competitive recruiting

Discussion in 'Locker Room' started by TRudethaDude, Jul 26, 2009.

1. TRudethaDude

TRudethaDude Walk On

competitive recruiting

has anyone "mastered" or even found that it works. on my offline dynasty everytime i recruit against a school they seem to sign with the other school within a week or two. maybe i just dont get it or maybe it just SUCKS!

2. Hellisan

Hellisan Schemin 'em up

I'm not 100% certain but I think the best way to use it is against teams that have A, A+ ratings at something that you suck at. You "downplay" that item and it postively affects their outlook on your school. If you go to negative recruiting and you hit something that is important to the recruit that you're not good at but the other team is, you'll see the little +10 shit popping up.

More useful with a crappy school than with a good one.

3. TRudethaDude

TRudethaDude Walk On

ok. ive been looking at the pitches ive unlocked that the other school has a low rating in and trying to use it against them.

4. Mallard Muscle

Mallard Muscle Blue Chip Prospect

5. Newb Slice

Newb Slice Walk On

its utterly impossible to recruit against teams like USC,texas,FSU etcc they gave up way too many A+ this year to start

6. Maynard

Maynard Banned

see this makes the most sense to me. But that post at NCAA Strategy makes it sound like you look for something the school your against does poorly in, but is important to the recruit. Like saying hey....they suck at this but it matters to you

7. jello1717

jello1717 "Those who stay will be champions." -- Bo

This is the biggest problem with effing competitive recruiting. So far, noone knows how it works. Half the people say you want green "+" numbers while the other half say you need red "-" numbers.

I wish EA would tell us how it works.

8. CaddilacRockBox

CaddilacRockBox 3 Star Recruit

I'm pretty positive you need the negative numbers since you get plus' when you're doing recruiting for your school.

9. jello1717

The main confusing part about that (if true) is that the bar with all of those negative numbers flying by has your school's name on it instead of the one your're recruiting against.

10. Newb Slice

Newb Slice Walk On

you need negative FOR SURE because it fills the bar up and i did it last week against a lower school and moved ahead of them and you will notice more of a result if you negative recruit the team ahead of you instead of the #1 team on his list when you are #4 etc

11. TRudethaDude

TRudethaDude Walk On

yeah it is negative numbers. when i have recruited against a team my cell phone face starts to smile. that shows u are doing it right. i tend to look at what the recruit likes... i.e. very high and most and if the school im recruiting against is rated lower than my school then i will try to "competitive recruit" that way. the only problem is i havent seen it put me ahed of a school. and it definately didnt stop them from the soft verbal they were on as they still sign shortly after with that team.

12. jello1717

I'm not saying that you're wrong, but I'm just pointing out that, on this subject, there seems to be an equal number of people who are positive that you want "+"s and people who are positive that you need "-"s.

From over here on OS.
    and for confirmation:

13. Hellisan

Hellisan Schemin 'em up

The really sad thing is that the prima guide doesn't say anything about it either.

I mean, even a 2 year old can figure out that the reason EA's manuals are several levels below what would qualify as dogshit, is because they have an agreement to help Prima sell the game manuals at an astounding 19.99 a pop. But the manual sheds no light on this, whatsoever.

14. MurkYa21

MurkYa21 Walk On

I would say negative numbers are good. siiiiiiiiigh...prolly shouldn't say anything, but here are my observations..

you can't down play on every school, or sometimes at all.

It needs to be a pitch that your school is good at and the recruit is very interested in.
    ex) academic prestige - A+, interest - Very High

Now, you are going to want to down play a school who's academic prestige is low...DOESN'T THAT MAKE SENSE? If another schools academic prestige is an A...lol..what would you think as a recruit if a school told you their academics weren't good..

So in this case, you would want to down play a school with C or less academics..

now obviously, when you get to the elite programs, everyone's pitches are going to be very good. So, things like "playing time", "coach prestige", etc are what you will be looking to downplay.

