computer help, over my head.... :(

Discussion in 'The Cheap Seats' started by BDSDIGITAL, Dec 29, 2010.

1. BDSDIGITAL

BDSDIGITAL One Time for your Mind

Ok, so I got the blue screen of death on my Sony Vaio laptop on Friday.

I haven't really worked on it until today so I'm just now looking into it today.

My problem evidently is with the iastor.sys driver. It is instructing me to disable the bios memory and try again.

I did disable the bios and it hasn't shut down yet but over the course of the day today it has run for 5 minutes and shut down, and it has run for an hour plus before giving me the stop error, so that leads me to believe it's not a totally fucked driver but maybe just a damaged one. ? but I'm not sure. Also the windows explorer isn't working properly since I started getting the stop errors on Friday....? Using the windows explorer or internet explorer and having it shut down on me several times seems to be the trigger to get the system to shut down, but again I'm not sure, that just might be a coincidence.

I'm more of a networking guy, not really a hardware guy. I can't do a system restore because there are no past restore points? I am 99% sure there were restore points being saved periodically. I called Sony Tech support and they want $129 to fix it over the phone, which I could do, but I'd much rather figure out why it is doing what it's doing and save the $. However, if I can't figure it out by Sunday I'll bite the bullet and pay to have it fixed as I need it for work Monday.

I know there are a bunch of guys here much smarter than me when it comes to these things. Anyone else had this specific issue? If so, how did you fix it?

note: I hopefully will be picking up the original discs that came with the laptop on friday. Might my answer be there?

2. Shaun Mason

Shaun Mason Somebody you used to know.

Featured Threads:
  3. BDSDIGITAL

I assumed that would be the best fix, but I'm not sure which driver specifically it is. I believe it would be the matrix storage manager, but then again I don't know enough to know if that's correct or not. I also couldn't find a driver named "iastor.sys" that's what kind of worries me. Or are they somewhat interchangeable if you know exactly what process they run?

4. Shaun Mason

Featured Threads:
    It is a storage controller driver. Hard drive?

5. BDSDIGITAL

I'm not exactly sure. I think it's a storage driver from everything I've read but I am not sure.

6. GSUtiger

GSUtiger GEAUX TIGERS!!

can you get in to back up all your data? if so just back it up to a external harddrive..then if you comp came with a system restore disk run it then put everything back on it..that's all SONY will do over the phone except back up your information..for that they will charge another fee.. so it's not even worth it

7. BDSDIGITAL

yeah I can get into it fine. It's a crap shoot how much time I'll have. Thanks for the suggestion.

8. thatguy188

thatguy188 You know ... THAT guy.

I guess your using a RAID configuration, or no?

9. thatguy188

10. BDSDIGITAL

that's pretty helpful thanks.

I'm starting to think that re installing the iastor driver would be the right fix. I am 99% sure it is in fact an intel driver so I guess what I would really need to do is go through the intel download link and find the iastor drive to download. Does that sound right to you guys? It seems my system is much more stable than those of others that are having issues based on everything I've read, so that does lead me to believe that there probably isn't a more serious underlying problem.

11. BDSDIGITAL

I'm not sure. I believe so, but I don't know.

12. thatguy188

13. BDSDIGITAL

the multi language or the english only?

and why this driver? I would love to know how to determine that kind of thing.

14. thatguy188

Well the iastor.sys is part of the Intel Matrix Storage Manager ... re-installing the latest version can never hurt and will probably repair the broken iastor.sys file (or at least we can hope).

And you'd be ok with english only ... unless of course you feel like doing your install in spanish or something :p

15. BDSDIGITAL

ok, that's what I needed to know right there. So you're saying re installing the entire matrix storage manager would replace the damaged sys file? that's awesome man, thanks for your help. I definitely owe yall one. :thumbsup:

16. thatguy188

Thats what I am thinking. Because from what you're describing, and I am reading up on, that file is corrupted. That file is associated with the Matrix Storage Driver. Re-installing it will remove all files, and then re-install them brand new. Hopefully that'll do the trick.

17. Drifterbub

Drifterbub Help me hide a body?

Featured Threads:
    You are using RAID on a laptop? Seems unlikely. Unless of course Sony did something really stupid (wouldn't surprise me) and sold a laptop with two separate hard drives.

18. Shaun Mason

Featured Threads:
    Maybe RAID 1?

19. thatguy188

If he doesn't reply soon Ima start feeling bad lol.

20. BDSDIGITAL

ha ha, no I haven't done it yet. I have been out all day. I do plan on doing it this weekend though so I'll be sure to let you know.

@ Drifter. I don't know a ton about hardware and stuff, but I can't see any need to have 2 hard drives in a notebook like that.

21. BDSDIGITAL

Just so you know:

I did download the matrix driver pack and still got the crash.

I think I ended up fixing it by doing some other steps that I found online. Mostly un installing some programs, running a registry cleaner, etc.

I hate to say it's fixed for sure, because you never really know until it crashes again, but it hasn't crashed since Saturday morning while I have been using it for normal purposes.

So fingers crossed!

Thanks for the suggestions though guys! I really appreciate it.

22. thatguy188

Thats good to hear! Yeah figuring out computer problems remotely is always challenging. I hope its working for ya now though!