College Football 2009 Talk.

Discussion in 'The Cheap Seats' started by jmillhimes, Jul 7, 2009.

1. jmillhimes

jmillhimes Walk On

College Football 2009 Talk.

I'm getting bored here at work. I have been counting the days down to kickoff 2009. Was wanting to get some chatter started about the new season. I would like to start by getting everyone's opinion on who the surprise teams of this year will be. Give me your top Three teams that will overachieve and the top three that will underachieve.

Overachievers

1) Texas A&M - Solid QB in Johnson coming back. They have pushed away from the running attack and are now throwing the ball again. There defense is not the "Line Backer U" it once was but shows promise. Maybe a Top 25 team.

2) Georgia Tech - Johnson's crew looks great. They have there star Halfback returning and with a solid year of the triple offense behind them, they look to challenge for an ACC Championship

3) Baylor - With an improving QB and a coach who has a reputation of great recruiting, this team is on the line for breaking its 15 year bowl absence.

UnderAchievers

1) Boston College -Their coach got canned in a tiff with the athletic director. Their assumed quarterback got suspended, then transferred. Their top two defensive linemen from 2008 were high draft picks. Their best linebacker, maybe the country's best linebacker, is fighting cancer. A first-to-worst fall is in play for BC

2) Missouri Tigers- Lets see...They lost QB Chase Daniel, WR Jeremy Maclin, TE Chase Coffman and 22 seniors. The Tigers had serious issues on defense even when the offense was humming along at 40 points a game. What's going to happend with a new QB?

3) Texas Tech - Tech lost too much to contend once again in a South Division that might be better than it was a year ago. The Red Raiders lose the bulk of their offensive line, their two best defensive backs, a Heisman-worthy quarterback and a Heisman-worthy receiver. And Tech has road games at Texas, Oklahoma State and Nebraska, plus improving Baylor and Houston. Throw in a visit from Oklahoma.

2. Archie Griffin

Archie Griffin Walk On

I'd add Southern Miss to the over-achievers. I think they'll be a big surprise, win the C-USA, and maybe run the table - maybe.

I think GT is expected to do well. To overachieve for them is to win the ACC and challenge for it all. A BCS bowl, though, should be a reachable goal. Tough schedule, though.

A&M will be up. Hard to go down from last year.

I'd take TTech off the underachievers list. I think TTech players will, as they always have (well, mostly have), underperform at the next level, but I think that's a plug-and-play system down there. They'll score and compete. They won't do what they did last year, but they won't drop off as much as people think.

BC will plummet, as will Mizzou.

3. Drifterbub

Drifterbub Help me hide a body?

Featured Threads:
    A&M will be better this year, but may not see a whole lot of improvement until next season. 40% of our scholarshiped players are true or redshirt freshmen who have never seen a snap on the field and 70% of our scholarship players are underclassmen. I'm not expecting us to creep near the top 25 unless we can step up and take some W's in conference play. I'm more excited about the class Sherman is building this year, though.

Texas Tech will not be as good as last year. Like always they will beat someone they are not supposed to and lose to someone they were supposed to beat.

Baylor will be A LOT better this year. All the pieces of the puzzle are starting to fall and if they can play defense, they will end their scary long bowl drought. Their recruiting class this year is good already and if they can land a few more guys that they are targeting could be a top 20 class.

Oklahoma State will also be dangerous.

4. MorsDraconis

MorsDraconis Walk On

Cincy - They will go from top of the Big East to middle of the pack, at best.

Va Tech - They have one of the hardest schedules in the country, if not THE hardest schedule. I don't seem them breaking .500 this season.

WVU - They have a VERY good chance of going undefeated this season with a Big East that's falling back into mediocrity once again. Away game at Auburn, the Backyard Brawl, and USF are probably the only games that will truly give WVU any trouble this season (semi-homer talk...)

5. jmillhimes

jmillhimes Walk On

I was surprised the Virginia Cav's didnt fire Al Groh yet. I know he let his son go but this team has really taken a turn for the worse

6. jmillhimes

jmillhimes Walk On

Im thinking GT has a great shot at the ACC this year.

As for Tech, they will score but I dont think they will be the scoring machine we have seen in the past. I could be wrong but this maybe an Indy bowl team.

Southern Miss may run the table. Hopefully, UH will step up.

7. JOEDESIGNS

JOEDESIGNS Walk On

FSU - Miami is labor day, always tough, USF is week three and they will come ready to play. If we can stop the triple option we destroy GT. We lose to UF and possibly North Carolina, FSU sucks on thursday nights. We win the ACC and the Orange Bowl. Go Noles. :D

8. jmillhimes

jmillhimes Walk On

"IF"...LOL. FSU Will lose 2 games this year. You will lose to GT and UF. I think you can get by NC.

