Commissioner's Address

Discussion in 'The Experience' started by Masler, Oct 8, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Masler

Masler Moderator

The Experience

After the last three seasons some things have been on my mind. Not going to leave this thread open for discussion as you will see below.

First off I would like each of you to evaluate me as your Commish. I know there are more than likely some things that I could do better or less of. So if you wouldn't mind PMing answers to the following questions I would appreciate it. And be honest. I can handle some constructive criticism.

1) Is there anything you would like to see me change?
    2) Is there anything you want to see stay the same?
    3) What is your overall, general impression of this league and what can we do to improve the tensions around here?
    4) Anything else?

After I get all of your answers I'll make a post with the most common and concerning answers and how I intend to handle them.

Now, I will give my general impression as of late. Some of you take this game WAY too seriously. There is some degree of borderline play/cheese in EVERY game. Unless it directly affects the outcome of the game BLATANTLY then I really don't want to hear about it. Fmode and I played our game last season where I he called a timeout to ice me, then I called a timeout and called a pass play. He was out of timeouts and called me out on it. It looked bad but I called another timeout for fear of not scoring and went back to to attempt the FG, I was STILL iced, so just wait and see the outcome before jumping down someone's throat.

I am playing referee here and it's driving me nuts. We are all grown men here and you guys can't solve issues without involving me? I have no problems helping solve a problem but last season it felt like every week! We should NOT have rules for damn near everything. For example, I know of leagues that don't give a damn about how you change Game Strategy and personally neither do I. They don't really give you THAT much of an advantage because you get an equally big disadvantage.

We are a Premier League here and we have a high standard to follow, so starting doing it. Not going to name names here, but I've talked to several of you about things during and after games. Some things I have told you to stop abusing them and use them in more of a sim manner and I know you have not taken my advice. If you are wondering if that is you, then I suggest you start paying closer attention to your gameplay and playcalling. Think to yourself, would I find this questionable if it were run against me? I'm not saying change the entire way you play I just believe a few have formed habits that need to be broken.

I hope we can become THE model Premier League on this site and get along more. It shouldn't come down to people ignoring each other and throwing forum fists this much. I know one conference is going to flare tempers, but it should be more of a debate than arguing like hormonal women. I'd like to see content up, I don't like policing game summaries. Premier League members shouldn't need a nudge. I'll end this by saying if you don't have Premier status on the website, get it. Kind of a big requirement.

• Like Like x 3
  2. Masler

Masler Moderator

The Experience

From the messages I have received I think you guys are misunderstanding what I mean and this is exactly the opposite of what I was looking for.

I am looking for an evaluation of ME as a commish and what we can do to IMPROVE the league overall as a group. Instead all I have gotten so far is people complaining and pointing fingers at specifics. This proves that those who have responded didn't read what I said, don't care what I said, want to bitch or a combination of the three.

Please follow the questions I wrote and give me detailed answers. One message was ONE sentence long without any direct answers to the questions I asked.....seriously?

• Like Like x 2
  3. Masler

Masler Moderator

The Experience

I only got like four or five responses when I asked people to evaluate me as a commissioner. But then the whole Gameplay PM was started and I'll just let it slide (as in you aren't required to do it). But here is what I did get and my thoughts/reactions to them. My response with me italicized. And yeah some of the answers are going to immediately expose who wrote them but oh well, you knew this was going public.

• PM #1

1) I posted in the Playbook section I will be running out of the shotgun. For gameplay I'm just gonna go with flow and do as others do in my games. Other than that like to see advances move a little faster.

Doing something because someone else does it do not justify you doing it. If it is blatant cheese they are doing, then you are just subjecting yourself to the same criticism. If your opponent were to complain then I would have to issue you the same punishment I would to him, it's only fair since you stooped to that level. As for advances, 48 hours are fast enough, many of us have a busy life and forcing 11 people to play every 24 hours is tough to do since many of us either have school or work 2nd shift.

• PM #2

No, I am content with how you are handling things now.

I don't things would change if tried but I am always open to new ideas.

3) What is your overall, general impression of this league and what can we do to improve the tensions around here?

Boot Jello - El Captain Dbag

4) Anything else?

Nope

All I have to say about this one was...was the name calling necessary? I told you this would be public eventually. Takes one to know one eh?

• PM #3
    I don't complain but my only thought.
    Did Wes Brown win an 88 ovr Maryland team a title?
    Or is that system just unstoppable and his new HB will be just as dominant?
    Is Wes Brown a god or is shotgun run just so OP it can win you titles with any HB?
    I am not sure either way but starting to wonder, we will see how his new HB does vs users.

This was nothing but a complaint to me, didn't help me at all on how I am doing as commish. We all know running is overpowered this year but there are ways to be sim about it and ways to stop it. I rarely get 100 yards on the ground vs users so it is stoppable.

• PM #4

First off, I will say that you have an extremely difficult job commishing this league. There are quite a few abrasive personalities that will probably be at each other for the entire cycle. I do not envy the task of attempting to keep them civil.

Maybe loosening the rules will alleviate some of the tensions. Currently, there may be a perception that some people play by a certain set of rules, while others can do whatever they want with no punishment. Also, I'm certain that all 11 people don't completely agree what is considered "cheese". If the rules are going to stay similar, please stay consistent. ie: Allowing one person to run a defense that was not allowed before, while not opening that option to other players looks bad or allowing the person that runs no huddle to dictate the rules of how no huddle is played in the league looks bad.

