COD: Modern Warfare 3 to have monthly subscription.

Discussion in 'The Cheap Seats' started by Shaun Mason, May 31, 2011.

1. Shaun Mason

Shaun Mason Somebody you used to know.

Featured Threads:
  2. Dru50

Dru50 Still Chicago's #1 son

You had to figure this was coming with the success rate of those games and how many people play online. It will be interesting to see how many guys are willing to pony up a monthly fee in addition to the costs of new map packs periodically - I'm assuming that access to the new map packs would be limited to those who subscribe to this additional monthly service since they don't really have much else in the way of additional content they could offer for the monthly fee.

3. BDSDIGITAL

BDSDIGITAL One Time for your Mind

I wouldn't do it. But I'm a casual COD / MW player. They have no chance of getting anything extra out of me.

4. Cimmy24

Cimmy24 Candy Ass Self

Fack that

5. Keller

Keller The enemy of my enemy is my friend.

Check your guys' info on the subscription service - strictly online play won't be affected. The service is for stuff that goes above and beyond just playing online with your friends.

6. Wick36

Wick36 Welcome to the Jungle

I would image that you'd get to DL the stuff w/o an additional charge, but maybe my reading comprehension is failing me.

===

I feel like this is another instance of Bobby Kotich douchebaggery.

7. Cimmy24

Cimmy24 Candy Ass Self

You will have guys do it....the real hardcore COD gamers...I probably won't...maybe one month just to see how it works, but not hardcore. There will be a good profit for Activision from it tho...if you have guys spending $120 to buy the game and a RC car or "night vision" goggles, you will get guys to do this.

8. Kasper

Kasper The Ghost Himself

If its <$5 a month I'll probably pony up for it. This is really going to push me into BF3 though I have to say.

9. Cimmy24

Cimmy24 Candy Ass Self

Like Keller said...this is just a monthly payment for another feature...the basic online play will still be the same.

10. Kasper

Kasper The Ghost Himself

Right I know, its basically what EA is doing with the dynasty wire stuff online.

11. Keller

BF3 will be king!

• Like Like x 1
  12. Hova

Hova Live Action. YiYiYi!

Men lie, Women lie, NUMBERS DONT

13. Keller

Sure I may be a bit optimistic but I do think BF3 will be the better game. Whether the masses respond to that, well, that remains to be seen. CoD, numbers wise, will be a tough game to outsell - if only because of the name.

14. FacePlant City

FacePlant City FacePlant City

Ahahahahaha. They called COD "hyper-realistic."

15. Shaun Mason

Shaun Mason Somebody you used to know.

Featured Threads:
    That is funny.

16. Hellisan

Hellisan Schemin 'em up

I think they mean the campaign mode and some of the basic "look/hear" aspects of the game such as the effects when you take mortar or grenade fire, etc. For instance I've heard that for certain veterans with post-traumatic stress, they can't play these games because it "takes them back"

I definitely hope they're not referring to multiplayer :D

17. FacePlant City

FacePlant City FacePlant City

Good point. They probably aren't talking about multiplayer. If they were, I would be a sad man.

18. JerzeyReign

JerzeyReign #BeatOhio

I wish I was on a site with Activision developers because their best bet (and cost effective method) would be to just release a 'Call of Duty Online' disc. This will give the user access to just multiplayer but add every map they've ever had in the series. Every so often come up with a 10-20 dollar map pack with updated maps and call it a day. For guys who play on and offline, just make a game with the 'newest maps' along with single player mode and charge them a fee for all the extra maps.

I don't play games offline and have no interest in single player mode. I only buy the newest CoD for new maps.

And from that article, it seems that they will charge for something they already do like tell you which weapons you are successful with and where you hit them. I'm sure their are more things they will offer but just that won't get too many bites.

• Like Like x 3
  19. Cimmy24

Cimmy24 Candy Ass Self

Damn Jerz, that is actually a pretty good idea brotha. I'd support it. +1

20. Randiesel75

Randiesel75 Walk On

...and sheep follow. If you think the better game is depicted by numbers, your just another sheep. To each their own. Nevertheless, I love ignorant comments, like this.

21. a Robbed Lung

a Robbed Lung Legendary Veterans

no thank you haha, i'm fine with the maps that come with the game. When BF3 comes out, i'll jus jump ship.

22. U824942

U824942 Walk On

The rest of the industry is looking to see if the monthly subscription is a success. CNBC ran a feature about the monetization of online play about 5 months ago and one of the main topics was the fee for online play for COD. If memory serves, the article stated that around 7 million players were online daily (I assume that counts consoles and PC's) and EA stated if they could get 10% - 15% of that market at $7.99, they would see an incremental increase in revenue of $5.5 million to $8.4 million. [I think the $7.99 is for extra content - there will still be a free to play option] And you know they will put some weapons / features / perks in the pay for play that will unbalance multiplayer, making even more people pony up the $7.99. It is a modified microtransaction structure. Lots of other companies with on-line games are looking to see how successful this will be, so don't buy the extra content in COD if don't want to see this on other popular multiplayer games.

23. 1ke

1ke D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.

Damn Randy, comin strong huh? Lol, Dont worry, I agree. I piss on anything CoD related as its a shit game for kiddys. You know where to find me this fall. And that will be in the Tanks raping and pillaging on Rush!

24. Randiesel75

Randiesel75 Walk On

I'll drive, you cover the sides.

25. Keller

360 or PC Randy?