Conference Championships Preview

Discussion in 'Thread Archive' started by GoGators, Jan 8, 2010.

1. GoGators

GoGators GT: KSherm

Conference Championships Preview

Does anyone want to put together a little writeup about the conference championship games to get some discussion going???

ACC
    UNC vs Clemson

SEC

Auburn vs Florida (the sequel)

ACC Championship Preview:

UNC has backed into their first ACC Championship game in Southern Exposure. The Tar Heels bring a Big 10 style of football to the table. They rely heavily on the ground and pound just like Woody Hayes did in his day. (I know Jello, a U of M fan will love his offensive philosophy being compared to OSU haha) All season the Tar Heels have relied on SR HB Ryan Houston and TE Christian Wilson. Houston is nursing a strained quadricep, but is hopeful to be able to suit up for the championship game in 2 weeks. If he can't go, his backup Jamal Womble will be asked to carry the load. Womble is a superb back, but he doesn't bring the power and downhill running attack that Houston does. Houston's injury will be a huge topic of discussion as the game draws near.

The Tar Heels also rely on Sr TE Christian Wilson. At 6'3" and 237 pounds he presents a lot of matchup problems for defenses. With an effective running and play action game, both Wilson and Houston are just too hard to keep track of every play which is the large indicator of UNC's success this season.

On the other side of the ball, UNC has the best DE combo in the country with Robert Quinn and Quinton Coples. These two will be getting after Clemson QB Willy Korn all day. Unfortunately for UNC though, their defense has a lot of soft spots. They lack depth and talent at DT and in the secondary.

Clemson on the other hand comes into this game undefeated and has been opening up a can of $@#$% on his fellow ACC brethren. Led by a dominating running game from Jamie Harper and Andre Ellington Clemson should have no problem exploiting the weakness in the middle of UNC's defense.

On the outside, Clemson relies on Bryce McNeal. He's not a super star, but he has the skill set that gets the job done. He'll present matchup problems all day for UNC's inexperienced secondary.

On defense, the Tigers are solid across the board. UNC won't have many mismatches to take advantage of other than the ones their players create themselves.

Comparison
    Column 1 Column 2 Column 3
    UNC Clem
    - QB +
    +/- HB +
    + WR -
    + TE -
    + OL -
    - DL +
    push LB push
    - DB +[/SIZE]

Analysis:
    This game will come down to turnovers and the running game. The team that's able to establish the running game will win this one. The running game will be especially critical for UNC as they try to keep Clemson's offense off the field and eat up clock. Without Ryan Houston, this will be extremely difficult. If Houston manages to play, I still don't know if UNC will have enough fire power or a strong enough defense to contain Clemson's dominant offense.

UNC's only hope defensively will be to force Clemson into some 3rd and longs that will allow their great DEs to get after QB Willy Korn and hopefully force him into some ill advised throws and a couple turnovers.

All in all, UNC keeps it close early by using the running game and play action to keep Clemson off balance. Christian Wilson probably catches a TD or 2, but in the end Clemson will be too overpowering. Once Harper and Ellington get going Clemson will take this game over and won't look back.

UNC, stay off the tracks, cause the Clemson Tigers choo-choo train is coming through town. Choo-Choo baby! Choo-choo!

Clemson 38
    UNC 21

2. dharvey09

dharvey09 Walk On

would but I dont know the history of the users well enough as this is my first year

I will be happy to read it though :)

3. Beazus Christ

Beazus Christ Resident Smut Peddler

I could do the sec one. It wouldn't feel right to do an acc one so another person would have to do that one.

4. dharvey09

dharvey09 Walk On

FUDGE my toilets clogged and I cant figure out how to use this plunger

I know random place to post this

but frick

5. GoGators

If you can't figure out how to use a plunger.............well, I think that says it all.

6. Beazus Christ

Well if you're inexperienced with the plunger, you could always stick an arm in there and "feel out" the situation...