Overall, the league has been a good experience. I will support whatever changes you make, as long as everyone is held to the same standard and the standards are enforced.

I like the current format, outside of scheduling really difficult computer games outside of conference. I think if more people made bowl games, it may help with some of the tension.

Finally a legit response. Yes being commish is NOT easy. I don't try to force people to like each other but we need to all at least get along to a certain point. I totally agree that some rules need to be loosened and I felt I was forced to implement some of them due to people complaining, being consistent will need to improve for sure. A very good point was made it this response and as a way to better myself I will become more consistent, everyone WILL be held to the same standard whether you are new to this league or have been here since it started. For example, do your game summaries...some of you Vets need to be setting an example. People making bowl games are really their own problem as well, they want a bowl, they need to play better. I've played like crap for two seasons and it's showed.

• PM #5
    Here're my main problems with the league.

First and foremost it's easily the lack of content. This ranges from mandatory things like game recaps and team previews to extra additional content.
    Just looking at recent history there's no CCG recap, only 4 bowl game recaps, and only 4 team previews. That's really, really sad. Also, I think only about half of the league updates the recruit tracker.
    As for extra stuff we don't have much at all. I think all we have is:
    • Almanac
    • E-League awards (the commish has enough to do already, we need content from OTHERS)
    • User game pickem (see above)
    • Hova used to track the best user recruits which could be a cool thing, but I think he dropped that after 1 season.
    • Hopefully UofC will keep his video updates going. He doesn't show anything that I don't already look at, but I'm sure others don't look at all that and it's cool to hear someone else's take on things.
    Essentially we've got 3 people doing content now (I'm not counting Hova there since he seems to have dropped it) and all 3 of them are guys that've been with the league for at least 3 years. None of the newer guys are contributing much (it also seems like most of the missing recaps are from newer guys as well).

The 2nd thing that bugs me is the constant flame wars in the forums. I don't pay much attention outside of the league but I imagine we must be the laughing stock of the site and I'd imagine there are people that read our forums just to be entertained by the bitching that goes on. I realize that I am definitely one of the top 3 offenders with this and I'm trying my best to cut it out completely.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

CONTENT:
    I don't know how well mandatory content would go over with the league (and I think it's retarded that a premiere league would even need to have something like this) but you could start enforcing more content. I think it should start with your 3 strike policy getting back in full force to at LEAST get people to do their recaps. Guys like myself and UofC can definitely get long winded and the rest don't need to be nearly as long, but they need to be doing SOMETHING. Freaking NT just won his first B1G championship and it doesn't even warrant a short paragraph?

While you probably shouldn't force extra content, we need to try to get more stuff going. I like Hova's best recruit idea and would like to see him pick that back up. Unless you really wanna do the pick'em and award winners, you should ask if anyone else (ideally a newer guy) would like to take those up. Maybe see if anyone else has an idea for something new they'd like to add.

FORUM WARS:
    I think you really need to crack the whip here and make sure that we start taking our beefs to PMs. You can probably just add forum bashes/bitch sessions to your 3 strike policy or something, but we really need to cut this stuff out. (Hopefully the forums won't dry up completely without the license to bitch and moan all the time :D ).

I think everything else is pretty fine.

I don't follow other leagues, but I got the distinct impression that last year we were 1 of the top 2 leagues (with the Deuce) and this year I'd bet that we are THE top league. I think with a 1 league setup there's always gonna be tension. You probably can't fix that. "His SG running game beat me so it's cheese." "His 3-3-5 defense beat me so it's cheese." "I lost on an out route so he cheesed me." etc, etc. I just think we need to try to keep that bitching out of the public domain.

4) Anything else?
    I don't envy you even a little bit. When JC left, he offered me the commish job and I told him "thank you, but no thank you" because I didn't want to have to deal with the headaches that I know you're currently going through. I'm sure it wasn't even nearly as bad then as we seem to have a lot more clashing types of personalities this year than we've ever had in the E. I wouldn't wish your job on my worst enemy and I GREATLY appreciate all the work you do for this league (and even though you probably never hear that I'd bet that all of the legacy E-League guys feel the same way). I think you're doing a great job given the number of type A personalities we have here and it sucks that it's now more of a babysitting job, but there's not much you can do about that now.

I hope many of you took the time to read this one like I did, in fact I read it a couple of times. I have always been a big person for content and I've always tried to lead by example with some type of content. I usually write my summaries IMMEDIATELY after the game while it's fresh in mind. So forgive me for not understanding why it's so tough to do a paragraph write it right after the game or at least the day after. I think all of you check the forums once a day, so you don't have 5-10 minutes to write a summary? I only have one type of mandatory content and I have to babysit even that.

The Forums Wars, at this point, have calmed down a lot. But the fact remains, if you have an issue with anyone, please take it to PM. The boards are no place for a War and I agree that I feel like some people outside the league check our forum daily just to see who is arguing, not good.

Final Note: I hope you guys read these but I doubt it since I only got 5/11 responses so I got left hanging by 6 of you. And 3/5 that did respond didn't take it seriously enough to give me a legit answer. Yep, I'm pretty disappointed.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2013
    • Like Like x 7
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.