Colt McCoy

Discussion in 'The Cheap Seats' started by BDSDIGITAL, Apr 16, 2010.

1. BDSDIGITAL

BDSDIGITAL One Time for your Mind

Colt McCoy

According to alot of sources the Browns are very interested in Colt with their 2nd round pick if he's there. I've seen him play a dozen times maybe over the last two seasons and I like him. I don't know if he's gonna be a star or anything like that, but I think he could be solid if he gets into the right situation. For the most part I really like his intangibles, toughness and leadership qualities. I hate the fact that he seems to lack deep accuracy and didn't throw very many of the "tough" nfl type throws, deep outs, fly rts, etc.

I know there are alot of Texas/McCoy fans around here, and I'm curious of what you guys that have seen alot more of him than me think about him as a future pro.

As a Browns fan, I'd much rather see them draft Tony Pike later in the draft if they want a project QB and address DT/DE or LB with that 2nd pick. I personally think Pike could end up being the better pro at some point, but that's just my opinion.

2. Bondzai

Bondzai Your Mom's Best Friend

The only thing is I've never heard anyone describe the Browns as the right situation.

3. Kasper

Kasper The Ghost Himself

The accuracy is there, but its the downfield throws that are the main thing experts point to as a "negative".

In my opinion if a team has patience with him he has hte potential, but it's a matter of him getting a good chance (by good I mean a good team, not somewhere he will get Jamarcus Russell'ed)

4. Drifterbub

Drifterbub Help me hide a body?

Featured Threads:
    Last I heard the Browns were trying to move up and take Bradford. If not, I think the could trade down and still pick up Clausen later in the 1st. Holmgren has said some things to the media that would leave me to believe that he likes Clausen.

As far as Colt McCoy goes, I'm almost positive that he will never be a starter in the NFL. He is not tough and his arm strength is questionable. I know people will try to argue all of this with me, but if he actually amounts to anything I'll come back and eat my crow.

5. Drifterbub

Featured Threads:
    Jamarcus Russell's problem is that he is so stupid he can't understand the play in NFL. He can't simply hide behind his arm strength anymore. Not saying it would have happened with every team and also not saying that he is not in a bad situation, but the overwhelming evidence that this guy just doesn't have the mental capacity to succeed at the professional level is definitely there.

6. Hova

Hova Live Action. YiYiYi!

They are talking hard now about trading up to take bradford

7. Kasper

Kasper The Ghost Himself

Agreed, but I think you know what I meant. You took it quite literally :p

8. BDSDIGITAL

BDSDIGITAL One Time for your Mind

I don't know if shitty would quite describe my mood if they traded away 2 firsts, a second, and maybe some other picks to get Bradford. They need everything except RB (maybe) and the left side of their line. Other than that they need everything. If you ask me, they need Eric Berry alot more than they need Sam Bradford but that's just my opinion.

I will throw up if they draft Claussen. Something about him just doesn't sit well with me.

I'd much rather see them draft a guy in the middle rounds. I think there are some good qb's that are somewhat undervalued in this draft, including Pike.

9. JerzeyReign

JerzeyReign #BeatOhio

After that love tap McCoy got in the NC game that knocked him out the game, he is no longer "tough" in my book. Let Orton play. The guy wins. Focus on other needs of the team. No QB in this draft is going to help that team succeed with the talent they have now. They just got rid of their "future franchise" quarterback in Brady Quinn without ever giving him any help or support from the team that he was going to be the starter hands down. Build the defense. Defense wins games.

10. bravejaf

bravejaf Walk On

That was my thought as well. I also agree with Brian on drafting Pike instead of McCoy, especially since Pike will probably be available when the Browns pick in the 3rd. The Browns also should stop talking about trading for #1 pick. The team is not 1 player away from a title, they are about 20 good players away.

11. Shaun Mason

Shaun Mason Somebody you used to know.

Featured Threads:
    I say stay pat at #7. For me, this is one of the hardest to read top 10's in recent NFL draft history.

I wonder if St. Louis passes on Suh.
    I wonder if Seattle (Pete Carroll) is that high on Bradford.
    I wonder if Eric Berry will be off the board by #7.
    I wonder if Dez Bryant has moved up enough to be on Cleveland's radar.

Personally, I hope Bradford falls to 7. If not, Berry. I would love if the Browns can get C.J. Spiller if he slides down.

12. MaxATX34

MaxATX34 Texas Football

I think Colt will be good in the NFL. He is the most accurate passer in this draft period. If he gets in the right system he could be great. I just hope he gets a few years on the bench behind a good QB before he gets thrown to the dogs.

