Coaches Corner

Discussion in '4th Horseman' started by Jamie, Jul 13, 2012.

1. Jamie

Jamie Walk On

I thought it would be cool to use this space to share our feelings about our current squad and season in general.

And of course the EA servers appear to be down. So I will get to mine a little later.

2. Jamie

Jamie Walk On

Jamie Wolf- Head Coach of the Northern Illinois Huskies.

Offensively we are led by Junior QB Jordan Lynch and Jr. RB Akeem Daniels. Using the Miami University Pro style offensive playbook, we look to run a balanced offense. If we can run the ball 20 to 25 times a game, we'll be happy.

Defensively we are pretty thin up front, so we will rely on our Linebackers more. We are running a 4-3 set. The leader of the defense is Jr. ROLB Jimmy Ward. We have three solid Corners, led by Sr. Rashan Melvin. Our defensive foundation is on a lot of man to man and try to keep everything in front of us. Bend but don't break.

I would like to improve our offensive and defensive lines in this recruiting period. A future playmaking RB and better LB's as well.

Getting ready for week one!

• Like Like x 1
  3. Automatik

Automatik Walk On

After winning their 1st bowl game in program history, the Ragin' Cajuns fired HC Mark Hudspeth. "Nobody cares about the New Orleans Bowl" said AD Scott Farmer to Hudspeth as he packed his things. So ULL signed Coach Heisenberg, a NO BS type of coach to a 1 year contract expecting big things from the start.

The Ragin' Cajuns are relying heavily on New Orleans MVP (QB)Blaine Gauthier to put up big numbers, as well as RB Alonzo Harris.

The Cajuns lost 9 starters on defense, so things might get ugly fast if the underclassmen don't step up early on. Star CB Jemarious Moten was moved to SS to try to shore up a pass defense that gave up 144 passing plays of 10 or more yards(117th Nation)

Biggest game of 2012: You can bet we have the Arkansas St (2011 Sun Belt champions) game circled on our schedule.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2012
    • Like Like x 1
  4. RyanC

RyanC Walk On

Just be glad I don't get Dyer for a year

5. Automatik

Automatik Walk On

You don't really? I thought he was eligible this year...

6. RyanC

RyanC Walk On

He has the transfer icon next to his name in the game

7. Automatik

Automatik Walk On

Last edited: Jul 13, 2012
  8. RyanC

RyanC Walk On

It isn't too bad. Arky State is loaded at HB

9. RyanC

RyanC Walk On

Arky State Red Wolves

Offense: All about Ryan Aplin, the senior quarterback is going to be a key cog in this offense and his play will determine at least a couple games. With Dyer sitting out a transfer year, the offense will look to rely on a tandem of Frankie Jackson and Sirgregory Thornton.

Defense: The Red Wolves bring a solid but not spectacular defense to the field and will look to win games on their playcalling moreso than individual talent

• Like Like x 2
  10. Wyrmreaver

Wyrmreaver Ready for Madden 15 on Xbox One, lets get it on!

[​IMG]

The Black Knights announced new Head Football Coach Neal Hennessy this week at West Point. Coach Hennessy's arrival is the beginning of big changes on the field. The wingbone and fleXbox One are out and a new Multiple base offense takes it's place with pro and spread concepts at the forefront. On defense Coach Hennessy intends to run an aggressive 3-4 defense.

Defense: 3-4 (standard)

The first word that comes to mind for this defense is undersized. The teams nose tackle, senior Jarret Mackey weighs just 240lb. On either side of him are two of the watts brothers. Senior Zach is 207 lb while junior Corey is 220 lb. At linebacker, sophomore Geoffrey Bacon is very talented on the inside with great speed and instincts but only a 200 lb frame, while Senior Ty Shrader at just 176 lb will hold down one of the OLB spots. The strength of this defense should be the secondary, sophomore corner Marcus Jackson has a ton of potential while senior FS Thomas Holloway is the teams impact defender. Look for Coach Hennessy to rely heavily on the secondary to hold up while getting creative with the front seven.

Offense: Multiple (custom)

Senior QB Trent Steelman is the triggerman for the new look offense. Trent lacks an elite arm but is very athletic and will force teams to respect his running ability. Junior tailback Raymond Maples is that rare service academy player with BCS conference talent. The 6-1, 200 lb stud has good speed and vision and is likely to be the bell cow of this offense. The receiving corps lacks high end speed and the undersized offensive line is unlikely to give the team a great deal of time to develop plays down the field, so expect the passing game to rely on short, quick throws to move the chains and mask the teams weaknesses. The biggest wildcard on the offense is senior fullback Jared Hassin. The 6-3, 235 pound co team captain was in many ways a feature runner in the "b-back" spot in the flex. Given his speed, hands, size, and ability in the open field the coaching staff is putting him all over the field in an effort to create mismatches. Expect to see #7 lined up at HB, FB, TE, or WR on any given play.