9. GoGators

GoGators GT: KSherm

Mbwaahahaha!!! (evil laugh)

The biggest problem with being in Gainesville during football season and going to all the games, you don't get the chance to keep up with the rest of the college football country. With that said, my picks are these:

Georgia Tech shouldn't surprise, everyone's on the look out for them. They've got some of the recruits they want in place, they're young, and they were dangerous last year. Only surprise, IMO, is winning a BCS Bowl after getting waxed by LSU last year. If the QB (his name escapes me right now can throw it) they should be real good.

Michigan St. - From what I've heard, they've landed some good recruits and are headed in the right direction. With another weak year for U of M, I hope they can at least be in contention at mid October.

Another Big 10 team is Illinois. Maybe they recapture some of the magic when Juice was a sophomore and beat the Buckeyes again.

Out west:
    Oreg St. Their little mighty mouse at running back probably won't surprise USC again but they might do damage elsewhere.

UCLA - Neuheisel should upset at least a couple teams this year.

Down South:
    SEC
    Obviously, everyone knows about UF, LSU, Ole Miss, Bama etc. The team I think may be a big surprise is Arkansas. With potentially the strongest arm in the nation taking over, Ryan Mallet could shake up the SEC. Tough to play defense against teams that are fast and can stretch the field 60 -70 yds per play.

BCS Buster
    Boise St. or TCU

Kellen Moore's a year older and a year wiser. If he avoids the sophomore slump, it could be interesting.

TCU is in the top 25 preseason so not a huge surprise.

10. jmillhimes

jmillhimes Walk On

I think the Pac-10 could be won by either Oregon St or USC.

Boise St and TCU are always questioned because of there confrences. I really wish they would let them play atleast 1 or 2 Top 25 team each year. TCU should be matched up with Either Texas, A&M, or Baylor.

GO Hawaii

11. GoGators

GoGators GT: KSherm

I wish that TCU, Boise St, or Utah would join the pac 10 and get 12 teams out there. Obviously it'd be more logical for Boise and Utah.

12. Cimmy24

Cimmy24 Candy Ass Self

I'm gonna go on the Homer Train here and pump up my Nittany Lions. I think we may end up very much like we did last year or better. Our schedule is weak and we have a good offense and solid D. Daryll Clark and Evan Royster are back and could...possibly...be in Heisman talks. Our WR core that is coming in to replace the Trifecta we had last year is solid from what I have seen. The only place I see us being vulnerable is in our defensive secondary. That Cover 2 isn't going to work in a bowl game...proven by Dirty Sanchez. Our schedule just Screams "RUN THE TABLE!" With only 4 away games (@ Illini, UM, Mich St, and NW) and 8 home games, only 2 of which as a season ticket holder for that student section I look forward to (Akron, Syracuse, Temple, IOWA, Eastern Illinois, Minnesota, OHIO STATE, and Indiana)....we can't expect much less than Big10 Champs and BCS Bowl Berth...

13. jmillhimes

jmillhimes Walk On

I grew up near" Happy Valley". The last game I ever went to was back in the day when Kerry Collins and Carter were the main offensive weapons. I must say I was pleased with Penn St's performance last year. However, I wont go as far as to say they will once again be Big 10 champs. Ohio St has come along ways. Michigan St could also be a thorn.
    Im cheering for them but Im not sure about a confrence championship

14. BDSDIGITAL

BDSDIGITAL One Time for your Mind

Boise St. should be in the Pac 10. They are so much better than anyone in the WAC, and would probably contend in the PAC 10 right now.

If the NCAA would stop screwing around and get Boise and Fresno St. (or someone like that) in the PAC 10, ND to the Big 10 and the three other independents plus Marshall to the Big East and make everyone play a conference championship game we'd all be alot better off. I'm just saying.... But then again under that configuration, I'm not so sure that the Mountain West wouldn't be a better conference top to bottom than the big east.

Note: I know it's not really up to the NCAA and they can't mandate it, but they could definitely push certain schools and certain BCS conferences to going that way.

15. Colemanchu

Colemanchu GOAT SPLITTER

Boise St will never join the Pac 10, all they have is football their other sports are crap. If the Pac 10 expanded it would be wise to add Utah and BYU, which are better overall in both academics and athletics, eventhough their secondary sports are much to write home about either.

16. Muttcope

Muttcope 2 Own Goals and Counting

LOL.....cmon if you were to put Boise St into the Pac-10 they wouldn't finish better than 7th. Yes they may have a good year here or there, but what athletes are committing to Boise St. on a regular basis. UCLA was 8th in the Pac-10 last year, and i dont see how Boise St. could finish higher than 7th on a yearly basis.

The Song Girls vs SmurfTurf I know if I was highly recruited 17 year old kid i know where i would go. Just my thoughts, but there's a reason why the BCS only includes the 6 power conferences.

17. BDSDIGITAL

7th? I'd love to hear what 6 teams in the Pac 10 are better than Boise St. There may be 6 BOWL teams in the PAC 10 maybe. USC,Oregon, and Cal will be good, the rest of the conference is average. I'm not a Boise St fan at all, but the PAC 10 isn't nearly as good as poeple like to think.

