Colorado to the PAC-10 --> Confirmed

Discussion in 'Locker Room' started by HackGolfer, Jun 10, 2010.

1. HackGolfer

HackGolfer Administrator

Colorado to the PAC-10 --> Confirmed

Colorado is making their announcement in about 20 minutes

http://www.sportingnews.com/college-football/article/2010-06-10/colorado-set-announce-move-pac-10

2. CLW

CLW GBN Commish

This stuff is just bizzarre. It looks like one of the all-time great basketball programs (KU) is going to be scrambling to find a home.

I guess that just goes to show that Football and $ are the King of college athletics.

3. Emmdotfrisk

Emmdotfrisk Working half days on my days off.

Colorado to Pac-10 is a 'done deal'

Colorado to Pac-10 is a 'done deal'

Following up on reports that have been bouncing off the walls of the Internet all morning, both the Boulder Daily Camera and ESPN.com's Joe Schad are reporting that Colorado will be the first of what's expected to be many conference dominoes falling over the next few days and weeks.

There is, however, some discrepancy as to when the official announcement will be made.

Schad reports on his Twitter account that "Colorado will be announced as [a] new member of [the] Pac-10 today." The Daily Camera's Neill Woelk reports that Colorado will announce at an early Friday afternoon press conference that the school is leaving the Big 12.

Regardless of when it actually goes down, whether it be Thursday or Friday, Colorado will no longer be a member of the Pac-10 by the time the weekend rolls around.

The Daily Camera reports that this move has been in the works throughout the week, and that the deal was finalized Wednesday after the school's board of regents gave athletic director Mike Bohn the green light to secure an invitation to what will become their new conference.

So, what will happen next? Reportedly, Nebraska will bust a move for the Big Ten as early as Friday, and then the real drama could potentially commence.

Will Texas rejoin Colorado in the Pac-10 and, in the process, pull along four of the other five members of the Big 12 South, thus leaving the Big 12 as nothing but a smoldering shell of its former self?

We don't know all of that quite yet, but one thing's for certain: Colorado's preemptive move to the Pac-10 ahead of the other rumored schools ensures that they won't become ensnared in the Texas political machine, a legislative system seemingly hell-bent on keeping Baylor tied to the coattails of the other three Texas schools and aligned in whatever conference Texas, Texas A&M and Texas Tech ultimately wind up in.

Well played, Buffs. Well played.

4. Iron Mickey

Iron Mickey I'd take her out for some casadias

Colorado in the Pac-10 is going to look weird.

5. CLW

CLW GBN Commish

I haven't followed this very closely could someone give me a couple of their answers/best guesses as to the following:

#1 When will all of these changes take effect (i.e. will the Pac 10 completely change its schedule for the upcoming season)?

#2 Anyone get a since that if the Pac 10 doesn't expand to 17 teams (i.e. include Baylor) that the Texas Schools will go elsewhere? It seems to me that the Texas legislature and schools want all the big Texas schools (A&M, Baylor, Tech and Texas) to be a package.

#3 Where in the hell are KU Missouri, K State and Iowa State going to go? I find it shocking that a big conference wouldn't want Kansas' basketball program in its conference.

6. Emmdotfrisk

#1: Changes are expected to take place as early as next year.

#2: Pac 10 is looking to expand to no more than 16 teams. As of right now they want OK, OK st, Texas, Tamu, and Tech) leaving Baylor out of the picture. If Texas legislature wants to keep texas teams together, look to see Texas, TAMU, and Tech to join the SEC. The Pac 10 has also been talking with Utah.

3: The big 12 will still be intact but will return to the Big 8. Iowa State, Kansas, Kansas St, Baylor, and the addition of conference USA/wac teams in the midwest will join to make it a mid major type conference.

7. CLW

CLW GBN Commish

If that is the case I would look for the SEC to be adding 4 Texas teams in the near future.

I just don't see anyway the Texas legislature "allows" this to happen. From what I have gathered Baylor has some very powerful alumni that have all but guaranteed the Texas schools are a package deal.

If the Pac 10 was smart and this is all about $/markets they would be crazy to not expand to 17 teams and add the Texas media market/$.

8. GSUtiger

GSUtiger GEAUX TIGERS!!