13. Drifterbub

Featured Threads:
    More accurate than Bradford? I think that is at least debatable, if not completely false.

14. Rudy

Rudy Pumped for NCAA 11

I just don't know about McCoy. The guy played great in college but in a non pro-style system. He's a good athlete and his arm seems good enough. Come draft time I think scouts over-value arm strength quite a bit. They see these guys throw in shorts to a WR with no pass rush and no defense and fall in love with the JaMarcus Russell's and Akili Smith's. Big deal. Certainly it's a bonus to have a good arm but Brees doesn't have a cannon and neither does Brady. Joe Montana had a very average arm as well.

It all comes down to accuracy and good decision making. The NFL puts a lot more pressure on a QB than they do in college. How much quicker can a QB make his reads without blowing up?

Taking a guy like McCoy or Tebow early in round two is smart imo. Quarterbacks are never a sure thing even at pick number one so take one later where the money is much, much cheaper. If he busts as a second rounder your salary cap is still fine. Whoever drafts Bradford at #1 will be saddled with him, good or bad, for 4 or 5 years.

15. LeGeNd RiPs

LeGeNd RiPs Is it football season yet?

The browns don't need a quarterback. Brady Quinn has all the intangibles to be a great NFL quarterback and to lead that team, however, he has to have support around him in order for the browns to go anywhere. Draft some good o lineman and skill players to give him some support and this team will continue to grow. Thats what the browns need.

16. Bondzai

Bondzai Your Mom's Best Friend

So I'm guessing you haven't heard that Quinn was traded to the Broncos.

17. HackGolfer

HackGolfer Administrator

18. Rudy

Rudy Pumped for NCAA 11

Wait until he finds out Jake Delhomme is the starter!

Yes, the Browns need a QB.

19. MaxATX34

MaxATX34 Texas Football

Not only is he more accurate than Bradford, he is the most accurate college QB ever.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espnmag/story?id=3810961

20. Drifterbub

Featured Threads:
    You are confusing completion percentage and throwing accuracy. Although they are somewhat related, it doesn't necessarily mean much. Colt's avg/attempt certainly shows that he wasn't making the hard throws (and as a longhorn fan you should certainly know the high percentage of quick hitch, screens and slants that were run the last two years).

Again, I think he is an extremely accurate passer. But If I were to put an apple on my head, I would want Bradford throwing the football at it. The throwing drills at the pro-day workouts really confirmed this, IMO.

21. Hova

Hova Live Action. YiYiYi!

He's not going in the first round

22. Rudy

Rudy Pumped for NCAA 11

There are a lot of teams from the 7th pick through the 10th pick that need a QB. I'm sure they want a QB at the top of round two (Tebow, McCoy) but everyone else knows that too and may want to move up ahead of them. McCoy or Tebow could go at the bottom of round one.

This draft is tough to predict. The QBs like Clausen, Tebow and McCoy could go anywhere from Top 10 to 50th pick. Dez Bryant could be drafted anywhere in round one. CJ Spiller could go anywhere. The GT WR with his foot in the boot could end up round one. Gresham is coming off an injury and Gronkowski never played last year either but is a complete TE in a league using more TEs. Fat boy Mt. Cody may be taken in round one as teams need more NTs. Half the league runs a 3-4 now. Guys doing mock drafts are pulling their hair out.

23. Dru50

Dru50 Still Chicago's #1 son

Graham Harrell at TTU was considered an accurate college QB but hasn't done anything in the NFL for the reasons that Drifter mentioned. These spread offenses in college rely heavily on throwing a ton of short passes (7 yards or less) and rely less on the throws that are required for success in the NFL (15 yard in route, deep out, etc). That's why NFL scouts have struggled so much with translating the college spread QB to the NFL.

I think McCoy goes somewhere in round 2.

24. Rudy

Rudy Pumped for NCAA 11

25. Drifterbub

Featured Threads:
    To be fair, Harrel's arm strength was questionable enough for him to not even be drafted. Colt has below average arm strength, but its not like he throws like a girl.

I hate the comparison people make with Brees and McCoy. They are the same size and relatively same arm strength but Brees is the MOST accurate QB in the NFL (and therefore the world). That's like saying a kid coming out of college understands the game as well as Peyton Manning because he used to make the right audible calls all the time. Brees' accuracy is so good it makes him a pro bowl QB. Daunte Culpepper has the second highest completion rating for a college QB and we see how he turned out.