18. Muttcope

Muttcope 2 Own Goals and Counting

Cal, USC, Oregon St. and UCLA are all much better than Boise St. Arizona I know has been a inconsistent program over the years, but i would still consider them better than Boise St. Oregon is a better team than Boise St., but with the recent roster turnover coming out of Autzen Stadium it makes me wonder if there isn't something bigger going on in Oregon.

So to recap if Boise St were in the Pac -10 this year i would predict them to finish anywhere from 5th - 7th.

CAL
    USC
    UCLA
    Oregon St.
    Arizona
    Oregon
    Boise St.

I will concede that Boise St. could finish as high as 5th, but NOT any higher than that.

19. Archie Griffin

Archie Griffin Walk On

That's just nuts. We're all a bunch of Cowherds around here. Don't listen to that guy. I guarantee he has never actually played a sport. He was just bashing mid-majors again today.

I see the mid-majors much like I see Iowa in the Big 10, or Texas Tech in the Big 12, or Ole Miss in the SEC. Boise, BYU, Utah, Fresno - these are really good programs. They may not be in the running every year, but they get enough guys and coach well enough to compete every few years. And when they have those years, they can beat absolutely anyone.

Utah over Alabama was no fluke. Utah blew their freakin' doors off.
    Boise over Oklahoma was no fluke. It was the greatest game I've ever seen.
    Stanford (a 40-point dog) beats USC at home. Also not a fluke.

Individual talent does not equal wins, it just makes them attainable with less effort. USC is the poster-team for lack or effort, so they take losses and scares against teams they should blow out. Outwork a more talented team, and you can beat them. The talent level needs to be in the ballpark, but the gap is not nearly as big as we pretend it is. Scores and records show us effort and system more than they do talent. Effort makes one guy Emmitt Smith, and the other guy Reggie Bush. One guy is infinitely more talented, but the other is greater, and will always be.

Some teams have more talent. However, that doesn't mean near as much as we seem to think it does. Too many funny things happen in college football for us to write off good teams because of what conference they play in.

OK, off the soapbox I go ...

20. Drifterbub

Featured Threads:
    I don't think Mutt was writing off non-BCS teams as much as he was saying that they can't compete with the big dogs on a consistent level. That was Stanford's first win over USC in how many years? When are we going to see the next one? If Oklahoma plays boise ten times, how many do the sooners win? Castor's right, the Pac-10 isn't that good now a days, but like nearly all major conference teams, they will bounce back.

I think it was Cole that got it right. The Pac-10 isn't interested in adding sloppy schools to the conference because they can occasionally beat an elite program. It takes far more than that to justify moving a university around (academics, organization, facilities, location, cash flow, top-to-bottom athletic competitiveness, etc). There is even a bigger gap from D II to D I.

21. Cimmy24

Cimmy24 Candy Ass Self

Thats just where I...as a die hard fan, student, and someone looking at their schedule...believe they should be. I personally think Mich St is overrated and I am curious to see how Pryor does when my ass is screaming "Fuck You Pryor" all night as I sit in that Herbie claimed "Best Student Section In The Country".

22. Mallard Muscle

Mallard Muscle Blue Chip Prospect

"Best Student Section In The Country"? Only because you haven't been to Autzen Stadium where we fit 15K students into an 8K section.

Oregon will be in a BCS bowl this year if they can beat Boise St. on opening night. Oregon State was a fluke last year and they'll be lucky to get to the Sun Bowl again this year. USC and Cal are the only teams that really scare me this year in the Pac10.

If I was betting the house on how it will shake out in the Pac10. Each section is subject to a little change.

USC
    Oregon
    Cal
    ------
    UCLA
    Stanford
    Arizona State
    Oregon State
    ------
    Washington
    Arizona
    Washington State

23. Drifterbub

Featured Threads:
    No student section can hold a candle to A&M. We have freakin' yell practice the night before the game (which is really a ploy to make out with your date (y) ). Our stadium seats just under 88k and about half of the tickets allotted are for students.

24. BDSDIGITAL

My statement was more to say that realignment would be beneficial to the game not whether Boise St would be a wise choice for the Pac 10. As far as football goes no one has been within arms reach of Boise St in years in the WAC. They are 60-4 in conference, have won the conference every year but once, and since 2002 they are 80-11 overall and have beat a handful of BCS conference teams including Oklahoma (like Archie said the greatest game I've ever seen myself) Oregon in Eugene, etc. Their other sports probably are crap though so it would be tough to get the PAC 10 to accept them. Either way, Bosie St. has shown they can play with the big boys and I think football fans do themselves a dis service writing off the Utah's and Boise St., and TCU's of the world who have all shown they can play with anyone with the right group of talent.

25. Drifterbub

Featured Threads:
    Yeah I agree with you and I would love to see your realignment proposal take shape in real life. Everyone knows we need a more level structure than the current one, that's for damn sure.