Coach's Corner Season 4

Discussion in 'The Experience' started by JCspartan2, Nov 17, 2011.

1. JCspartan2

JCspartan2 Sparty Party

Through the early stages of the season, how do you feel about your team and the results so far around the league?

2. GoGators

GoGators GT: KSherm

Sitting at 2-2 isn't exactly where I'd like to be at this point in the season. The Northwestern schedule usually gets really difficult at about the midway point so over the past 3 years getting off to a fast start and getting 6 wins ASAP has been a huge factor in getting to a bowl game. I usually end up playing 500 ball the second half of the season.

This season so far has been rough. Giving up the win to GT really hurts. Also, taking the sim loss to Washington wasn't pleasant, but what can ya do? Thankfully the boys bounced back and got a big sim win against Tennessee last week. Hanging on this week against Nebraska is huge. Losing that game could of cost me my job!!!

As for gameplay, I'm not doing a great job getting my playmakers the ball so far. I have the talent at some key spots to have a pretty explosive offense if I can figure out how to get QB Doucette, HB Williams, WR Smith, & TE Rome the ball more. Unfortunately I haven't been a great play caller this season. If I can get this thing clicking though I think this squad could put up some points.

On defense, it's a mess still. Some guys can make plays. I have a 6'7" SS who is an absolute monster! The CBs have stepped up big time so far and came up with some takeaways, if they'd only be more consistent. The front 7 is doing their best, but with the running attacks they've seen it's been rough. It won't get much easier either as we go on to face the B1G conference schedule.

I'm still impressed with Wisconsin. Their front 5 continues to make mince meat out of opposing defenses even with all the talent that has graduated. I'm also glad to see some other teams struggling a bit....especially in Arizona :)

Hopefully this will turn out to be a good season. This season is the first official season where the building process at NU begins. The players and depth have been recruited. They're extremely young though so now it's time for them to grow up and start making plays.

Go Cats Go!

• Like Like x 1
  3. JCspartan2

JCspartan2 Sparty Party

Michigan State Top Performers through 3 games:

QB Connor Cook 22/36 365 yards 5 TDs 2 INTs
    QB Alex Lindsay 7/17 136 Yards 1 TD 1 INT 15 Carries 110 Yards 2 TDs

HB Nick Hill 55 Carries 316 Yards 2 TDs

WR Keith Mumphrey 9 Catches 238 Yards 3 TDs 14 Carries 108 Yards 2 TDs

On defense there really hasn't been any standout players, just all around solid play.

I am completely shocked that I'm sitting at 3-0 right now, and I'm lucky to be there. I expected to lose at least one of the two user games against Arizona or Stanford, but pulled both of them out. The Arizona game was close but I lead the entire way. Against Stanford, it took a miracle play after my throwing QB went out for the game.

The reason for the success thus far is hard to pinpoint, but I think it all centers around Keith Mumphrey. The guy is a play maker and in each user game as soon as he has made a big play he's drawn attention off other guys and allowed them to succeed. Mumphrey has lined up all over the field and is able to produce at each position. Credit has to go to the o-coordinator for designing the offense to make use of his biggest weapon. The change has been slow but it's been effective, especially in the early stages against Stanford. The team has yet to face an early deficit yet, however, so we'll see how the offense does under pressure.

The early success is nice but I don't see us beating Wisconsin this year with the lack of talent up front on either side of the ball. Everyone else should be beatable, and hell maybe I'll get the "perfect storm" against Wisconsin.

Stanford is going to have success this season, that team is very strong on defense and up front. The Arizona-Stanford game should be fun. High powered offense vs stout defense.

4. dakota7

dakota7 Former Blue Chip Recruit

The defending champs are fast out of the gate. Our offense has been fantastic and after 3 games the Badgers lead the nation in yards from scrimmage. The new starters along the offensive line have stepped up and that does not bode well for the rest of the B1G, as 3 of these guys are only sophomores. HB Melvin Gordon continues to amaze, he currently leads the nation in rushing yardage and is an early front runner for the Heisman trophy. On the defensive side of the ball, 7 new starters have not missed a beat. This unit is fast and aggressive. We'll see how they respond to B1G play.

