Coach's Corner: Sitdown with Coach CharlestonUSC

Discussion in 'Thread Archive' started by yankeery25, Jan 26, 2011.

1. yankeery25

yankeery25 Banned

Q: You just took down West Virginia 38-13. They are quite the program. Do you feel this is indicative of your program's progress and future?
    A: I certainly feel it is indicative of what we want to accomplish here and where we're going. Its always good to get a win over a rival and when you do it in convincing fashion the recruits tend to take notice.

Q: You named Jean Claude Van Damme captain before the start of the season. What qualities do you look for in a captain that you found in your QB?
    A: I named our QB, Jean Claude Van Damme, a captain before the year. He hadn't quite caught on to what we were trying to do on offense yet but he showed determination and a discipline within himself to devote as much time to learn those things. He was always one of the first guys to try and mentor younger players and just showed a spark that you love to find in players you wouldn't expect it from.

Q: Syracuse is currently winning the Big East. It's still early, but do you think your program can stave off the big boys like Rutgers?
    A: We set some goals during the off-season. We kept them to ourselves and I actually let the cat out of the bag a few weeks ago about what they were. We want to earn a bowl invite, win that bowl game and finish in the top 3 of the Big East. Anything more than that is just extra at this point. I'm not here to use Syracuse as a stepping stone to another bigger better job. I'm here to rebuild a strong foundation and steadily raise the expectations of Syracuse alumni and faithful.

Q: Realistically, what are your chances of a BCS Bowl?
    A: You would have to ask someone else about that. Right now I'm focused on preparing our team to face Rutgers next week. When I was an assistant in the SEC I learned to focus on what you can control, and what I can control right now is how I prep for Rutgers next week. The coach down there has done an excellent job of turning the program around and building success. That's what we hope to do over time here at Syracuse.

Q: Which team scares you the most in the conference?
    A: We're not scared of anyone in this league. We realize there are going to be obstacles to overcome and we realize we're not going to be favored to win every game. But make no mistake we are not scared to lace up and play anyone out on that field.

Q: Which student-athlete not on your football team do you admire most?
    A: Well after watching that QB down at Rutgers play and manage the way he has I guess I'd put him at the top of the list. He is a great athlete and a sound decision maker. But I'd still take our QB over him (smiles)

Q: While you have maintained stability at your program, other coaches have failed and been replaced. What do you think of the coaching change at USF? Can the option offense make it in the Big East?
    A:I think the option offense can make it anywhere. Quite a few years ago many people believed the option couldn't work in a BCS conference. Then Paul Johnson took over at Georgia Tech and proved everyone wrong. It all comes down to recruiting quality players, on and off the field, and executing properly. I believe the new coach down there is bringing some new excitement to the conference and I like that. The Big East isn't like the SEC or Big 10 in the aspect of everyone hating each other. Of course we all want to win the conference title but we all realize the better every one does the better the conference looks. With the talent overflow down in Florida I expect their new coach to have that system up and running in no time.

Q: Do you see your MLB, Jason Wells, who has been dismissed from the team ever returning?
    A: I don't like to discuss legal matters that involve academic infractions. What I will say is that Syracuse University is interested in molding and guiding these young boys into responsible men. We all want to win championships but we're going to do it the right way and we're certainly not going to tolerate any violations against our student and athletic code.

[​IMG]

by Bobby Leyendev

Thank you for the interview, @CharlestonUSC .

What do you all think? @fuzzyl0gic @gowazzucougs @MaslerBoros16 @Jman @sibellius @broth262 @Bl0ndeRedhead @gwill @Lobster Killah

• Like Like x 1
  2. Bl0ndeRedHead

Bl0ndeRedHead Official TSO Pothead

Good interview...you got them chops son

• Like Like x 1
  3. yankeery25

yankeery25 Banned

thanks bro

4. fuzzyl0gic

fuzzyl0gic No new friends

Agreed, thanks for doing this without me having having to ask you guys. Good on you.

• Like Like x 1
  5. yankeery25

yankeery25 Banned

i appreciate it :)