Colts escape in final seconds, head to Superbowl

Discussion in 'Game Summaries & Team News' started by thafuture3886, May 30, 2014.

1. thafuture3886

thafuture3886 Power Rankings Analyst

[​IMG]

In a game for the ages, the Colts came out victorious against a tough, gritty Ravens squad to advance to their second Superbowl appearance. These 2 teams are no strangers to meeting in the playoffs as they both met in season 2 with the Ravens completing a 21 point 2nd half comeback en route to their victory in the Superbowl. The Colts are hoping history will repeat itself as they move on to the Superbowl to face the Carolina Panthers.

The game would start out with the Ravens winning the toss and electing to receive. The Ravens would move the ball to the Colts side of the field before the Colts defense would step up. CB Cortez Allen would step in front of a Joe Flacco pass and take it 63 yards to the house for a 7-0 Colts lead. On the Ravens next possession the defense would step up again, this time it would be MLB KJ Wright picking Flacco off. The turnover would lead to a 1 yard run by Andrew Luck and the Colts were up 14-0 after the first. The 2nd quarter would be quiet, the Ravens would put the only points on the board with a 3 yard pass to backup TE Tony Moeaki. The Colts would find themselves with the ball in the red zone just before the half ended, but on 3rd down Luck would scramble out and thinking he was passed the LOS and attempting to slide he instead through a pass into double coverage in the endzone that would be picked off denying the Colts of at least a field goal.

The second half would provide all the action. Coming out of the half trying to put more points on the board backfired on the Colts when Luck would throw his 1st interception on the day. The Ravens would turn that turnover into points as they would drive down field and Flacco would find WR Caldwell wide open over the middle for a 12 yard score to tie the game. Luck would lead the troops right back down field and would eventually connect with backup TE Vance Mcdonald wide open over the middle for the 27 yard score. With their offense in a groove, the Ravens marched back down themselves and would tie the game on a 5 yard run by RB Madru to tie the game after 3 quarters.

The Colts would open the fourth quarter with a quick strike of their own. Luck would again connect with Mcdonald as he was all alone in the back of the defense for a 24 yard touchdown with 6 minutes left to go. The next Ravens drive would be methodical as Flacco would lead his team down the field. The Ravens would catch 2 big breaks on this drive. The first would be after TE Dennis Pitta would catch a pass near the sideline and forced to fumble on a big hit, with 3 Colts players around and no Ravens players the ball would be kicked out of bounds and the drive would continue. The next break would be when Torrey Smith would catch a pass at the 1 yard line of the Colts and also be forced to fumble but this time the ball would bounce right into the hands of RB Madru as they avoided another turnover. The Ravens would capitalize with a 2 yard run by FB Merchant to tie the game with 3 minutes left. Now here is where it gets interesting...

With just over 3 minutes left, the Colts were determined to make this the last drive of the game and if not they would try to use as much time as possible. The Colts would convert a few first downs while wasting as much as time as possible until they were faced with a 3rd and 10 near the Ravens 40 yard line. With Denarius Moore out with an injury, Luck would look for DHB who would be wide open over the middle for roughly a 20 yard game to keep the chains moving and most importantly the clock. With the ball now at the Ravens 40 the Colts wanted to just run the ball a couple times and get into field goal range. However, the Ravens defense would stop them on 1st down for a 2 yard loss and the plan had to change. The Colts would come out in a shotgun hoping to catch the defense off guard with a screen pass. In what may be the biggest blown coverage I've seen in this game, as the play developed Luck noticed the defense shading towards the RB on the screen and saw 2 wide receivers running down field all alone and threw the ball to DHB without a defender within 10 yards of him. DHB would hall in the 40 yard pass for the score and the 35-28 lead with 26 seconds left. Armed with all timeouts the Ravens still had a chance. With the Colts coming out in a prevent defense to stop the big play, the Ravens welcomed it as they moved the ball down field with 3 receptions to get into Colts territory at about the 35 yard line. With 8 seconds left, Flacco would get hit on a pass intended for Torrey Smith that was undercut by Cortez Allen but this time he dropped the pick and with 1 second left the Ravens had 1 more shot. For some reason I still cannot explain, the Colts opted to go into full prevent mode and it almost came back to haunt them as Flacco would be flushed out of the pocket to the right he would heave it to the endzone where Torrey Smith had to come back to catch the ball. Smith's momentum lead him out of the endzone so he can catch the ball and he would catch the ball at the 2 yard line before ultimately being gang tackled by Colts players and the Colts would escape by the skin of their teeth.

Josh Barnes GREAT GAME MAN! I felt like I was playing in that one with the way my heart was beating on that last play

• Like Like x 2
  2. LtJustice

LtJustice QSF Commissioner

Congrats Curtis! I definitely feel ya on regretting calling prevent D on the final play. I did the same damn thing, only mine cost me a win. I can still see my defenders standing in the back of the endzone while the receiver undercuts them at the goal line for the winning TD. Hindsight is always 20/20, lol.

Good luck in the Bowl!

• Like Like x 1
  3. thafuture3886

thafuture3886 Power Rankings Analyst

lmao yeah, I always scream at the tv when real NFL teams do it and I go and do the same thing :banghead:

• Like Like x 1
  4. Josh Barnes

Josh Barnes Walk On

thafuture3886

Heck of a game my man! My two early mistakes proved to be costly. Thought we both dodged several bullets (myself with the fumbles and then you with the two dropped picks on the game winning drive). We only played a few times, but I must say I enjoyed em

Thought for sure I had the TD on the last play. As soon as I threw the ball I said I GOT HIM, which I did but only to have him come back out of the endzone. lol

• Like Like x 1