College Football Landscape

Discussion in 'The Cheap Seats' started by GoGators, May 3, 2010.

1. GoGators

GoGators GT: KSherm

College Football Landscape

Here's a link to an article that hints at something very interesting:

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefoo...-trickledown-effect?tag=pageRow;pageContainer

While driving home from work today, I heard this guy on sports talk radio and he was discussing the potential changes that will occur when the Big 10 decides to show it's hand in going to a 12, 14, or 16 team conference. While all this is just rumors at this point in time, it has huge implications if these things play out even close to what he suggests.

Suggested Scenario:
    Big 10 expands to 16 teams and looks to become a super conference.

SEC Commissioner Mike Silve is already on record in this article as saying there's no way the SEC will stand pat if the Big 10 does this. What's being rumored right now is that if the Big 10 expands, the SEC would put targets on a couple huge schools, Texas, Texas A&M, Florida St, and Miami.

Could you imagine a conference that consisted of the SEC teams with those other schools added to the mix?

Like I said, these are just rumors at this point, but it doesn't seem that far fetched for this to happen if the Big 10 makes the first move.

It seems crazy that Texas would leave the Big 12, but if the Big 10 poached a team or two from the Big 12, that conference would be at a crossroads. The SEC is the 2nd largest revenue generator behind the Big 10 so I don't think it'd be too difficult for either of those conferences to grab a couple of choice schools with the money they have to throw around.

2. GSUtiger

GSUtiger GEAUX TIGERS!!

If the scenario did play out in such a way those 4 teams would only be right for the SEC as they will still remain the toughest conference. but i could also see both Texas schools passing and staying in the Big 12

3. KnightNoles

KnightNoles Learn to Compete

I really dont get it (yes I do) but why not just grab ONE damn team and create a conference championship. Notre Dame needs to stop being stuck up snobs (yea I went there) and just join the damn conference and put a clause that they can keep their TV deal or whatever.

I don't really like the whole idea of a super conference unless its on the video game.

4. Rudy

Rudy Pumped for NCAA 11

Money wise, Notre Dame would actually make more money if they joined the Big 10 and just shared that TV money for all sports. Notre Dame has said they won't join a conference for football though.

I think these super conferences are bad for college football. Anything more than 12 seems odd. You will have teams in the same conference that will rarely play each other. I think 12 is the perfect number - two divisions and division championship. The PAC 10 could add two teams like Utah and Colorado and the Big 10 should just add Pitt although it really looks like the Big 10 is going to 16. That way they can change their name lol.

5. DirtycashDylan

DirtycashDylan I came here to scheme and chew bubblegum...

From what I'm hearing on the intranetz, Texas won't join the SEC for academic reasons. the Pac-10 is a different story.

6. envy is atm

envy is atm eNVy is ATM

my friend martell webb plays for michigan we went to pontiac northern together played football and bball together and still remain close he says mizzou nebraska syracuse rutgers and pitt are very close to joining the big ten then i heard on tv that arkansas will leave the sec to join the big 12 along with tcu to fill that 2 team void

7. DirtycashDylan

I think if Mizzou and Nebraska leave then Colorado will jump ship for the Pac-10 and the Big 12 will be in trouble and Ark will probably stay where they are. If the Big 10 only takes 1 and it's Mizzou for some reason, then Arky very well may join the Big 12 North so they can start recruiting Texas talent and start winning again, kinda like taking a less paying job that's more rewarding.

I know the Auburn and Bama ADs were on sports radio, separately, in FL and both said the SEC isn't interested in adding more FL schools because the SEC schools already have to recruit against FSU and Miami and it would give those schools more credibility when recruiting FL talent. They also don't want to deal with the biggest athletic department in the country (Texas) and the baggage that brings.

From what I hear on the netz, GA Tech is the SEC's #1 target if they expand. They were an original member and they're located in Atlanta, site of the SEC champ game.

One of the ADs also said the best option from the Big 12 are OU and OSU. They fit better culturally in the SEC than Texas/aTm, they wouldn't make waves politically and they already have their own recruiting areas.

Va Tech may not go because UVA wasn't going to let the ACC expand without VT. We'll see if they keep that loyalty.

Should be interesting.

8. MorsDraconis

MorsDraconis Walk On

Man, if all this crap blows up the Big East Basketball conference, I'm going to be SO pissed. The best conference in the land is great because of the depth of quality teams in the conference; something no other conference in the NCAA can say they have.

I just hope WVU goes to the SEC, ACC, or Big Televen. I REALLY hope we don't fuck around and get stuck in some shitty conference with no prayer of competing on a national stage again...

9. envy is atm

envy is atm eNVy is ATM

the reason why mizzou would come is the money we have revenue sharing from the big ten network which makes more money then any other conference and mizzous biggiest rival is illinois.

my personal believes are that the big ten will get 3 teams my guess mizzou pitt syracuse

10. DirtycashDylan

So you think the Big 10 will expand to 14?

Yeah, the Big 12 revenue sharing is uneven. Half is even and half is distributed based on individual earnings/TV appearances etc-so half the TV revenue is spread around and the other half goes to Texas and OU for the most part. I hear Big 12 North teams haven't been happy about that. If Mizzou and Nebraska go to the Big 10 they can be mediocre and still get paid like tOSU.

11. envy is atm

envy is atm eNVy is ATM

i think 14 because of the big east hiring paul tagligbue or however you spell that lol and big east is gonna give notre dame a altimadem if they dont join football all the other sports are out of the big east and big 10 wont take them if its not all sports they will be forced to give up the independent football

12. DirtycashDylan

13. DirtycashDylan