College Game Day: Weekly picks

Discussion in 'The Pride' started by UcanHateMeNow, Aug 5, 2013.

1. UcanHateMeNow

UcanHateMeNow 3rd Coast born that means we're Texas raised

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. UcanHateMeNow

In week 4 of our first season we have some big user games coming up this week. The Game Day crew weighs in on this weeks four matchups.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

In our first matchup we have the #10 Michigan Wolverines heading on the road to take on the UConn Huskies. Michigan is coming off an impressive win over rival Notre Dame while UConn is coming off a loss to a strong Oregon team. The key in this matchup will be how UConn handles a stout running game the Wolverines bring to town.

"If the Huskies can limit Toussaint at bay and make Devon Gardner one dimensional, I think they have a shot at pulling off the upset" - Kirk Herbstreit
    "Come on now, you know where I'm leaning in this matchup" - Desmond Howard

The majority of the nation agrees with the crew

[​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

The second matchup of the week has Ducks heading to the midwest to take on an Iowa State team. Both teams come into the game at 1-1 and looking to get their 2nd win. Oregon defeated UConn last week where the Cyclones lost to in state rival Iowa. Does Iowa State have enough strength on defense to keep the spread defense of the Ducks grounded?

"On paper the Ducks have mismatches all across the board thus you have to consider them the heavy favorite" - Chris Fowler
    "Not so fast my friend, you can never underestimate this Cyclone team especially playing at home" - Lee Corso

The crew is 3-1 in their pick

[​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

The Iowa Hawkeyes travel down to College Station to take on the now #1 Texas A&M Aggies. After back to back 3 point wins vs rival Texas and then over then #1 Alabama, the Aggies are on cloud nine. Iowa is feeling good after taking their in state rival to the woodshed and don't feel any pressure heading on the road. Heisman winner Johnny Manziel remains the catalyst for the Aggies but their stout defense has been the unsung hero so far.

"Iowa needs to play Iowa football and run the ball and control the clock. Offense will be their best defense to keep Johnny Football on the sidelines" - Lee Corso
    "But Coach, A&M's defense shut down the Texas offense and held Bama to only 10 points, easier said then done" - Kirk Herbstreit

The choice is unanimous

[​IMG]

And in our marquee matchup of the week

[​IMG] [​IMG]

The U vs The Ohio State University

All we need is for the sweater vest to come back, Maurice Clarett give back all his benefits and Willis McGahee's knee to travel back in time. The #2 team in the nation is right where most people believed they would be however the young bucks from Coral Gables have given the college world a flash of hope that The U is back.

"Big challenge to come up to the Horseshoe and beat Ohio State" - Kirk Herbstreit
    "But this is a young Miami team who might not be so bothered by that pressure Kirk" - Desmond Howard
    "A win like this will definitely bring back some of that swagger that we have always associated with Miami" - Kevin Fowler

The crowd gathers in anticipation while Lee Corso makes his pick....

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 4
  3. thegman2.0

thegman2.0 Walk On

texas a and m aggies won 24-22 over hawkeyes , fellas look out for hawkeyes rest of year

4. mikeL9286

mikeL9286 Walk On

It's gonna be real tough to pull the upset on #2 OSU at their place. Hopefully the defense comes to play.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Selvy9

Selvy9 Walk On

I tried man, I really did. Weisman went for 100 yards on 24 carries, I just couldn't slow down the Aggies offense when it mattered. Great game though. Too bad we didn't schedule this later in the year when Johnny Football will be suspended ;)

• Like Like x 2
  6. UcanHateMeNow

I tried also but I couldn't subdue JF. I was down 7 late in the 4th and had Lazer in a 3rd and over 20. JF breaks the pocket and scrambles to find a WR at the sideline for a 1st down on 3rd and a mile. 3 points later im down 10 and that ended up being the difference in the game as I lost 24-21

7. Archie Griffin

Archie Griffin Walk On

Miami and OSU should be a good one. My best user game ever was against the Canes two releases ago, maybe three. Last second FG for the win. No clue if I can do it again, but I'm sure I can make a game of it.

8. cyhiphopp

cyhiphopp Walk On

Always listen to Corso!

9. cyhiphopp

cyhiphopp Walk On

I'll share this here to make sure everyone gets to see it.

Upset Storm Brewing!
    [​IMG]

ISU upsets Oregon in instant classic at Jack Trice Stadium! 33-28

ISU QB Sam Richardson was challenged by his coaches after last weeks loss to the rival Iowa Hawkeyes. "Take care of the football, make good decisions, and we can win." Sam did just that during a difficult game against an extremely talented Oregon team.