5. jello1717

jello1717 "Those who stay will be champions." -- Bo

These are very dark days in Tempe. The team is very weak (2nd worst user team in the league) and will take some time to develop. On top of that, we probably have the toughest early schedule of everyone. In our 1st 5 games we have to play 4 straight users, 3 of whom are/were in the top 10. As if this weren't bad enough, from week 4 to week 11 we only have 1 home game (a user game) which has the potential to completely destroy our recruiting this year (our first and probably only as a 6* school).

Recruiting is not going well at all as we haven't signed anyone yet and are only in 1st place for 4 guys on our board. If they don't become ready for a visit in the next 2 weeks, I'll likely lose them since the next available time will be in week 11.

On the field, we've played like dog crap so far. We've been incapable of moving the ball, and Mike Eubanks, the most accurate QB I'll ever have who entered the season with 29 TD passes to only 7 INTs, has thrown for 4/4 so far this year. We haven't been able to run the option well as Eubanks has -53 yards rushing and true FR QB Robbie Thomas has only gained 4 yards on 18 carries. If you ignore the 45 and 67 yard big runs by HB Washington, we as a team have gained 45 yards on 62 carries (0.7 YPC). While my defense can't stop anyone, they're at least racking up the tackles since they're unable to get off the field. True FR SS Tom Lambert, OLB transfer Christian French, JUCO transfer MLB Nick Banks, and DT Mo Latu have all played brilliantly on defense thus far. While it sucks to be in a situation where you need your defense to carry your weak offense, ASU is in the unenviable possible where they need their defense to carry their weak offense, but the offense needs to carry their weak defense.

I foresee a whole lot of losses for the Devils this year.

6. GoGators

We get it....second worst user team in the league....now you can save 30 seconds and refrain from retyping this again until next season :)

So what's your hypothesis of Eubanks' regression? Poor OL play? Lack of talent at the WR spots? It's funny how much stuff goes into your QB's performance in this game.

Also, what's up with the rushing game? How come it's so poor?

7. jello1717

Well, for starters, I have the 2nd worst user team in the league.

(and since it didn't take me 30 seconds to type that, I'll reiterate: )

I have the 2nd worst user team in the league.

Eubanks' lack of rushing yards is simply due to me not running him as much this year (he has 13 carries, 10 of which are sacks). He hasn't run much partly because I can't run the option well against users and partly because my FR gets most of my QB carries (he has 17 actual carries to Eubanks' 3). As for the passing game, I'm not sure what's up with him. He lost his go-to guys from last year (Holliday and TE Wilson caught 55% of his completions). Holliday could also stretch the defense like nobody's business (99 SPD, 99 ACC). Other than them, though, my top 5 WRs this year are easily better than my top 5 from last year (last year I had SR Holliday and 6 FR/SO). Of his 4 picks, 2 were bad decisions, 1 was a hail mary type pass at the half, and 1 was a good decision and good pass, but just a better play by the defender.

The poor OL play is definitely a factor (11 sacks allowed through 3 games) but they sucked last year too (32 sacks allowed). I can't really explain why he's (I'm) having so much trouble passing the ball now, although he's still completing over 67% of his passes, even with 2/3 games being user games. I'm just not able to put it in the endzone. I'd like to explain my poor rushing performance with the fact that I've played Georgia and Arkansas, but against a CPU Miss. St I had a whopping 37 yards on 24 carries which scares me much more than my inability to rush against users. I have no explanation for that as I'm calling the same offense that I ran last year. My HB isn't nearly as explosive as last year's nor even remotely as powerful as my 1st 2 years' back, but he should be perfectly capable. I've got a 96 SPD SO who just hasn't been able to explode like I had hoped he would.