15. jms493

jms493 Veteran Member

I have been using it.......seems to work well. Yeah negative numbers

16. Maynard

Maynard Banned

i agree on negetive number.
    ..reason is that i have only seen + numbers with my recruits and everytime they get pissed and usually hang up on me. I only saw - numbers once and it was me just screwed around

17. Basis4aDay56

Basis4aDay56 Walk On

Negative numbers are good. They get pissed and hang up with positive numbers because you are actually hurting your cause, not because "no one likes a trash talker". That is just silly.

18. jms493

jms493 Veteran Member

Whats silly is that EA doesnt bother to explain this. Would it be so hard to put a pop up message explaining quickly what is happening or a help message.

They probably couldn't fit it into the time cycle. I mean we CAN'T be the only ones sitting there scratching our heads saying "What is going on here, it is working??"

here is a quote from a fortune cookie:

"Common Sense is instinct, enough of it is genius"

19. jkhaalis991

jkhaalis991 Back in The Deuce...been gone too long.

I agree. I'm surprised EA didn't included a "how to" section in their instruction manual. I like the idea of downplaying another school, but I think it could have been done better & more str8 forward.

20. H22APWRD94

H22APWRD94 RG3 Bandwagon

I have not played with the negative recruiting much, so I would not consider my input to have any merit. But aside from that, maybe the recruiting advisor has something to say about it? Yet maybe another way that EA has screwed with us? Make us pay for more instructions?

Mike

21. jello1717

Those of you who say that it works, are you finding it efficient (IE. more efficient than normal recruiting?

I've played with this some and it doesn't seem very effective to me. I've tried getting high green numbers and I've tried getting high red numbers. What follows is assuming that we want the red numbers, which if correct, is confusing at best. The name above the bar with the numbers flying past has my school's name on it instead of the school I'm recruiting against, so it looks like red numbers mean I'm losing interest in my school since it says it's my school's interest bar.

I took Michigan and found some 1* kid to recruit. I recruited against North Texas (not very fair to the poor North Texas program, but I'm just testing stuff). I found his "most" pitch and NT had either a D or a D+ rating in that so this is the most advantageous negative recruiting will likely ever get. All I got were a series of -3 for this pitch, which is the best case scenario for negative recruiting. The negative recruiting numbers come more frequently than normal recruiting, but the magnitude of the normal ones are higher. For just a "Very High", "A" rating, I was getting +14 per tick. In any given time, I could get more positive movement for my school than I could get negative movement for another school, so it seems like a waste of time that I could spend recruiting for me instead.

Now, this was as Michigan. Maybe as a smaller school, you won't be able to get +14s, but you can still get -3s. If so, then maybe there is a range where negative recruiting helps you more (against that 1 school, but not against the other 8) than just recruiting for yourself (which helps you against all 9 other schools).

So I'll give an example with some made up numbers. For starters, it's a lot easier to positively recruit because that makes my recruit happy while I've found that negative recruiting (and getting "-3"s") pisses him off. Because of this, I can positively recruit for over an hour while a recruit can't be negatively recruited for that long without positive recruiting as well to keep him happy. Secondly, here are the potential numbers, assuming that the recruit stays happy long enough:
    Total time: X
    Positive recruiting only: +70 for me
    Negative recruiting only: -60 against some school.
    Now even if those magnitudes were equal (which I have been unable to achieve), positive recruiting would still be better in my eyes. If I positively recruit, I add 70 to my bar which improves me with respect to all 9 of the other teams on his list. Let's say that the other 9 teams also gained 70. That means that we all stayed the same relative to each other. If I negatively recruit, I only gain 70 against the team I'm doing it to while it gains me nothing against the other 8 teams on his list. Again, if they all gain 70, then I didn't get any closer to the team I recruited against since his +70 and my -70 cancel each other out. Because of this, I'm simply keeping pace with him, just like if we both positively recruited. But, I have now lost ground to the other 8 teams since they all gained interest while I did not.

So, has anyone found it to be more useful to use competitive recruiting instead of normal recruiting?

22. Maynard

Maynard Banned

for some reason, out of all the info i have read, this guys babbling made the most sense to me. Please note he is a WSU fan and hates UW

23. Maynard

Maynard Banned

i did some testing on this and potato is 100% correct.

when done correctly i saw the - numbers, plus the recruit made a comment at the top of the screen that was obviously based on him being "sold" on the downplay option