College basketball

Discussion in 'The Dirty Dozen' started by Full Moon Fever, Nov 4, 2011.

1. Full Moon Fever

Full Moon Fever Champion of Standards

hammerhead1010, what are your thoughts on Billy Gillespie? He's turned poor programs into winners, but couldn't take an established program to success. He's Tech's head coach now, and our bball program has been crap ever since Bob Knight took us to the sweet 16.

2. hammerhead1010

hammerhead1010 Walk On

Ya know, no disrespect to tech or Gillespie there, but I think that's what he excels at. He is a hard nosed coach and proven winner. He gets the most out of his teams and beats teams by being tougher and working harder than the opponent. I honestly just think Kentucky was too much for him (and it can be for many coaches). I think he kind of got that rockstar status keys to the town a UK coach typically gets and let it get to his head and affect his performance (and sanity) a little. Gillespie is a hard headed set in his ways coach, which is good (because he has had very noticeable success before), and he gets the most out of his players, but something changed him here and he did some pretty off the wall stuff. He also had some well documented alcohol problems which I (as well as many) suspect played a roll in his departure from here. From what I understand though he has put that behind him and no longer drinks (but I could be mistaken).

I hope it was just some of the pressure on him because he has been successful at previous stops but I think he will be a great fit at Tech and I think you will see some improvements sooner rather than later (even though I know very little about Tech basketball as it currently stands). Also, he knows the Texas landscape extremely well and still should have the majority of his recruiting ties and whatnot down there which has to be a plus right away.

3. Steamer43

Steamer43 Cleveland Steamer

Fresno State hired Texas's Rick Barnes's right hand man Rodney Terry. Terry was the lead recruiter for so many Longhorns that have went pro the last nine years. Its his first head coaching job but he looks promising. He's already grabbed a commit that was not cleared for a scholarship at Kansas. We've got a local 4 star 7 footer that has us in his final four teams as well. We've been waiting for a team worthy of packing the 15.6 K house that Jerry Tarkanian built.

4. DirtycashDylan

DirtycashDylan I came here to scheme and chew bubblegum...

I miss Kelvin Sampson, that guy knew how to win.

5. DirtycashDylan

DirtycashDylan I came here to scheme and chew bubblegum...

I'll give you a hint that maybe you can pass on to the Fresno admins: Don't hire a Texas assistant based on how well he recruited.

6. nikpin

nikpin Universitas Brunensis

/Use his cell phone.

7. hammerhead1010

hammerhead1010 Walk On

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1