***Commissioner Address: Concerns Over Rules and Regulations***

Discussion in 'Quality Simulation Football' started by LtJustice, Feb 9, 2014.

1. LtJustice

LtJustice QSF Commissioner

Gentlemen,

It has come to my attention, in light of recent events, that there appear to be some concerns or perceptions in regards to certain rules and regulations and my own role in determining said policies. I want to be as transparent as possible, because I now know that it is indeed on some of your minds.

It has become apparent that some members may feel as though that I have catered the league rules and regulations to my own preferences, to better suit my team and my play style. While I can certainly understand some having that perception, all I can simply say is that it couldn't be further from the truth.

My intention has always been to make any decisions with the best interest of the entire league in mind, and I feel like that is how we have conducted business thus far. Any time a rule is being discussed between Doug, Michael, and myself, we always discuss the benefits and repercussions for the league as a whole and try to make an informed decision based on that.

Clearly one of the first issues to come to light has been the read option rule and that it appears to benefit myself and Michael, who have Russell Wilson and Cam Newton respectively. To say that we would create such a rule solely to give ourselves an advantage couldn't be further from the truth. This rule was discussed and decided upon when we started receiving complaints of "non-mobile" quarterbacks running the read option. We decided that we couldn't completely ban a play that was a big part of the current NFL landscape, but we could restrict it to those QBs that would most realistically do it on a regular basis in real life. The fact of my own QB being mobile or not never entered the equation in my decision making. We made the rule that made the most sense to us, taking all things into consideration.

The other issue that has recently come about is with regards to the draft and the tendency of Doug, Michael, and myself, to accumulate high draft picks. To this I will say that none of what we have done here was assisted by our position within the league. We make offers and make legitimate trades like anyone else. I can personally say that I have had 10x as many offers turned down, as I have had accepted, if not more. I have said before that I think the same obsession that makes us crazy enough to assume the thankless job of leadership is what drives our draft successes. As far as realism, nothing about our drafts overall are realistic, from teams trading away whole drafts to taking projected 5th rounders in the top 10, we can only make sure that anything happening is on the level.

I will be perfectly honest here, I continue doing this as much for everyone else as I do for myself. There have been times when I question my decision, based on the amount of time and emotional investment required. I don't get off on the "power trip" of being commissioner, as quite frankly at times I would love nothing more than to be able to just focus on being an owner. I love the game and I love this league, but there are definitely times when I don't need the headaches the role begets.

For anyone to suggest that I cater rules to benefit myself or the rest of league management, I would suggest they don't know me at all. Winning has always been secondary to me. I have never needed the validation of a good team to justify my time spent on Madden. I have always been more concerned with having fun and enjoying a good chess match, win or lose.

If anyone still has any concerns, I would encourage you to speak to me directly. I am always open to honest conversation and am more than happy to further explain my side of things to anyone that is interested. I know some of you barely know me, outside of being the league commissioner, but I assure you I am very level headed and have no problem discussing any topic. I am not some hot head that is going to bark at you or hold a grudge because you question something. My door is always open (so to speak).

Thanks,

~Jim
    QSF Commissioner

Aaron (Hulk_hagen_55 )
    Alex (Ninersfan80)
    Avery (AveryB)
    Carl T. (CTfromDC)
    Chris (CSteud)
    Curtis (thafuture3886)
    Danny (DJDunn6)
    Dave (saintsdave75)
    Doug (CHUNKNESS)
    Eddie (pittrocks43)
    Eric (Easy Dez It)
    Glen (Glen Cieske)
    Heath (heathh)
    James M. (cry_havoc)
    James Y. (Phenom)
    Jeremy (Jeremy)
    Jim (LtJustice)
    Jon (Warhawk AKA dreadman)
    Josh (Josh Barnes)
    Karim (@karim)
    Kris (Coach KO)
    Lawon (MrWitness36)
    Loren (ThaBayouChef)
    Michael O. (Michael Overman)
    Mike A. (Miki1369)
    Moe (CaptMoe)
    Pope (dablakpope)
    Reis (Mugga)
    Rob (PepperNY)
    T.J. (klaximilian)
    Troy (redlishus)

• Like Like x 2
  2. klaximilian

klaximilian Walk On

Just for clarity, this isn't a "town-hall meeting" kind of post, and you'd prefer private YIM conversations regarding any concerns?