I think the pac 10 will have to add Utah because I don't see the Texas schools leaving out Baylor..but all of it doesn't really matter because when all this said and done the SEC will still be the best Conference around when we go pick up FSU, the U, VT and possible Clemson

9. Emmdotfrisk

Pac-10 officially announces addition of Colorado

Pac-10 officially announces addition of Colorado

There it is. It is indeed a done deal.

According to a press release on their official website, the Pac-10 has announced the addition of Colorado as the 11th -- and probably not last -- member of their conference.

"This is an historic moment for the Conference, as the Pac-10 is poised for tremendous growth. The University of Colorado is a great fit for the Conference both academically and athletically and we are incredibly excited to welcome Colorado to the Pac-10," said Commissioner Larry Scott in a statement.

"On behalf of The University of Colorado students, faculty, alumni and fans, we are proud to accept this invitation from the Pac-10 and join the most prestigious academic and athletic conference in the nation, " said Philip P. DiStefano, chancellor of CU-Boulder.

"The University of Colorado is a perfect match - academically and athletically - with the Pac-10," said University of Colorado President Bruce D. Benson, "our achievements and aspirations match those of the universities in the conference and we look forward to a productive relationship."

Details such as when the Buffaloes would begin play in their new league were not revealed. A press conference will be held at Folsom Field in Colorado on Friday at 1 p.m. ET that may provide further details.

Nebraska, Texas, the conference floor's all yours.

10. Masler

Masler Moderator

bye bye Big 12...

11. Shino45

Shino45 Walk On

More than likely it will be the 2012 season... Unless they vote to dissolve the Big 12 and agree to end at the end of this season...which I doubt.

As others said the Pac 10 would stop at 16. Baylor being apart of the package deal is a rumor at this time. Baylor is a private institution in Texas and will not have as much leverage as the state schools. I do not believe the legislature would block the move because they would be getting increased $$$ for three of their schools. I don't believe they will block that, lose money for the three schools just for Baylor. I think what we are hearing is Baylor talking and putting these things out. I also doubt Stanford would agree to invite Baylor to the conference. If they do not move to the Pac 10, more than likely the Big 12 would stay together and they would invite some lesser schools in. The SEC would not take all 4 of those Texas schools. Texas can make up for Tech, and A&M, but not Baylor also.

Football rules and it's all about the $$$. They could end up in the Mountain West or some other mid major conference. I know it's hard to believe, but you just have to look at the few power conferences there are.

Big 10- Expanding with the teams they want, would not take them.
    Pac 10- Would be at 16 teams and capped.
    SEC- Would not expand that far out west for those lesser schools.
    Big East- Probably would have taken some of these teams had they not been halfway across the country.
    ACC- Same as big east.

Not a bad school, just nowhere for them to go the way the realignment is lining up.

12. bravejaf

bravejaf Walk On

ESPN person said that Kansas may join up with Big East. It makes no sense geographically but it is a good fit in terms of sports. Big East is primarily b-ball conference with mediocre football teams aside from West Virginia and recently Cinci. Pitssburgh has good football history but they haven't jumped out recently.

13. Shino45

Shino45 Walk On

No way that happens..... Almost Every event (non-revenue) Division football, basketball games would be a trip across the country. The travel cost, missed classes, and time needed would be too great to justify.

14. RynoAid

RynoAid ..

This is from the source that has been absolutely right about everything so far.... I told you guys A&M does not want to go West...

Texas.Rivals.com
    Chip Brown
    Orangebloods.com Columnist

Talk about it in Inside the 40 Acres
    There may end up being a whole lot of drama between the Lone Star State's most bitter rivals as it pertains to the six Big 12 schools being targeted for expansion by the Pac-10.

Bill Byrne and Texas A&M appear to be having serious talks about joining the SEC.
    Colorado has already announced it's heading west.

Texas, Texas Tech, Oklahoma State and Oklahoma are waiting for a formal announcement by Nebraska about joining the Big Ten before announcing that they, too, are headed west to the Pac-10.

But sources say Texas A&M is still seriously exploring joining the Southeastern Conference. That charge is being led by A&M regent Gene Stallings, who, of course, won a national title in 1992 at Alabama as head coach.

The other four Big 12 South schools may wait through the weekend before making any kind of formal announcements about joining the Pac-10 to allow some time to pass from Nebraska's expected announcement on Friday.