8. GoGators

That's interesting with your sophomore back. Last year my HB Williams was the same way. 98 speed but just not very explosive in space. This year however it's a different story, the guys a beast. Not sure what changed. And my OL is worse this year so it's not that.

9. jello1717

Yeah. I even let him wear #4 as I expected big things from him, but thus far he's been a big disappointment. I may have to take the number back from him if he doesn't perform....

10. Big Suge Knight

Big Suge Knight Walk On

Featured Threads:
    The biggest surprise thus far for the Wolverines has been the play of DE Aaron Anderson who has 7 sacks through the opening three games and was named the B1G Defensive player of the week for the opening two weeks of the season.

QB Michael Turner hit a bit of a sophomore slump to open the season as he tried forcing the ball into double coverage. But in the Notre Dame game he showed good control with his downfield throws. Getting Thomas Rawls, EJ McDonald and JR Watson to support him in the ground game will be big help to him.

My team has some playmakers but I have to stop trying to the force ball and use them correctly. I have to fight the urge to chase points.

11. blLL flo

blLL flo BTFU!

The Bulldogs have jumped out to a fast start in their first 3 games. They survived on the road in OT vs rival Clemson, then beat back to back PAC-12 users vs Arizona State and @ Washington. Now the SEC schedule starts and every game is important if the Dawgs want to get back to Atlanta.

On offense, UGA had a lot of weapons returning to support new QB Brian Murray. However, Murray has come in a performed very well, as the offense has changed a bit to utilize his best abilities. HB Isiah Crowell is having a great senior season and looks to continue to lead this team with the focal point being on the ground game. HB Corey Kimbrough has been great in limited action as we wait for his talent to explode onto the scene. The WR corps has been great. They don't have huge numbers, but they have been sure handed and good play makers when they get their chances.

The defense has been led by the secondary who averages 3 INTs a game. SS Zach Washington and nickel CB Malcolm Mitchell have 3 a piece. The have been helped by a good pass rush with LE Sterling Bailey leading the way with 4 sacks. This unit has been solid and continued to improve through the first 3 games.

The beginning has looked great, but the real season starts in the SEC.

12. jello1717

Wow! I'm looking at the team stats for this season. Last year, you couldn't get my offense off the field as I converted 50% of my 3rd down conversions. This year, I'm sitting @ freaking 34%!!! I wish I knew what was wrong with my offense this year.

LMFAO! In the Pac12, UCLA and Stanford are in 1st with 15 red zone appearances. Dead last? ASU with 5!!! In 4 games, I've gotten into the red zone 5 times!

I'll bet you'll never guess which team's defense has allowed the most red zone appearances in the Pac12 with 14....

13. GoGators

jello1717

I'll go out on a limb and say the second worst user team in the league....

• Like Like x 2
  14. Nautica

Nautica #whatisdrugs?

I would probably put that on the user games you have been playing. Once you get into your stretch of cpu games, I'm sure your stats will go up.

15. jello1717

That's just a lucky guess.

16. jello1717

The Experience Network caught up with coach Jello following his big win over rival Arizona and they talked some football.

(T.E.N.): How were you able to shut down the high flying Wildcat offense?
    (Jello):While I'm not going to give away all of my secrets, we basically threw tons of guys at Wharton while also trying to contain their HB. While their back did get over 100 yards on the ground, he didn't have any big runs which, given his game breaking speed, means that we still did a great job with him.

(T.E.N.): How do you feel your season has gone so far? Has your team lived up to expectations?
    (Jello):My kids have blown away my expectations this year. We're on our way to our 2nd Pac12 CCG in 4 years when I figured we'd finish in 3rd place in our own division. I thought that, given our schedule, a top 25 finish would be very iffy as well.

