College Gameday Final Week 1 2011

Discussion in 'Thread Archive' started by Kasper, Sep 27, 2010.

1. Kasper

Kasper The Ghost Himself

College Gameday Final Week 1 2011

We’re Baaaaaaaaaaaaack!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Quick Hits

#6 Ole Miss (1-0) abused Arkansas State to a tune of 52-7

#10 South Carolina (1-0) smothered Duke 38-14

#14 Boston College (1-0) tamed the Northwestern Wildcats 38-21

Wake Forest (0-1) couldn't quite top #3 Washington in Seattle, 20-17 in OT

Vanderbilt (1-0) shut down the Army option, winning 37-3

Auburn (1-0) won at Virginia (0-1) 24-10

Maryland (1-0) came out on top of Kentucky (0-1) 30-28

[​IMG]
    Marcus Lattimore is picking up where he left off last season

User Game of the Week
    College Park, Maryland -- Kentucky came into this one fired up for another shot at the Terrapins who beat them in a close game the year before; and the Wildcats gave Maryland everything they had. Senior Randall Cobb came out determined to lead his team to victory putting up the games first two touchdowns on runs of 26 and 9 yards. Both teams put up some nice offensive numbers this game (676 yards between the two) but both turned the ball over twice.

For 4 quarters these teams battled it out; each team going on their own scoring runs. With 20 seconds left on the clock UK quarterback Morgan Newton dropped back. He waited and waited in the pocket before rolling to his right to avoid the Terrapin pass rush. Right as he was about to cross the line of scrimmage he threw a line to junior Larod King who rolled and held onto the game winning touchdown--or so they thought. The gatorade was lifted as Kentucky tacked on extra point to take the crucial 1 point lead. Head coach Joker Phillips elected to squib the ball, but a Maryland upback made a smart play by catching the kick off one bounce and getting a good return up to the 38 yard line. With 8 seconds left Maryland QB Jamarr Robinson hit a Maryland slot receiver for a big gain and got a timeout called with one second left. Junior kicker Nick Ferrara knocked in the kick from 47 yards out for the win. Never forget the kicker.

[​IMG]
    All eyes were on Nick Ferrara in College Park

What We Learned

#1. Marcus Lattimore isn't into the whole sophomore slump thing.

The sophomore tailback put up 165 yards on 25 attempts and 2 TD's against a good (we think) Duke team. Lattimore averaged 7 yards per carry in 2010, and he is right on track with averaging 6.6 in the opener. Look for this star to have Heisman hype all year long.

#2. Wake Forest is ready.

2010 saw the Demon Deacons post a mediocre record. 2011 might see Wake turn the corner as an ACC contender. I think they have what it will take to contend with their divisionn. Look for the Deacons to be have a good year.

#3. Auburn QB Cam Newton might not survive the season.

The Tigers line gave up a whopping 5 sacks against a very average Virginia defensive line. You think teams like Alabama, Florida, Ole Miss and South Carolina aren't licking their chops to that statistic? Newton is a very very talented player, but if that offensive line doesn't sure up Auburn's conference hopes will slip away just as soon as they arrive.

Helmet Stickers

[​IMG]

Rece Davis
    Maryland K Nick Ferrara - 3-3 FG's and GW as time expired.
    "Ferrara was clutch all day, and really came through for Maryland."

Lou Holtz
    South Carolina RB Marcus Lattimore - 25 Att 165 yards 2TD's
    "Lattimore lived up to the hype."

Mark May
    Wake Forest DE Tristan Dorty - 9 solo tackles, 4 TFL, 3 Sacks
    "Dorty set a Wake record with his 3 sacks on the day."

Power Rankings

We are going to wait on power ranking for a couple weeks-- give some time for things to shake out a little bit.

(y)

That wraps up this weeks edition of College Football Final, thanks for checking us out and see you next week after the final whistle blows!
    Visitors are welcome to comment!

2. T-Law10

T-Law10 Wolfpack Coach

Glad to have this back. Wake Forest for the ACC title? I think Maryland and BC are going to be tough to knock out. I'm not buying the Wazzu love just yet. Especially after seeing skyler Jones in the opener

3. Kasper

Kasper The Ghost Himself

Oh no, not for the title--division my friend.

duke and wake are the only users in that division right?

4. Timpegoose

Timpegoose Walk On

Wake is in with Maryland, BC, and NC State. I think Virginia and Duke are the only ones in the Coastal division

5. Kasper

Kasper The Ghost Himself

You are correct sir, me and my SEC self.

6. Timpegoose

Timpegoose Walk On

I couldn't tell you who is in which division in the SEC either to be honest :p

7. Kasper

Kasper The Ghost Himself

Well, its good to be back. Hope you guys like the slightly tweaked look (mainly the "What we learned" part)

8. T-Law10

T-Law10 Wolfpack Coach

You know what i learned? My db's can't play man defense anymore, lol

9. PAgamer07

PAgamer07 We're the ship without a storm

Nice job, this was really well done.

10. Kasper

Kasper The Ghost Himself

Thanks man, I try to keep this quality consistent all year :p

11. gowazzucougs

gowazzucougs WSU is better than UCLA

As I predicted Nick Ferrera gave Maryland the edge in special teams. I wish my kicker was Nick Ferrera, 3 for 3 on Field goals, Wake Forest lost to UW because the kicker can't kick the ball long enough for a 44 yard field goal (he got all of it, and it was still short). It definetely looks like I may be having to go for it on fourth down just outside of my opponent's 25 yard line again this year.

12. gwill

gwill Sierra, Hotel, India, Echo, Lima, Delta

Although I am concerned with 5 sacks, at least 3 of those were holding on to the ball too long. It's early and with a bye week we will get those problems fixed. Still got some growing pains with a new offensive system.

13. Kasper

Kasper The Ghost Himself

Had to find a 3rd thing to nitpick haha

14. Tiger_Stripes86

Tiger_Stripes86 Walk On

I'm not really sure if duke counts this season

15. Kasper

Kasper The Ghost Himself

hahaha.