3. LtJustice

Quite honestly I am fine either way. But this is not intended to turn into a debate over rules or policies and I will not air out any "dirty laundry" publicly.

4. CaptMoe

CaptMoe Walk On

Thanks Jim.
    This issue with trades comes up every year in my Fantasy Football league. Guys will complain because the commish is in the playoffs every year and how stacked his team is. And my response is always the same: Stop trading with the guy if you don't like to see him there every season.
    So, for those who don't like the draft strategy being used by you and some of the others I say: don't hate the player, hate the game. It takes 2 teams to complete a trade, right?

• Like Like x 3
  5. ThaBayouChef

ThaBayouChef Walk On

I traded Jim my number 4 overall pick in the last draft for a 11, 13, and 35 overall. Was it a fair trade, yes. Did I care that he already had x amount of top picks, no. Why? Because I'm not worried about his team, I'm solely focused on mine and trying to get better. Something everyone here should be focused on. I don't get the bitching about draft picks. All I can say is stop actin like a lil girl, man up for once, and take responsibility for your own team if you can't build a winner. Too much female activity going on in this release.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 3
  6. dablakpope

dablakpope Walk On

There are 3 teams I don't trade with, not because I have an issue with them personally or the amount of high draft picks they have. I don't because they are what I consider the evil empire. They are always putting together excellent teams. Now I have had to make trades with these guys on occasion but I didn't enjoy it. Lol! They are Curtis, Doug, and Jim.

• Like Like x 2
  7. CaptMoe

CaptMoe Walk On

Yea man, that's my point. No need giving someone any ammo.
    I might have to add Michael to that list after he hoodwinked me into trading him a 1st rounder that ended up being #6 overall. He must've known my Cowboy team was gonna tank the sim season!!!

8. thafuture3886

thafuture3886 Power Rankings Analyst

LMAO! How did i get into this??

I'd welcome any high draft picks though! :D

9. klaximilian

klaximilian Walk On

Hahaha... The Evil Empire.

I don't recall Curtis having a top 10 pick this release yet.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Warhawk AKA dreadman

Warhawk AKA dreadman Walk On

Hey... I've traded away future 1st round picks because of players that fit my needs.... I always say that "them boyz" sure do know how to acquire them picks! That's a part of the game!

We arent the NFL.... we just try to run in a sim league! As my man CaptMoe said, "don't hate the player, hate the game. It takes 2 teams to complete a trade, right?" The thing is... Jim.. Doug and Michael.. even TJ and whoever else are willing to give up the talent to get those 1st round picks. They give up the players that are high 80's... 90's with great attributes. They take the risk of giving up some of their best player(s) on their roster to draft a guy... i see nothing wrong with that.

I didnt plan on being some shit this cycle of madden.. it just happened that way.. LoL.. so my traded away 1st round pick(s) are always guaranteed to be top 10!

• Like Like x 1
  11. thafuture3886

• Like Like x 1
  12. Warhawk AKA dreadman

Warhawk AKA dreadman Walk On

LLS.. u keep playing like you doing... u might get a top 10 without my help... LoL

• Like Like x 3
  13. thafuture3886

I know! But i need 2! lmao

• Like Like x 1
  14. Jeremy

Jeremy The ONLY 2 time OMFL CHampion!!!!

I am going to be completely honest and say I do disagree with the strategy of any team repeatedly acquiring multiple top 10 draft picks year after year after year. To me, that is unsim as in-game rule breaking and even-though its technically not against any rules sometimes its better to not set that kind of precedent.

"Just because you can doesn't always mean you should" applies to not only in game strategy but also team management.

