Coaching - Real Life

Discussion in 'The Cheap Seats' started by Shaun Mason, Jun 14, 2011.

1. Shaun Mason

Shaun Mason Somebody you used to know.

Featured Threads:
    I know quite a few guys on here coach at some level, especially with there kids. I thought I would start a thread so you guys can share your stories and accomplishments. Some of you know that I have 4 kids, 3 of which are my step-children. The youngest boy is 8 and he is in what we call here 2nd farm Little League. It is 6,7 and 8 year old co-ed coach pitch.

We started in the league three years ago...I was fortunate to have Nathan be drafted by the Dodgers. The two guys who had planned on coaching had about 45 years of coaching experience between them. One is a local Little League legend who has 30 years of baseball coaching experience, many of them in Little League. The other played for him and is now a youth soccer, youth baseball and the local high school girls basketball head coach. I played sports growing up, but I pretty quickly became aware that although I am a smart fan, I really didn't know as much as I thought I did about baseball. Luckily, I have had three great years as an assistant coach and I have managed to learn from the best.

Anyway, our first season we played 20 games and went 15-5, losing in the second round of the year end tournament. Last year, we played 20 games again, and went 16-4, ending up in the championship, where we needed to beat an undefeated team twice (double elimination and we had a loss). We managed to beat them the first game, but they beat us in a close game in the doubleheader, so we ended up as runnerup.

This year I knew early on that we had a pretty special team. They shortened the regular season to 10 games and we managed to roll out to a 8-0 start. We came out in the 9th game and played the Rockies, who we beat in the opening game. We played flat and they ended up beating us 7-5. We ended up 9-1 in the regular season and tied for the league championship. We started the tourney this week and knocked off the two best teams in the league (besides us) to get to the championship game against the Rockies again. It was a pretty masterful Little League game full of great defense and we managed to win 2-0 to bring home the championship. It is really incredible to see this age group turn double plays and pick off runners on relays from the outfield.

Afterward, the head coach told everyone this was his last year coaching. Nathan and I will move up next year and I hope I get to help coach again. If you have never done it, coaching is a very rewarding thing to do. We are putting together a travelling all star team, so I will get to help coach that for the next couple months.

Here is a picture of us today holding up our trophies for the local paper:

251250_1909795906063_1276808176_32011100_2455635_n.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  2. Wick36

Wick36 Welcome to the Jungle

Sucks that they cut the season in half.

3. Shaun Mason

Shaun Mason Somebody you used to know.

Featured Threads:
    The weather is so crazy here in the spring...

4. Drifterbub

Drifterbub Help me hide a body?

Featured Threads:
  5. Emmdotfrisk

Emmdotfrisk Working half days on my days off.

Great team name, jerseys, hats, colors...... Alll of it

6. HackGolfer

HackGolfer Administrator

Lol. Get out of here homer!

7. Hellisan

Hellisan Schemin 'em up

Congrats Shaun. That's awesome.

Hey random fact. Before you ever posted much about yourself I just assumed you looked like the flying tomato because of the spelling of your first name.

8. LB Fitted

LB Fitted Walk On

i coached hs basketball for 3 yrs...2 on the jv level and assistant as var both those yrs...and 1 yr freshman. I loved it to death! it was awesome! i would practice with my team, and it was no better reward then watching a player take what you taught them, struggle with it, then get it down and use it in a game! def had the issues with parents which was annoying...but overall it was great...wish i could get back into it!

9. Timpegoose

Timpegoose Walk On

I've been an assistant coach for my little brother's club soccer team for the last 6 years. They are definitely an interesting bunch of kids. Basically there are 2 divisions in each age group, and we have bounced back and forth between the 2 each year I have coached. We have finished top 2 in the bottom division each year, and bottom 2 in the first division. The most rewarding thing by far though has been to see them grow over the 6 years I have coached them. I started with them when they were U-8 and could barely even pass or dribble the ball, and now they are able to pass the ball around fairly well and have learned some of the nuances of the game. Most of them will be going into high school next year and I am very excited to see how some of them do with a full group of kids that know how to play the game, instead of only about 6 or 7 of them.