30pm est. If 10pm est is good for every1, then lets keep it moving so we can finish in an hour. Now everything said I would like to see come NCAA 12.

Myself. I need to stop turning the ball over. Its has been my problem since the Deuce started.

DLINE is my biggest strength. Got a FR DE @ 6'7" & 273lbs thats a monster & FR DT that looks to be solid for the next 4 years.
    OLINE is my biggest weakness. Guys I recruit never pan out.

Just to play in bowl games. Can I contend for a NC title, probably not, but you never know.

-As Bondzai said, remove the high jumping LBs. Still can't believe this is a problem after all these years.
    -Fix the yellow zone defenses(all zone defense for that matter). I'm tired of seeing the middle of the field wide open when I call a zone defense where my LBs are suppose to protect the middle.
    -Allow me to put my best CB on their best WR or slot guy no matter where they are on the field.
    -Slow down the Spread offense.
    -Fix the CPU FG kicking. They miss way to much easy FGs.

HB P.J. Thornton - He graduated last year, but I had him for 2 years & he was just great running the ball.

13. Jmustang1968

Jmustang1968 Walk On

To me, results speak for themselves. OM has ruled this dynasty the entire time I have been in it.

I have yet to beat OM or Gators, so those 2

Ya for the most part. I think we have been very successful while sharing a division with an NFL team. We have been competitive every year, and have managed to secure the coveted 6 star prestige. Not satisfied until we can beat Ole Miss though.

hmm, well Khaalis when he was Kentucky and I am so far 2-0 against JR with Georgia. However, my team has been a good bit better than either of theirs, so would be interesting to see the results with more even team skill

Hmmm, thought about this for a few moments and nothing has immediately come to mind. This is a great OD and I am grateful to have been invited in.

Khaalis. I think I echo some others about the turnovers and possibly some recruiting strategies that could push him over the edge to be a contender each year.

Before, my defense was the weakness and offense and particularly the passing game was the strength. However, the power balance between Off and Def has equalized and I have a much more balanced offensive attack because of my D and HB recruits.

My current team weakness would have to be at corner. CB Mark is an 84 and the best corner we have had. However, we have been addressing the position lately and look to be on the way to fixing this.

Our biggest strength this year is at LB. We have been running the 3-4 now with great success and have all 4 starting linebackers above 87 ovr.

Atleast 10 wins, BCS games, and give OM a run for the money

LB batting down balls issue, or QBs putting more realistic passing arcs.

Fix recruiting balance. Illogical recruit ratings, recruiting depth at certain positions, pipeline issues.

Being able to save OD games in case of disconnects

We have had a few good ones but it would have to be between WR Manson and QB Hodges who each own an NCAA career record and own about every school record. They were outstanding players for us and instrumental in getting the program to where it is now.

Out of sight out of mind

14. GoGators

Props to you for sure JR you do a great job at putting up some solid content. I try my best to respond to your ideas but sometimes that damn thing called work gets in the way!

A couple people have commented on the offseason night issue. I agree on this one. I've missed quite a few of these lately but it's due to the timing of them. I understand that we need to schedule things so the West Coast guys can be there but it's unfair if in order to do that some of us east coast guys always end up sacraficing because we need to start so late. Ideally it'd be nice to get everyone there, but it'd also be nice to see some different people's schedules taken into consideration for a change. For example this last offseason I posted the only night I couldn't run it was Tuesday. When did we do it? Tuesday. It kinda sucks. But at the same time we'll hold off until 10pm et to make sure others can make it.

I'm not meaning to call anyone out here or be disrespectful, it'd just be nice to make concessions for other people from time to time. I'm also to blame though as in some cases I should of done better to get a sub.

And I don't mean to rant so much, this truly is a great league and I enjoy being a part of it. I just wanted to share some of the situations that have made it difficult for me to be as fully involved as I'd like to be.

15. Drifterbub

Featured Threads:
    I think everyone here takes into account the group when we schedule an offseason. It's usually some of the east coast guys that have a hard time making it earlier (Sanders, Shaun, JR and you all can work late during the week). The last two nights were Tuesdays because we were ready for the offseason and wed-fri are typically out of the question for multiple people.

I'll agree they need to happen earlier. I can't stay up and do schedules if we start at 9 cst. I think every time we make a conscious effort to start early, but there are always people who have exceptions.