• Like Like x 2
  11. papaloke

papaloke Fifty Shades of NCAA

Ole%20Miss%20Stadium.jpg

2012 Ole Miss Rebels

Ole Miss is coming off a 2 win season which was their worst since 1920 something. A coaching change was inevitable since Houston Nutt lost control of the team and spent more time bass fishing than coaching football. IN steps newcomer Coach Papaloke with the challenge of making the Rebels competitive again in probably the toughest division in college football, the SEC West.
    Offense:
    Question marks abound, the Rebels never found a QB last year, rotated several but no one stepped up to take the job. RS Soph QB Bo Wallace transferred and is now on campus ready to compete. Wallace was a JUCO standout and broke records all over the place but this was just JUCO. 4 Star QB Barry Brunetti will also compete for the job. When asked who was the #1, coach papaloke exclaimed, "Right now I would give Bo a slight advantage but we really won't know anything until after the first couple of games". The running back position is extremely thin, Jr Jeff Scott will be asked to carry the load. He's a quick little guy and we're hoping he can stay healthy all year.
    Defense:
    The defense is led by FS Charles Sawyer, a florida speed product he will be called on to help a defense squad that doesn't have much depth. The two DE position will be a focus for Coach Papaloke. Both So. CJ Johnson and true freshman Channing Ward will be asked to hold down the d line. Both were the #1 rated players coming out of the state of Mississipi their senior years of highschool so the pressure of them playing well is extremely high.
    Expectations:
    Looking at the schedule without drinking the red and blue kool aid, it's pretty obvious the team is going to have some growing pains. A 7 win season would be far more than could be expected this year, an 8 win year and the Rebel fan base might erect a statue of ball coach Papaloke.

• Like Like x 3
  12. Jamie

Jamie Walk On

NIU 7 ILL 6

Defense stepped up huge for us today. Illinois runs a no huddle option attack. Thankfully our guys seemed to be in better shape, as they seemed to tire quicker than we did. After their first drive, which ended in a botched pitch fumble at our own 23 yard line, they had trouble moving the ball against us. The two field goals that they got were curtosy a couple turnovers by us in their territory.

We have to move the ball better offensively. Reached our goal of 20-25 carries, 25 to be exact, for 69 yards. -30 of those yards were due to Lynch being sacked outside the pocket on three occasions. So 25 for 99 by our running backs; I'll take that. Our shining moment was when Lynch split the safties with a pass right into the waiting arms of Ashford. That was the lone score for us.

We have Cal next week in their house. We need to step it up to have a chance.

13. Selvy9

Selvy9 Walk On

If you look at the top of the forum, there's a "Game Summaries" page these can go in. I don't know if one's been created yet for '13, but just for future reference :)

14. Wilfiger PSU 38

Wilfiger PSU 38 Walk On

Too early to tell with the Owls from Philly...solid run came in scrimmages and decent passing, but Arizona shut it down and didn't let the O get rolling in game 1...Long season...Gettting READY for week 2!

15. Wyrmreaver

Wyrmreaver Ready for Madden 15 on Xbox One, lets get it on!

So far, so good for the Black Knights. After surviving the Parrot attack we got to thump his CPU squad and then also thumped SDSU. I'm liking my playbook so far, I was a little unsure having to pick one so early in the game cycle, but I figured I could always mix it up in season 2 if need be.

16. Jamie

Jamie Walk On

Tough loss to Cal in week two. 3.3 ypc is not going to cut it. I think we need to open the playbook more. My QB is more than capable. A few too many key drops last week which is not good. Not happy with the offense at all. Even though we gave up about 4.4 ypc, most of those came in the final minute when the game was decided. Defensively we played good. But we have to eliminate the big plays on us.

I hope we are able to sign a couple guys in the weeks ahead. I would be lying if I said that I wasn't a little concerned with recruiting this year.

17. Jamie

Jamie Walk On

Tough loss to Cal in week two. 3.3 ypc is not going to cut it. I think we need to open the playbook more. My QB is more than capable. A few too many key drops last week which is not good. Not happy with the offense at all. Even though we gave up about 4.4 ypc, most of those came in the final minute when the game was decided. Defensively we played good. But we have to eliminate the big plays on us.

I hope we are able to sign a couple guys in the weeks ahead. I would be lying if I said that I wasn't a little concerned with recruiting this year.

18. Jamie

Jamie Walk On

Northern Illinois had a successful 2012 campaign although it did not end well. 10-4 (7-1 in the MAC), the MAC Title and heart breaking loss in the GoDaddy.Com Bowl.

The team seems a little bit weaker in '13. Two Guards on the O-Line graduated and are replaced by a couple of Freshmen. Tyler White has the right side while Scott Taylor anchors the left. QB Jordan Lynch is back and hoping to improve on last years numbers. Akeem Daniels is the primary running bank with not much depth behind him. Da'Ron Brown returns and has been working on his catching. He had many problems last year holding onto the ball, though, he did grab a pair of game winning touchdowns.

Gone are D-Linemen Baxter and Progar, replaced by Jr. Jason Meehan and Fr. Lionel Gibson. Gibson gives the team a legitimate pass rusher. NIU got decent pressure last year but they hope Gibson gives them more. Jr. OLB Michael Santacantarina and Sr. OLB Jimmy Ward anchor the D from the linebacker position and Fr. MLB Adam Bolden will provide immediate help. SS. Dechane was very upset about not making the All-User Team after last year and has vowed to make a huge impact this year.

We can't imagine a scenario in which NIU does not win the MAC again in 2013. They have to be considered a favorite, even with all of the freshmen that are asked to contribute right away.