Coaching Carousal...

Discussion in 'The Deuce' started by OMlawdog, Jul 18, 2011.

1. OMlawdog

OMlawdog Going full Cheeze

Are we going to come up with any restrictions on the carousal? Im assuming we can only take jobs in the Big 10 and Pac 12.

Im also assuming we wont limit whether they take HC or coordinator positions.

The only question really left to be answered is how long do they stay? Frisk got offered the Northern Illinois OC gig after one year. If he had taken that, how long does he have to stay there?

That is a 3 star program, and he could be one year away from being offered a really good job at a 4 star program.

I like the way the lower tier programs are starting out. Its kind of fun, but Im worried its only going to last one or two seasons.

Thoughts from anyone who's first name doesn't start with K and end with eller.

2. Keller

Keller The enemy of my enemy is my friend.

First of all screw you, lol. Second, why don't my thoughts on this matter?

3. theSANDMAN215

theSANDMAN215 Hokie, Hokie, Hokie, HI

I would think we should limit it to you can only take a job in the BIG 10 / PAC 10 or in C-USA / MAC. I know it sort of limits your choices, but it keeps the battles continuing. I'd rather not have 12 guys in 5 different conferences.

4. theSANDMAN215

New guy, pipe down.

5. Keller

Lol - I get hated on because I have too much to say.

Guess I need to ghost mode this bish

6. OMlawdog

Im assuming that is a given. I certainly don't want someone going to a conference that we aren't all trying to get to. BBJ is probably the only guy that would like to go to a conference all on his own, so this shouldn't be a problem.

My concern is that if Frisk is getting NW OC job offered to him year 1, that after year 2, what if he gets the Michigan OC job, or Illinois, or Iowa? That could be a pretty quick progression.

7. OMlawdog

For a guy without internet access, you sure do post on the internet a lot.

My thought is that until you accept an invite to the league, you are still just a potential member of the deuce. I got Bruce's number on freaking speed dial if you don't pipe down rook.

8. theSANDMAN215

I'm not really sure. We all seem to have different contracts. For instance, at Akron my contract is only for one year. Some have 3 and 4 year contracts right now.

I would say, if he gets the Michigan OC job after year 2, then it's his to grab. We just have to make sure each division only has 3 users and each conference only has 6 users.

So, as long as there is an opening in the BIG 10/12, PAC 12, MAC, C-USA, then I have no problem with him taking a job.

Where it would be limited is say I want to go to a school in the BIG 10, but the division already has 3 teams, then I'm out of luck, unless one of the users changes teams. It'll be tricky for the last guy, but I don't know of any other way for it to work.

I put Nebraska as my alma-mater, but I don't know how much that matters or not if I can't win at Akron.

9. Drifterbub

Drifterbub Help me hide a body?

Featured Threads:
    Yeah, how long you stay at a job is a tricky one. Realistically it could happen where you are only at a school for a year, but that would make you a major douche. I don't think anyone would hate you too bad if you only stayed at a MAC school for a year. But if you jump from a team in the BCS conferences to another team only after one year, that would be a major dick move.

I'm trying to think of a way to equally quantify a once in a lifetime offer that would warrant moving after only 1 season. Perhaps your alma mater? or if the prestige of the offering school is at least two stars higher than your current team? Otherwise, I think the minimum should be three years (or two if that is the length of your contract). I still think that even might be too short, but we are working within the parameters of CC, and it seems to think that 2-3 seasons is a long time.

10. theSANDMAN215

I'm sure Bruce has your number as well.

11. Timpegoose

Timpegoose Walk On

My thought would be that you have to stay until your contract expires once you take a new job. Say Frisk got offered a 3 year contract at Northwestern, he would have to wait until that is up or he gets fired before he moves on to the next job. Normally you don't see coaches at 3 different schools in 4 years in real life unless your name is Lane Kiffin, so I think we should try to mirror that as closely as possible.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Keller

I'm at work - if you all want Bruce, be my guest.

13. theSANDMAN215

I agree. I don't think you can change the years on the contract can you? My goal is to get to Nebraska, but if someone beats me there then I'll just stick it out with another school.

14. theSANDMAN215

Our off-season night would take a week then.

15. Keller

Well at least I have something working in my favor then.

I like Timpe's suggestion

16. Drifterbub

Featured Threads:
    Also, do we differentiate the difference between head coaches and coordinators? Coordinators tend to move around a LOT more than head coaches.

17. OMlawdog

I guess my concern is that in 4 years all of us will be at really good programs and once again the CPU games will be a joke. As much as I hated getting gang raped like Andy in the laundry room without the broom by freaking Middle Tennessee State, it was damn competitive as opposed to trying to figure out how not to score in the 3rd quarter.

My initial thought is that moving to a coordinator positions should offer you some flexibility, but a HC gig should be a 4-5 year gig. Coaches rarely get canned after 3 years, and unless your name is Kiffin or Petrino, they stay longer than 3 years too. Plus after year 4, coaches may want to stay as opposed to want to leave.

Still don't have a concrete opinion on this.

Also, what is the plan if a coach is fired? My initial thought is you let him leave the dynasty and come back in as the coach of the same team if he wants, or he can upgrade to another team in the same conference as long as its not a big jump.

I have a feeling several coaches will be on the extreme hot seat. In fact, one of the coaches has a Simpson's character as his avatar.

18. Keller

My vote would be no - allows you to progress too quickly for my taste.

19. Drifterbub

Featured Threads:
    I tend to agree with your thought on this, OM.

20. Drifterbub

Featured Threads:
    Again, you might not ever be offered another HC job. They all may be coordinator positions.

So you are going to have to think about how you are going to deal with that.

21. Keller

Thats a good point - what do we do if someone gets fired? I have no idea.

22. Jmustang1968

Jmustang1968 Walk On

Its not like the job requirements for you are all that tough...

and watch out, keller is sensitive. poor guy

23. OMlawdog

Talk about choices?

Random new guy that doesn't have internet, that is already bitching about gameplans, who probably will kick my ass with Buffalo, and apparently is dating a former American Gladiator, or Bruce?

Ah fuck it, damn glad to have you.

24. Keller

Never? That can't be right.

My interpretation of it, leading up to the games release, was that you could take the OC/DC position in hopes of working your way into the HC position. Based on what I've seen in offline CC, OC/DC's get hired as HC at the same school fairly often.

So potentially we're talking about a jump to a better school then a jump to HC whenever that coach is fired/leaves the way I see it

25. Drifterbub

Featured Threads:
    We will have to deal with someone getting fired on a case-by-case basis. From my test runs with CC, that coach usually gets an offer at a lesser program or coordinator position.

We can always slide them in as a coordinator or something in the MAC/C-USA and let them work their way back up. Sort of like drawing 'Go back to JAIL' card in monopoly.