(T.E.N.): How has your team been able to overachieve?
    (Jello): Defense, defense, defense. Our offense got off to a rough start as we didn't have a solid identity early on. I was splitting time @ QB as I didn't trust the FR to throw the ball while not wanting the JR to run it. Because of that, our offense sputtered early, but it was our defense that kept us in games and allowed us to win while our indecisive head coach finally figured out what needed to be done on offense. After I figured that out, the offense started clicking which took tremendous pressure off of the defense. Our freshman QB Thomas has developed into more than just a capable passer (he has the 2nd best QBR in the Pac12) so now teams must fear both his legs and his arm. You couple that with our stable of runners (we've got 4 guys with 340+ rushing yards and 5 guys with 4+ rushing TDs) and our offense is now on par with our defense.

(T.E.N.): How does the future look for your Devils?
    (Jello):Well, we only lose 9 SRs from this team and we'll return a lot of starters so we should only be getting better. Despite not having any :5stars: signings this year, we've got an excellent class coming in. Unfortunately I wasn't able to land the talent on the O-line that we so desperately need, but on the defensive side of the ball we've got some true studs coming in. We've signed 3 top 12 corners as well as 2 of the top 3 OLBs. These guys will likely see immediate playing time and when combined with the FS and SS we signed the past 2 years, will be a very solid foundation for our rapidly improving D. Add those guys with the young offensive talent already on the team and I'm going to go from being surprised by CCG appearances to expecting them.

• Like Like x 1
  17. JCspartan2

JCspartan2 Sparty Party

Gotta say I'm not happy with my team at this point in the season. The combination of my offensive line and the lack of a QB that can throw the ball team has really limited what I can do offensively. I've had to get very creative to move the ball with all the end-arounds and options. It's fun to have to do that, but I'm having a tough time scoring. I regret red-shirting that freshman QB I got who has 92 throwing power, I could have made much better use of Mumphrey's speed.

What's worse is my defense. My d-line is so bad that teams (especially the CPU) can pretty much have their way with me on the ground. My linebackers are decent but not great and that only compounds the effect. The secondary is good, but not when they have to cover for 5 or 6 seconds on any given play.

Things aren't looking up with the current recruiting class either, could be a rough few years for Sparty...

18. UofCWildcat

UofCWildcat Bear Down!

Congrats on your South title. At least we can say together we make the state of Arizona relevant.

19. Dwreck

Dwreck Walk On

I have to say that I really wish I had this team for the whole year. They are a lot of fun to play with. Maybe it is just the change of pace after playing with a bunch of scrubs on Colorado (in an old league that unfortunately folded) and Idaho. There are going to be many seniors who will be sorely missed and it looks like the talent will drop off a bit next year unless our training staff gets after it or I can land a few :5stars: in the off-season with the 2 schollies I have left. I will be excited if Jerrard Randall comes back at QB. I have never had a truly dual-threat QB and it would be fun to experiment. If not though, his back-up has a wicked arm (98 TP) so that could be fun too.

20. UofCWildcat

UofCWildcat Bear Down!

After not being able to sleep for my 10:30 exam tomorrow i looked back at my team page and realized a disturbing little stat. My record after a loss since my undefeated season? 0-4. After those games though i'm 4-0. So for those of you who play me after i lose, be prepared to win.

21. JCspartan2

JCspartan2 Sparty Party

Took my first final this morning. 100%. Boom.

• Like Like x 1
  22. UofCWildcat

UofCWildcat Bear Down!

Welp took my final and after studying for a good 5 hours i feel like i knew absolutely nothing. Fuck engineering

23. Darkwing

Darkwing One Nation Under God

Ya but then if you switch out of it like I did you'll regret it lol. It's a no-win situation.
    Btw you heard the term enginerd before?

24. UofCWildcat

UofCWildcat Bear Down!

Don't worry. I'm not switching out. I;m probably gonna get kicked out -_-
    and no i have not.

25. blLL flo

blLL flo BTFU!

Hey a lot of people started out engineers and end up somewhere else. I did for one. I took chemistry 3 times and said fuck it!!! I switched to business and enjoyed college much more after that. But if you really want it, keep at it and study that much more.