College Gameday Final Week 2 2011

Discussion in 'Thread Archive' started by Kasper, Sep 28, 2010.

1. Kasper

Kasper The Ghost Himself

College Gameday Final Week 2 2011

WEEK 2 IN THE BOOKS

[​IMG]

Quick Hits

#8 South Carolina ousted Indiana 31-24

#21 Ole Miss let Wake Forest get the best of them at home, losing 27-10

Kentucky smashed Memphis 59-7

Vanderbilt slipped by UConn 24-12.

NC State mugged UCLA, final of 48-28

Maryland got revenge on conference rival Clemson, rolling to a 44-10 win

Virginia Tech knocked Duke back down to Earth with a 42-14 win

Boston College topped Mississippi State 31-15

Virginia couldn't find enough firepower to top Florida State, bowing out 35-21

[​IMG]
    Duke is struggling to find last year's magic.

User Game of the Week
    Ahh, the sweet smell of college football upsets. Oxford, Mississippi is ripe with the smell. Wake Forest came into the #6 ranked rebels house with one thing on their mind- winning that ball game. The Rebels scored first, with 2:26 left in the 1st quarter on a B. Rose 45 yard field goal. It would be 21 minutes until the Ole Miss squad would put any points on the board. In this time the Deacons tacked on 24 points. Wake running back Brandon Pendergrass was instrumental in the upset, tallying 113 yards and 2 TD's on 22 carries. Wake QB Skylar Jones managed the game very well, throwing for 140 yards with a TD and only one INT.

The story of the game however was Wake's defense, particularly the pass d. The opportunistic Demon Deacon secondary intercepted Ole Miss QB Nathan Stanley a whopping 6 times. I might not be a hall of fame coach, but I'll bet you 9 times outta ten you lose if you throw 6 interceptions. Stanley is a good quarterback so I hope for 2 things to happen with him: 1) he bounces backs and 2) he is the starter next week. Don't be surprised if neither of those come true.

Hats off for the Wake Forest defense and look for them to get mentioned a little bit further down the line!

[​IMG]
    Kenny Okoro and the Wake defense came to play Saturday.

What We Learned

#1. Maryland will contend for a BCS bowl.

The Terrapins absolutely erased Clemson, the team that knocked them out of ACC contention last year. 44-10 was the final tally, ouch. If Maryland can stay focused all through the conference slate and play like they have so far, I honestly, don't see any more then 1 or 2 more close games for these guys.

#2. Randall Cobb is as advertised.

The Wildcat do-it-all man did it all against (mind you) Memphis. Cobb tallied roughly 200 yards of offense between receiving and rushing. #18 electrified the Lexington home crowd on a dazzling 63 yard TD reception.

#3. Duke is back to normal.

Not to bash the Dukies, but they have fallen back to Earth as many people were waiting for them to do. The same people that wanted them to fall back down, would also like to see some of that Blue Devil magic. Here's to hoping they can find it again and really make that ACC race interesting!

Helmet Stickers

[​IMG]

Rece Davis
    Wake Forest Defense
    "Came up HUGE in the upset."

Lou Holtz
    NC State RB Brandon Barnes - 168 yards 2 TD on 25 carries
    "Barnes is back in form."

Mark May
    Kentucky APB Randall Cobb - 112 yards TD on 11 carries, 3 rec 83 yards TD
    "One of the funnest players to watch in the country."

Power Rankings

Will probably wait til Week 4 or 5 for Power Rankings.

That wraps up this weeks edition of College Football Final, thanks for checking us out and see you next week after the final whistle blows!

2. gowazzucougs

gowazzucougs WSU is better than UCLA

Two Weeks, two Helmet Stickers for the Deacons Defense. Shhh, I don't want people knowing this defense is for real.

3. Kasper

Kasper The Ghost Himself

fell free to comment.

:)

4. T-Law10

T-Law10 Wolfpack Coach

I still can't believe Duke is 0-2. He played a really tough game against me in the ACC championship. Barnes is proving to be my best player as wilson continues to struggle. Good job!

5. niner_empire86

niner_empire86 Walk On

Nice work. no official decision on Stanley. The rebels have a bye week b4 taking on UK

6. Kasper

Kasper The Ghost Himself

Should be a good one regardless of your QB.

7. abolishthefed

abolishthefed Specializing in mediocrity

Is Duke's coach ripping a monster fart in that picture?

8. Kasper

Kasper The Ghost Himself

9. Timpegoose

Timpegoose Walk On

Nice upset by Wazzu. Sounds like Wake is going to be a tough team to beat this year. Should be a great race for the ACC this season. Looks like that move to RB for Cobb is working out pretty well so far too.

10. Kasper

Kasper The Ghost Himself

He's ma boy.

And yeah, just sayin-- But I called in in the Gameday Final Wake was gonna surprised.

Just sayin :)