Commish Notes

Discussion in 'The Tradition' started by Hellisan, Aug 21, 2012.

1. Hellisan

Hellisan Schemin 'em up

Heya

So as we head into our second season I apologize for sort of slowing my pace with things. I don't really know what to trace my malaise to. We have scouting, recruiting works good... I should be more into this than ever... right? Well hopefully I can resuscitate my interest in this game somehow or... I dunno. I don't "hate" the game I just find myself not being interested in putting the disc in the damn 360.

I have my mom flying in tomorrow evening. I will not be around all that much for a few days until she leaves next Tuesday. Will do my best to stay involved in the meantime from the work or whatever...

I got two issues I'd like to bring up here.

ISSUE 1: PUNCTUALITY - MaxATX34 you're being singled out here but this is a larger issue of some of our league growing up and some remaining young guys where time isn't so much of a factor or issue. And I think that we need to have some understanding between the two sides and a rule. We will continue to have issues where a freewheelin' single guy has a game scheduled against a guy with a newborn who has a tough time clearing an entire hour off his schedule. If you are running late it's very important to text the other guy in the league. It's getting to where half the league has kids now which really complicates the typical evening off. We want to spend time with our kids whenever we can, we want to have gaming time, we have to mix it in with chores and getting a little face time with the wife... For this reason, a working, charged up cell phone and texting people if you will be more than 15 minutes late is a must. I just cannot compromise on this issue any longer. To all league members, pease let me know if this precludes you from being able to participate in T1 henceforth.

If a person is 15+ minutes late and the other person hasn't heard anything, I will put the game on auto and have the person just play. Especially if we are nearing an advance. If the person prefers to wait that is on them, I cannot make them do it but at the very least they have a right to reschedule completely instead of playing right when the other person finally shows.

I think this issue of a dichotomy between our league and how we spend our free time is going to continue and expand. JMS will probably have kids someday soon as he just got married. Even you youngsters will eventually be getting hitched and knocking up the wiminz and we'll be adding young guys to fill voids in the league etc. Age gaps of 20 years and such are what we're already looking at and that can expand. As JMS pointed out I am as likely as anybody to get hurt by this rule if I take my old man nap due to my long commute and sleep through a game's start time... Oh well. If that happens, when I wake my dumb ass up, I will put myself on auto and it won't be the other person's choice.

ISSUE 2: STRAIGHT PLAY - I think we need to continually take honest looks in the mirror and analyze what we're doing. I got a message from a league member telling me he had too many sacks against the cpu last year and that he is going to back off blitzing so much. I really appreciated that. I think we need more of it. To all league members, please take another look at things like:

1) the position you're playing on D. Is it making things too easy? How does it compare to a cpu game or user/user game? Honest self-assessment is necessary here.

2) Style of offense. Seems some are overpowered. Time for more self-assessment. I'm not going to legislate at this time. If you're using a certain brand of offense "because it works" well... How well does it work? Too well? Maybe, maybe not... Maybe more seasons need to be played? It seems that the game this year has some great improvements but is rough around the edges... Certain settings seem to screw up the game... please don't use them if that is the case. I don't have enough data to go on about which ones yet but am hearing things... Like with the cpu constantly using aggressive zones and that leading to some long TD passes. I really don't know what can be done about that specifically because we can't tell people not to throw to the open guy (especially when they're jumping EVERYTHING short) but just in general... Honest self-assessment is appreciated and very valuable to me going forward. The more of it we do, the less I have to sit around dreaming up rules. That's the beauty of this group I think we have a good one.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2012
  2. jms493

jms493 Veteran Member

yes Sir!

[​IMG]

3. bravejaf

bravejaf Walk On

Read and Understand

Issue 1 - Never an issue with me, I always give myself a 30-60 minute buffer. If I say I'm available at 7 it usually means I could start near 6.

Issue 2 - Not an issue, aside from maybe the FCS games but that is based on the level of competition. I didn't win any major awards so I don't think I'm dominating with anyone on my mediocre squad.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Iron Mickey

Iron Mickey I'd take her out for some casadias

Well that's not good!

5. Hellisan

Hellisan Schemin 'em up

Yeah no shit sherlock :D

6. MaxATX34

MaxATX34 Texas Football

Sent PM to everyone with my new phone #

7. Gravity

Gravity Hey, I'm Batman

I am pretty easy to schedule games with. As far as gameplay goes. I still regularly get burnt by usering the MLB. It isnt like last year where you could get a hit stick every play. If there is anything I need to improve on it would be content. I am behind right now due to starting school this week. Once I get back into the routine I should be able to get caught up.

8. Ceewo

Ceewo Walk On

Suck it up Nancy.

• Like Like x 2
  9. Twister18

Twister18 I aint got time to bleed!

I will schedule anytime anywhere but prefer when I don't have to holler at the boys or if by a miracle, I am going to get some action, I'll gladly take the AP! :p

• Like Like x 2
  10. Papa Perry

Papa Perry Leeroy Jenkins!!!

I'll pay for Gravity a bus ticket to your house. I hear he has soft hands...

• Like Like x 2
  11. Gravity

Gravity Hey, I'm Batman

06da8c95953bd3435cefc5a9b91cb6d61580602241.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  12. MaxATX34

MaxATX34 Texas Football

Thats my middle school's gym! The shop teacher in Dazed and Confused was my actual shop teacher. :cool:

• Like Like x 1
  13. Hellisan

Hellisan Schemin 'em up

One more post from me for now... I held us up this last week and I apologize. I was playing MW3 last night... No excuse for that when a game in T1 needed to be played. The good news is I just played the best, most challenging cpu game in a long time where there were no easy passes deep due to bad zone play etc. I don't know if that's a permanent fix but it got me fired up. Had to work for everything and had a great time.
    would have been o.k. with a loss, as Notre Dame has a much better team. but we got the win somehow. Advancing now... I have my mom here till Tuesday but will try to get in my game with SMLS tonight or tomorrow whenever we can and I will be pressing people to play (being a hypocrite) as we get closer to the next advance.

• Like Like x 1