• Like Like x 2
  15. LtJustice

I can understand your feeling that way Jeremy. But, I would have to wholeheartedly disagree that collecting draft picks is even in the same ballpark as breaking rules in the game. I am not disagreeing that it is unsim, but I can't begin to compare it to actually breaking game play rules that are in place.

My feelings about acquiring draft picks are not self centered, I would feel the same way regardless of who were the owners accumulating picks. As far as league management setting a precedent, I think that is only a concern if they were to be doing something that they didn't want the the general community doing. If a member of management breaks a rule or practice they prohibit, then yes it would set a bad precedent. We do not have a restriction on accumulating picks, in fact quite the contrary, so the precedent in this regard is I would encourage any and everyone to acquire any picks they can.

Obviously sim game play and sim team management are two different things. We strive for game play as sim as posible, but team management will never be completely sim. Quite frankly, if we wanted to be "sim" with team management, we might as well ban blockbuster trades all together too. When it comes to team management restrictions, the major policies are in place to stop anyone from taking advantage of the CPU (free agent contracts being a main example).

Again, I am not interested in debating rules or restrictions here (anyone can hit me up personally to do so), but I felt I should expand on my reasoning and beliefs with regards to the concerns Jeremy brought up.

16. Glen Cieske

Glen Cieske Walk On

I think the accumulating early draft picks would be a problem if the trades were being made with the CPU and not USERS.

FFS guys demand more for those top 10 picks and those that want them may think twice about trading with you!

• Like Like x 1
  17. Hulk_hagen_55

Hulk_hagen_55 Hulkamaniac

to many that may feel the draft issues are unsim, however, if you had someone calling your own team management shots other than yourself that wouldnt be fair either. not allowing a team to jockey to the best of their ability in the draft should be expected of everyone! to NOT jockey for position is not sim. as for maybe the number of picks maybe that could be limited, but then you take away the ability for owners to trade seasonal draft picks due to personal scheduling, a goodwill gesture to others in the league. To say that anyone mentioned sofar is a "Cheater" is not fair nor warranted. *as to rules catering.. umm what? 9/10 of these rules have been in place and not argued and you agreed to them whenever you joined. if you strongly disagree with something you are not held captive here, and in fact if you are able to provide valid statements and proof backing up your arguement against such rules they are obviosuly looked at and taken into consideration. i myself have only mentioned 1-3 things this release cycle and all have been dealt with quite promptly.

That being said, i am unsure of what happened with Juan even with the posts detailing such, but i feel as though i just saw 2 long time friends (all of QSF staff(cept you michael ;)) and juan were both there when i first joined if i remember right) split and burn one big bridge between each other, and i hope that none of us have to see more of our friends leave for whatever reason.

• Like Like x 3
  18. Michael Overman

Michael Overman Walk On

32 Owners 32 Opinions/Personalities

Being commissioner is sadly often a thankless job. I've had the great privilege of knowing Doug and Jim, and many of you great owners for the last two years now. Prior to that, I have been a member of madden Sim leagues since xbox and memory transfer kits (10 years+). I have participated at all levels from brand new member to Commish of the league. I am familiar with how well run leagues are formed and operated at all levels. Throughout the Madden online journey I've also encountered poorly run leagues.

I can say with the utmost certainty that the amount of care, attention to detail, forward thinking, availability, and respect...I've encountered with the way Doug and Jim run a league...is parallel to none. If you wanted someone to work in or run your organization, you would want them. Nothing is decided in haste or without reproach or conversation. The contact with all owners and prospective owners remains civilized and cordial at all times…with a common goal of maintaining and advancing “The Q”. While there certainly is plenty that goes on behind the scenes (you’ll never know), this league does remain transparent for league members. You are aware of what the rules are, and what is asked of you as an owner. I for one, certainly hope that a strong majority if not all owners are increasingly enjoying your time in the Q. This successful endeavor has allowed 32 owners to maintain and experience the same league experience they would have at the start of the season…but we are now in February post real football season. I’m encouraged by the state of affairs of the Q. I look forward to continuing league wide games, discussions, banter, progression…and more.

• Like Like x 5