Iowa State took the opening kickoff and went to work. The Cyclones wanted to run the ball and mixed in passing to drive down the field all the way to a first and goal inside the 5. 3 straight stuffed runs led to a disappointing field goal.
    Oregon would answer with a solid drive of their own on the shoulders of do everything running back DeAnthony Thomas. Iowa State had a big opportunity when Marcus Mariota made a bad decision trying to stretch the field. His pass hit Sr safety Jacques Washington in the chest, but he dropped it. Oregon would capitalize on the free pass and scored on a TD run from one yard out by Thomas.
    ISU worked their way down field on the next drive, opening it up a little more in the passing game and taking advantage of an aggressive Duck defense. A sharp TD pass to TE Ernst Brun was the result.
    [​IMG]
    ISU would get an interception by Sr safety Cliff Stokes to set up their next drive which was again capped by a TD pass to Brun with 1:14 left in the half.
    [​IMG]
    DeAnthony Thomas decided to take matters into his own hands. Despite a deep kick to the very back of the end zone, DAT worked his magic as multiple ISU players were smashed leading to an almost too easy 109 yard record setting TD return. A 17-7 lead was almost completely nullified.
    [​IMG]
    ISU would take a few shots on the resulting drive with just over a minute left in the half. Sam Richardson worked the ball methodically down the field, using timeouts and the sideline to stop the clock. He had the Ducks on their webbed heals and hit a strike down the the one yard line with just a few seconds left. ISU called a quick run play, but the ducks saw it coming and came out in a goal line D. Sam audibled to a pass and got the ball of quick. Unfortunately Oregon safety Brian Jackson made a miracle leaping grab to kill a sure scoring opportunity.
    17-14 ISU at half

The second half got a bit crazy. Oregon would take the kickoff looking to capitalize on the ISU miscue before half. Mariota, who had been cold all day Threw his second pick to Stokes. Stokes was so happy that he jumped for joy. Coach Rhoads would pull him aside later and tell him that was a fucking stupid idea.
    [​IMG]
    Right after the change in possession, disaster struck. Oregon Coach @guayo10 was struck by lightning resulting in a loss of "connection" to the game. The game was immediately delayed. After Guayo regained consciousness, Coach Rhoads asked him if he wanted to postpone the game. Coach Guayo said, "No, your boys have earned this night, let them finish." He would let his offensive coordinator Scott Frost complete the game. ISU would take advantage of the short field and punch the ball in from 3 yards out.
    Marcus Mariota's accuracy did not improve in his coaches absence either, throwing a third pick to corner Kenny Lynn. ISU would rumble in for another TD, this time y Jeff Woody.
    [​IMG]
    The Ducks weren't done though. A botched option pitch would give them a short field, followed by a TD on a screen pass to, you guessed it, DAT.
    After a punt the Ducks would drive again on the back of Thomas to get another TD run. 31-28 ISU.
    After a failed onside kick, ISU would do their best to run out the clock on the ensuing drive. Oregon would stand strong and prevent a first down, using all of their timeouts to ensure a final possession. However during the resulting punt, with under a minute remaining, Thomas tried to do too much, muffing the punt which then bounced down all the way to the 1 yard line before a duck would finally recover it. To score, the ducks would have to drive all the way from their 1 yard line. ISU dropped everyone into coverage and after an incompletion, ISU defensive end David Irving broke through for his third sack of the half, resulting in a safety to seal the game. ISU would kneel the ball after the free kick with a 33-28 win!
    [​IMG]
    Great game by coach @guayo10. I am lucky he did not want to replay it as I definitely had the upset special going. Mariota was cold as ice and DeAnthony Thomas could only do so much. He did end up with 143 on the ground, 40 through the air, 157 return yards and all four Oregon TDs. That's 340 total yards! I saved a video of the end of his 109 yard return for posterity.

ISU Stats:
    Sam Richardson: 18/25 235 yards, 2 TDs and 1INT - 12 rushes for 47 yards
    James White: 47 yards rushing
    Quenton Bundrage: 6 catches for 101 yards

• Like Like x 1
  10. thegman2.0

thegman2.0 Walk On

question for you man , do you line up reciruts to visit for this game?

11. cyhiphopp

cyhiphopp Walk On

I did bring in a few recruits this week. Not ones I am in a tight battle for though. Too much at stake. I would have brought in the other two this week if I knew I was going to win!

12. cyhiphopp

cyhiphopp Walk On

I wanted to bring in a couple because my next home game is against Texas and then I have to wait until week 9 for the next home game. GAH!

