Computer Upgrades or HDTV?

Discussion in 'The Cheap Seats' started by thatguy188, Feb 7, 2011.

?

Computer Upgrade or HDTV?

1. Computer Upgrade

10.0%
  2. HDTV

90.0%
  1. thatguy188

thatguy188 You know ... THAT guy.

A little background:
    I use my Computer for casual gaming (Dead Space 2, Drift 2 etc.) and some light photoshop work, other than that just the usual Internet Browsing etc. I am however a little "freak" when it comes to my computer and love always having the nicest and newest stuff in it.

As far as my current "Gaming TV" goes here in my office, its an old APEX 30" or so (picture at http://i1113.photobucket.com/albums/k515/thatguy188/IMG00035-20110117-1217.jpg)

So the big question is ... what should I get next Friday/Saturday?

(Click for specifications)

Computer Upgrade (LINK)
    or
    Upgrade to HDTV (LINK)

Let me know! :) Thanks! I am torn and honestly can't decide. Wish I could get both lol.

2. BDSDIGITAL

BDSDIGITAL One Time for your Mind

i think we should vote on the worst threads in tf history....[​IMG]

3. thatguy188

Dont be hatin. Im asking for opinion which I do believe these boards are for also. Go back to your box guy ;)

• Like Like x 1
  4. KnightNoles

KnightNoles Learn to Compete

ohhh man prob need to hit the upgrade on that TV

haha

5. Wick36

Wick36 Welcome to the Jungle

The TV for sure. I can't even begin to explain the difference between playing my 360 on my HDTV that I got for Christmas and the Standard Def one I had previously. It's unbelievable... It's almost like playing two different games.

6. Drifterbub

Drifterbub Help me hide a body?

Featured Threads:
    You forgot the option to spend all the money on hookers and blow...

• Like Like x 3
  7. Bl0ndeRedHead

Bl0ndeRedHead Official TSO Pothead

Really bro? This is a no-brainer, HDTV will change your life

8. Bulldog

Bulldog Coach Richt is my Dawg!

TV but i would go bigger than 32"....go 42" or 50" and LCD or LED not PLASMA

9. Jmustang1968

Jmustang1968 Walk On

Ya, I would go TV as it will be a bigger upgrade. If you arent a heavy PC gamer, then the upgrades on that wont be felt as much.

10. H22APWRD94

H22APWRD94 RG3 Bandwagon

Why LCD/LED over plasma? Just wondering? Believe all the BestBuy/Fry's/HHGregg hype?

11. thatguy188

Thanks for the input! Just ordered my brand new TV, which means in a couple of days no more shitty picture ;)

12. Bulldog

Well for one they don't get as hot and burn up like plasmas and i just like LCDs better. We have a plasma in the living room and it over heats alot.

I think the picture is much more crisp on LCDs also....just my opinion

13. Bondzai

Bondzai Your Mom's Best Friend

I have a 42" Philips Plasma that I've had for about 4 years now and the picture on it is AMAZING. I have a 32" Samsung LCD also and the picture is great, but the Plasma really stands out.

I haven't experienced any overheating or anything like that.

14. Bulldog

Maybe i just had a bad experience but i have heard other people say there plasma overheats as well

15. Bondzai

Bondzai Your Mom's Best Friend

Yeah, I don't know. Could be certain brands or I could just be lucky with mine.

16. Drifterbub

Drifterbub Help me hide a body?

Featured Threads:

When you compare apples to apples, the difference between the picture in a plasma and LCD are almost indiscernible. Plasmas were once revered for their darker blacks and resistance to motion blur. Now that LED back lighting has surfaced and dynamic contrast ratios have skyrocketed, plasmas hold no clear edge with regards to picture. Overheating really was never a widespread issue with either technology.

Plasmas are now starting to decline in price, so you may find the best bang for your buck there. Remember that plasma televisions shouldn't be used in a location where it will receive direct sunlight.

17. Jmustang1968

Jmustang1968 Walk On

I would definitely go with LCDs over Plasma. They last longer as far as I've heard, and the plasma will dim over time.

18. Wick36

Wick36 Welcome to the Jungle

All depends on how far away you sit.

If I'm up close, the picture won't look as nice on a 50" as a 32"

19. H22APWRD94

H22APWRD94 RG3 Bandwagon

I am on the sales and repair end of these units. I am basing my opinion off of what I see and deal with on a daily basis. I personally have a plasma as my gaming/main TV. Viewing angles and color saturation are still two huge differences to me. While yes, a plasma will dim over time, you are talking a 100,000 hour half life. That is 100,000 hours until the panel will be half as bright as it was when it was first turned on. Most picture tube sets lasted about 25,000-30,000 hours before the focus was so bad that you could not watch it. So, in reality, you will be replacing the tv because of other failures long before that screen takes a crap. I can also punch my plasma, (no, I don't punch my tv, but I do hit them on the sales floor as a demo to the customer of how solid they are. I watched an actual Panasonic sales rep jab their $80,000 108in beauty, and about pissed my pants) and not break the panel (Panasonic). They do produce more heat and use more energy than a LCD/LED, but I have never had issues with them overheating. Honestly, if you are going to buy a plasma, look at the Panasonic first. They take the time to really R&D their product. They are a plasma company, unlike Samsung and LG.

20. thatguy188

Well I went with the 32" LCD by LG. Has great reviews and all that. I will only be using it here in my office for the PS3 and don't sit further then maybe 3-4 feet away, so I didn't wanna go too big.

21. Bulldog

I have a buddy on this site that works at BestBuy and sales TVs(I Peench). I haven't talked with him much about TVs but i think he prefers plasmas over LCD too. I think we just got a bad deal on ours but it still is a pretty good TV. I still myself prefer an LCD over them.

22. uagrad90

uagrad90 Walk On

Have the plasma gotten better with the burn in issue? I have an LCD that may be getting close to giving up the ghost and may be in need of a replacement TV this year.

23. H22APWRD94

H22APWRD94 RG3 Bandwagon

That 32" LG is a good unit. I don't do much repair on the LG stuff, to be honest. Plasma has gotten much better with burn in. Most of them have some form of anti-image retention. Yes, you can still burn something in, but you have to screw up pretty bad to do it. I play NCAA on it for at least two hours a night it seems, and have never had anything stay for more than a couple seconds, basically until the gas has changed color a few times. I honestly don't hate LCD/LED, they make some great sets, I just hate all the negativity about plasma out there. The plasma that originally sold for anywhere from $25,000 to $40,000, 10-12 years ago is completely different than what we have now. That is 10-12 more years of research and development into a product. Think about what that did for Playstation and XBox.

24. Hova

Hova Live Action. YiYiYi!

I command you to get the TV

25. Pac12Leader

Pac12Leader Walk On

I recently went from an LCD to plasma and the transition has been pretty smooth. It all depends on what you're using the monitor for, but at Best Buy the guy told me for sports and movies that a plasma is the way to go. In terms of value it was much better in my opinion. As long as you don't have a window shining directly to the TV you should be fine.

Also, does anyone actually like 3D? Besides the motion sickness, isn't it pretty gay to sit around and pop bubbles with those glasses on?