16. JrRawlins

I personally dont mind the later starts, i am up anyways... with my kids its hard for me to start any earlier than 8 pm est.. anyways... i still feel Sundays work the best, but we have been just missing Sundays lately for some reason.... speak of content, i got some new stuff coming shortly....

17. jkhaalis991

Another NCAA 12 wish list item:

I want the commish to have a graph of blitzes, press coverage, zone coverage, gameplan calling(are they using aggressive or conservative gameplan), playing the run to the left, right or middle, run plays up the middle, between the tackles or to the outside...etc.. of user games(against CPU & USER).

That way we can keep track of who is playing sim.

18. JrRawlins

its pretty easy to tell is someone is using the run commits against you, if you want i can give you examples of what to look for. the zone/press coverage is obviously harder.... madden used to track those back in the day, i think it was like madden 05 or 06....

19. GoGators

I don't think the commish should be the only one seeing these stats though. I think every team should have this data tracked as a scouting report in the game. I mean after all, if it's in the game.....

• Like Like x 1
  20. jkhaalis991

True, but I also want to see it for CPU games.

21. theSANDMAN215

theSANDMAN215 Hokie, Hokie, Hokie, HI

@JRRawlins I know Lawdog owns me every year, but I still feel JR is the best player in this league.

Without a doubt, @OMlawdog He's owned me every year except the first couple.

Yup. I would like to have a couple more SEC Championships, but it's a tough conference. My recruiting has really picked up though.

The only player I've defeated on a constant basis is @jkhaalis991 , but even against him I never really dominated him. Our games usually were tight and would come down to a couple of plays.

I'm not sure how I would change it, but I wish we would start the off-season nights earlier. For us east coast guys, it's tough to start at 10:00 PM est, and not finish until around 11:30 PM est. I get up around 5:30 AM each morning because I have a 45-minute commute, but for the most part, I've made the sacrifice. I've missed a couple of the off-seasons, and I think only one was due to a late start.

@Jkaalis991 I still think if he would go back to his spread offense he would have great seasons like in the past.

Strengths would be that I feel my offense can compete with anyone in this game. My defense is another story. I have the hardest time being able to stop user teams on a consistent basis.

Win at least one SEC Championship. I feel if I can win the SEC, I will have a shot at the national championship.

Defense. I just feel this game is wide open on offense. The suction blocking, ridiculous secondary positioning kills defenses in this game.

Eric Jackson or Walter James. I'm leaning towards James because he won the Heisman at WR.

No one. I don't pay attention to players once they decide on another school.

22. Drifterbub

Featured Threads:
    I would venture to say that you don't even pay attention to the players at your school. LOL.

23. theSANDMAN215

theSANDMAN215 Hokie, Hokie, Hokie, HI

LOL. That is true sometimes.

24. bringbackjimmy

bringbackjimmy WTFWTTD

JR is the best player on the sticks as he can win with alot less than both me and OM need...

I am OM's Bitch until further notice..

1 NC and every ACC title beside 2 or 3 yrs. i think thats a solid job, but i would like to get at least 1 more NC title

this yr it's been drifter. I wouldn't really say owned as somebody doesn't want him to beat me as weird stuff always happens in our games...

nothing really, this is the best dynasty by far on the site and will be as long as we keep our core of great gamers and remain lucky in finding great members for the ones that have to leave.. I would love to get Charlie sheen as our next member if possible as i would think he would be great for offseason nights...

Khaalis. it seems he is in most of his games, but has that one big play that breaks his back..

Front 7 is my biggest strength
    running game right now is my weakness. it looks like fontaine's injury from last yr is still hindering him

NC titles or bust

1.getting rid of sliders(drifter's worse nightmare). have players just actually play as their ratings indicate.
    2.zones that actually work.
    3.this probably goes in line with number 2, but smaller field. right now it's to big and the players have to much ground to cover.
    4.better clock management. there is no way a team can have a 7-8 play drive to win the game when there is only 45 seconds to drive the field and not have to use Timeouts or go out of bounds.

Dotson. he's my favorite because he proves you can have a dominant WR even if he doesn't have any speed.

nobody slips by. OM just takes them...

25. bringbackjimmy

bringbackjimmy WTFWTTD

and why didn't get a tag JR...:(