13. thegman2.0

thegman2.0 Walk On

my self , i wanted to invite greg malone in to mizzou home game to face UConn and tough Red Al but i feeling i loose to him but waited later , so far i cant stop run at all , dont matter if qb running option or rb runnng past mizzou d line and last night stepen houston hooisers back just ran down my thorat 60 yards for easy td

14. mikeL9286

mikeL9286 Walk On

Miami defeats OSU 34 - 7.

Take THAT Corso! ... But I'm sure he didn't realize that OSU would be without their coach.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2013
  15. mikeL9286

mikeL9286 Walk On

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    #3 Miami Hurricanes @ #2 North Carolina Tarheels

This is easily the biggest match-up of the week. Two of the top 3 teams in the country will face off in a game that could determine the winner of not only the ACC Coastal division, but the winner could also find themselves in the National Championship.

The last time a #3 ranked Miami team faced UNC was back in 2004 when the Tarheels upset the Canes on a late field goal. This time, it's North Carolina that is defending against the upset and the Canes are looking for revenge.​

Last edited: Aug 16, 2013
    • Like Like x 1
  16. UcanHateMeNow

[​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

In a huge matchup which will have massive implications in the B1G championship race, the Michigan Wolverines travel down to Iowa City to take on the Iowa Hawkeyes. Both teams come into this matchup ranked with Michigan being higher ranked in the polls. Lets see what our crew is thinking about with this matchup.

"Both teams have a great one two punch at the QB and RB positions. Iowa will need to clamp down on Touissant and force Gardner to beat them. Luckily for Michigan Gardner is capable of doing that." - Desmond Howard

"I totally anticipate this being a classic knock down drag out old school Big 10 matchup with the best defense winning the game down the stretch" - Chris Fowler

"Iowa knocking off the Wolverines is a result that would not surprise me and I totally anticipate it happening"- Kirk Herbstreit

"Not so fast my friend" - Lee Corso

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  17. thegman2.0

thegman2.0 Walk On

espn football is back tonight and I been watching vandy and ole miss , gameday is back at 8 am cst time Saturday moring , I cant wait

18. UcanHateMeNow

To start off our 2nd season we will have the team of Brent Musberger and Kirk Herbstreit picking this weeks game with the help of special guest, none other than Marshall Mathers aka Eminem.

[​IMG]

In the first of our two user games we have a B1G vs SEC matchup as the Iowa Hawkeyes head down to Gainesville to take on the Florida Gators. Florida looks to build on the success they had last year of getting to the SEC title game and losing to eventual champion Texas A&M. Iowa was one game away from the B1G title game so they also have high hopes this season will their year.

"Jake Rudock will be key but Iowa has a stable of RB's that can definitely handle the load for this Hawkeye offense." - Kirk Herbstreit

"The Gators also have a group of fine running back as well so don't overlook their ability." - Brent Musberger

"awww......" - Eminem

Prediction

[​IMG]

In our second matchup we have old rivals hooking up again in the Lonestar Showdown. A&M comes off of a National championship over the U, while Texas still had a winning season but stumpled in their bowl game. These teams met up in Austin last year with A&M edging the Longhorns by 3 points en route to their perfect season.

"A&M is loaded at the skill positions. I don't see how Texas is going to stop this offense and lets keep in mind Texas couldn't move the ball on offense last year in this game." - Kirk Herbstreit

"But Texas has a lot of senior leadership and they would like nothing more than to go to College Station and beat their rival." - Brent Musberger

"I like the autograph guy..." - Eminem

Prediction

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  19. cyhiphopp

cyhiphopp Walk On

Someone get Eminem his prescription.

20. UcanHateMeNow

So Texas holds Johnny Manziel and that high powered offense to 259 yards total for the game and still cannot muster enough offense to win. Good defense LTL7360

21. LTL7360

LTL7360 Play hard for the name on your chest: Texas A&M

Both defenses played well. I think we combined for 42 carries for 60 yards. I'll have a write up later

22. Selvy9

Selvy9 Walk On

Late breaking news: Iowa QB Jake Rudock has been benched in favor of Cody Sokol to start the season.

23. cyhiphopp

cyhiphopp Walk On

If you'd like to play the 3rd string QB against Iowa State, well that's fine with me.

24. Selvy9

Selvy9 Walk On

lol, not sure how it happened since Sokol hardly played last year, but he passed Rudock skill ratings wise by a bit in the offseason. plus im gonna try a little more spread out stuff this year and he's a lot quicker and still a decent passer. we'll see how it goes with my first 2 games being user games.

25. thegman2.0

thegman2.0 Walk On

UcanHateMeNow
    how about gameday picks mizzou and the dawgs from Georgia as I go for my first 3-1 first ?