Coaching Box: Week 12 - Coach Jax

Discussion in 'Thread Archive' started by Jayrah, Dec 31, 2010.

1. Jayrah

Jayrah AllCougdUp.com Editor - A.M. avatar Guru

ESPN is partnering with Night Owls each week to get critical information from at least one coach in the league. "The Coaching Box" will be asking the tough questions for question's sake, and a basically fun read. All questions are asked by an anonymous, fictitious, totally made up ESPN analyst from NCAA 11 and are, under no circumstances, a personal attack or inquiry from ME (repeat, for questions sake and fun read), nor does my possibly narrow-minded and irrational analyst, necessarily, reflect my personal opinions or views. Coaches are in no way required to respond with anything more than.... NO COMMENT. But just know that you are not a tough coach unless you answer the tough questions. Mwahahaha. All coaches are invited to join conversation, but please, only specific coaches are being asked the questions.

The Coaching Box week 12:

Coach Jax please:

"Wondering about last weeks decision. What convinced you to make the switch at qb, after your guy Whittaker has done such a great job all season building a rhythm for this offense? Namely a top 5 guy in the nation at his position, that you swear has a chance to take over the duties again next season. Have there been complaints about that decision and do you feel in any way like the switch had anything to do with the loss in terms of chemistry? Lastly, how do you rationalize this loss to your guys for this season and next, as it seems that now that your Bowl hopes are all but vanquished?

I mean I realize that IF you win the final 2 games you MIGHT get into a meaningless Bowl game, but this seems like the kind of loss that more often than not, completely ends the season for a team, if from nothing more than a confidence and effort standpoint."

2. Jax351

Jax351 Walk On

Coach Jax (Question 1/QB) - "That is a great question and one that has been on my mind all week. Whittaker has done a great job filling in for Gabbert all year and really had some great games for us. Going into this season, the primary focus for our team was to take care of the football... Don't give the game away... This was the one area that Whittaker has struggled in all season. (12 Int and 2 Fum) Whit is a great kid and understood his role while Gabby was down... When he was told about the switch this week going into this big game he told me "This is Gabby's team coach. I understand the move and am behind you." That shows real class from such a young kid in such a big game. We have 3 QB's on this team that are all extremely talented... It is going to be interesting..."

Coach Jax (Question 2/Loss) - "Look... It's never easy to lose. Did this one sting even more? Sure it did.. This has been a transition year for us. We introduced a brand new Offensive Scheme and that is no easy task. Our kids have fought hard every week and almost walked away with two HUGE upsets... The key is almost... We have to get better on Defense in those 4th quarter lead situations... Its never an easy job deciding on whether to play passive or aggressive in those late game situations.. We just need to do the opposite of what we have done... The Defensive coordinator and I will be spending a lot of time looking through the game film to ensure this doesn't happen again."

Thank you.

3. Jayrah

Jayrah AllCougdUp.com Editor - A.M. avatar Guru

A classy answer from a classy coach. I especially like the subtle ignorance of the controversial question.

4. Jax351

Jax351 Walk On

Sad thing is... In Gabberts second game back he re-injured his ribs and is now back out... :(