Computer Upgrade

Discussion in 'The Cheap Seats' started by thatguy188, Jan 29, 2011.

1. thatguy188

thatguy188 You know ... THAT guy.

I'd appreciate any kind of feedback you guys could give me as far as what I should upgrade this year (I put my yearly spending limit at $400-$500)

Here is what I CURRENTLY have:

AMD Phenom II x3 710 (triple core, 2.6GHz)
    3GB DDR3 Ram
    XFX nVidia 9800 GT
    750W Corsair PSU
    old old thermaltake case (some buttons etc broken on it)
    Gigabyte GA785GT-UD3H motherboard

now while thinking what I should upgrade, I've put together the following list:

http://secure.newegg.com/WishList/PublicWishDetail.aspx?WishListNumber=19187947

What do you guys think? Should I replace anything on there for something else?

Thanks!

2. Keller

Keller The enemy of my enemy is my friend.

Video card should be at the top of your list. 9800GT is what I have and my machine is 2 yrs old.

3. thatguy188

Well I don't really play games on my computer though, thats why I thought about upgrading that next year .....

4. Wick36

Wick36 Welcome to the Jungle

5. thatguy188

Made some adjustments. Different Case (same price as before) and removed the 2 fans due to the new case.

Also only added 1 GB of ram (instead of 8) to make my total to 4 gigs, should be enough for a while.

Video Card will come next year though. A new case is def my #1, and I've always wanted a Black Edition AMD CPU to tinker with ;)

6. Drifterbub

Drifterbub Help me hide a body?

Featured Threads:
    The Gigabyte -U3DH mobo is a good board that I use in my home PC. The onboard graphics and sound are capable of handling A LOT. I'm running 4 GB on a quad core AMD2+ 3.0 ghz.

Honestly it depends on what you want to do whether you will see any benefits of your upgrades. If you aren't doing heavy gaming, CAD, or rendering then I you really don't need a 9600GT. If you want to watch blu rays, you can upgrade your MOBO and handle it with an onboard graphics card. My HTPC has a 8300GT onboard chipset and handles H.265 file playback flawlessly.

If you are going to upgrade your RAM, be sure that all of your sticks are the same speed (I prefer to have them all the same brand as well for voltage purposes). BTW 10600 RAM is smoking! That processor you picked out is a monster.

7. Bondzai

Bondzai Your Mom's Best Friend

What operating system are you running? If you don't have a 64-bit version of Windows then you don't want to go with more than 4GB of RAM anyway. It can actually only use 3.5GB.

8. KnightNoles

KnightNoles Learn to Compete

Bond knows something about something... whaaaaat?

:thumbsup:

*I have zero insight to this discussion*

:D

9. thatguy188

Yeah last year I got the XFX 9800GT, the Motherboard, and my current CPU (AMD Phenom II x3 710), oh and the 3GB of ram.

Like on my list, this year itll be another CPU upgrade (I've always wanted a Black Edition hehe) to the AMD Phenom II x6 1090T Black Edition, a new case that I could def use, and another stick of ram to bring my total to 4GB. The 3GB I currently have in are the exact same speed and brand that Im planning on buying, so Ill have 4 1GB sticks of the exact same RAM.

And yeah, that processor is a monster, I won't need to upgrade for a good couple of years thats for sure.

I have both 32 bit and 64 bit of Windows 7. Im currently on the 32bit version but was planning on wiping it and going with the 64bit once I get the new processor etc.

10. thatguy188

Oh and I am also feeling like this year will also bring me Water Cooling, not quiet sure about it yet though.

I don't have TOO much stuff that produces a lot of heat, but hey, a nice LED lit Water Cooling system would look badass :p

11. Drifterbub

Featured Threads:
    Yeah, if you are into spending money on things that are totally useless, then yes. hahaha. I wouldn't bother unless you just plan on overcloking the ever loving crap out of everything and then sticking it in a closed cabinet.

With respect to your other post, I used to run 64 bit everything and just got tired of dealing with the bugs for what little gain I actually did see by moving away from the 32 bit system. I'm back on 32 bit for Windows 7 and am very happy. I've received mixed opinions about the pros/cons of moving to Win 7 64.

12. thatguy188

Thats why I am on 32bit now. I used to also run 64bit but like you, got quiet tired of all the bugs and incompatibilities etc. I just figured it's been a while now that it's been out, and keeping my fingers crossed that a lot of bugs etc. have been fixed.

And yeah I agree with the Water Cooling. Like I said, im not quiet sure yet. The new case im planning on getting might have enough LEDs to be OK for me, lol. Only thing I hate about it is no Dust Filters come with it for the Fans ... gonna have to find a solution for it.

13. Drifterbub

Featured Threads:
    Most modern cases move enough air to keep everything pretty cool.

You can always add as many LEDs as you want, lol. Depends on how annoyingly bright you want it to be, haha.

14. thatguy188

Especially Cooler Master cases. HAF Cases ... HAF stands for "High Air Flow". Did you actually check out that Case I got on my list in detail? Damn thing has 3, yes THREE 230mm fans, and 1 140mm included ... and if you check out Video Reviews of that case, 230mm fan = humongous lol. So im not really worried about it getting hot.

15. Bondzai

Bondzai Your Mom's Best Friend

What do you think I sit around and play video games all day?