But if Texas A&M waits too long to commit to the Pac-10, the Aggies could be put on the clock, possibly opening up their invitation to another school, sources close to the Big 12/Pac-10 merger said.

Schools that could possibly be considered for invitation to the Pac-10 in place of Texas A&M would include Utah and Kansas, among others, the sources said.

Pac-10 commissoner Larry Scott said in a media conference call Thursday that the Pac-10 might cap its expansion at 11 schools. But that appears to be a smokescreen until the other Big 12 South schools announce their intentions next week, sources said.

Texas and Texas A&M met in Austin Thursday along with Texas Tech and Baylor officials. It appears the three other Big 12 South schools notified Baylor officials that they are working to hold the Big 12 together with 10 schools.

Sources close to Texas, Texas A&M and Texas Tech told Orangebloods.com throughout the last week that if Nebraska moved on to the Big Ten, the Big 12 was dead.

Texas president William Powers and athletic director DeLoss Dodds met with UT coaches on Wednesday and told them they did everything they could to save the Big 12 but were unsuccessful.

There appears to be divided sentiment in the A&M community between going west and going to the SEC.

SEC Commissioner Mike Slive appears to be pulling out every enticement he can to lure Texas and Texas A&M to the SEC, including possibly moving two teams from the SEC West to the SEC East to allow Texas and Texas A&M in the SEC West, one source with knowledge of the SEC said.

But Texas does not appear interested in the SEC no matter what.

Texas A&M athletic director Bill Byrne, who used to be the AD at Oregon before moving on to Nebraska, has taken a hard stand about not wanting to travel west and used cities inside the Pac-10 as his examples. Stallings is also putting pressure on the situation.

There is a state-run, multi-billion dollar mineral rights endowment for both Texas and Texas A&M called the Permanent University Fund, which was threatened by lawmakers the last time realignment happened (when the Big 12 was formed) if the two schools did something without Texas Tech or Baylor. Now, we're talking about the two biggest schools in the state possibly doing something without each other.

One thing that should be reassuring to Texas A&M is that in a move to the Pac-10 Texas all but loses its chance to start its own TV network.

That was a point of contention for A&M, which has an athletic department $16 million in debt and had to borrow that money from the school's general fund to pay it off.

That became a big rift at A&M between the administration and athletics department and may have contributed to the forced resignation of A&M president Elsa Murano, who wanted the athletic department to be more diligent in paying the loan back.

A&M was not excited about having Texas, with its $125 million in revenue and its coffers overflowing, starting a TV network and adding yet another revenue stream that A&M couldn't match.

But with all schools belonging to a conference network (with no ability to start their own network) in the Pac-16, all schools would be on an equal revenue-sharing playing field. A&M's worries probably subside.

One thing appears clear. If A&M splits off from Texas in this realignment, it might create a War-Of-The-Roses style divorce. UT officials probably would not be eager to schedule the Aggies in anything, anytime soon. There would be the risk of losing 100-plus years of tradition, including the driving force behind the Aggies' very fight song (which starts: "Good-bye to Texas University ...).

15. bringbackjimmy

bringbackjimmy WTFWTTD

A&M will be left out in the cold if they wait to long.. the only reason the sec is talking to them is to try to lure Texas. If Texas Commits to the Pac-16 A&M will either have to deal with the rejects of the Big 12 or beg Texas and the pac-16 to join... IT's like the league of their own where the baseball scout tells the little sister she can come play ball, but only if she gets her sister to come. It's like that except Texas really doesn't give a shit about A&M

16. RynoAid

RynoAid ..

fuck the T-Sippers... A&M has plenty of tradition on their side. We don't need those hippies, the SEC would do fine by us.

17. Bamaboiking

Bamaboiking Walk On

Ummm No the SEC dosent need texas, the SEC dosent need anyone have you been paying attention, the SEC 5 year dominace caused all this in the first place. ITs why Mike Silve and the SEC cant sit back and basically hand pick anyone they want if they did want to add teams but all 12 coaches especially Saban Ritchand Meyers we vocal in not wanting to add anyone in the spring meetings. When your on top your on top, the SECcan only get stronger and believe it or not alot of teams will jump at wanting to get in.