7. GoGators

ACC Championship Preview:

UNC has backed into their first ACC Championship game in Southern Exposure. The Tar Heels bring a Big 10 style of football to the table. They rely heavily on the ground and pound just like Woody Hayes did in his day. (I know Jello, a U of M fan will love his offensive philosophy being compared to OSU haha) All season the Tar Heels have relied on SR HB Ryan Houston and TE Christian Wilson. Houston is nursing a strained quadricep, but is hopeful to be able to suit up for the championship game in 2 weeks. If he can't go, his backup Jamal Womble will be asked to carry the load. Womble is a superb back, but he doesn't bring the power and downhill running attack that Houston does. Houston's injury will be a huge topic of discussion as the game draws near.

The Tar Heels also rely on Sr TE Christian Wilson. At 6'3" and 237 pounds he presents a lot of matchup problems for defenses. With an effective running and play action game, both Wilson and Houston are just too hard to keep track of every play which is the large indicator of UNC's success this season.

On the other side of the ball, UNC has the best DE combo in the country with Robert Quinn and Quinton Coples. These two will be getting after Clemson QB Willy Korn all day. Unfortunately for UNC though, their defense has a lot of soft spots. They lack depth and talent at DT and in the secondary.

Clemson on the other hand comes into this game undefeated and has been opening up a can of $@#$% on his fellow ACC brethren. Led by a dominating running game from Jamie Harper and Andre Ellington Clemson should have no problem exploiting the weakness in the middle of UNC's defense.

On the outside, Clemson relies on Bryce McNeal. He's not a super star, but he has the skill set that gets the job done. He'll present matchup problems all day for UNC's inexperienced secondary.

On defense, the Tigers are solid across the board. UNC won't have many mismatches to take advantage of other than the ones their players create themselves.

Comparison
    Column 1 Column 2 Column 3
    UNC Clem
    - QB +
    +/- HB +
    + WR -
    + TE -
    + OL -
    - DL +
    push LB push
    - DB +[/SIZE]

Analysis:
    This game will come down to turnovers and the running game. The team that's able to establish the running game will win this one. The running game will be especially critical for UNC as they try to keep Clemson's offense off the field and eat up clock. Without Ryan Houston, this will be extremely difficult. If Houston manages to play, I still don't know if UNC will have enough fire power or a strong enough defense to contain Clemson's dominant offense.

UNC's only hope defensively will be to force Clemson into some 3rd and longs that will allow their great DEs to get after QB Willy Korn and hopefully force him into some ill advised throws and a couple turnovers.

All in all, UNC keeps it close early by using the running game and play action to keep Clemson off balance. Christian Wilson probably catches a TD or 2, but in the end Clemson will be too overpowering. Once Harper and Ellington get going Clemson will take this game over and won't look back.

UNC, stay off the tracks, cause the Clemson Tigers choo-choo train is coming through town. Choo-Choo baby! Choo-choo!

Clemson 38
    UNC 21

8. Hokie Effect

Hokie Effect Whats a Hokie?

I have played both UNC and Clemson. From my experiance it would be obvious to choose Clemson as the victor as they beat me and I was able to beat UNC. But I really don't think there is a clear favorite. Both teams have similar styles with a powerful ground game that opens up the pass. Both teams sport a great defense and obviously whichever D can create turnovers will have the edge.

Clemson has everything to play for. I win puts them in the BCS title game. Knowing this expect some nerves early, especially in a tight game or if they fall behind early. UNC really is only playing spoiler. They will probbaly be more willing to take chances and if they can capitalize on them, they may very well pull of the upset.

With all that said I just feel that Clemson is playing great ball right now and Coach Beazus has his team focused and in the right direction. Clemson will win this one, but it will be close.

Clemson 28 over UNC 24

9. jello1717

jello1717 "Those who stay will be champions." -- Bo

Boy! You guys are doing a great job of getting me amped up for this game!

Go Heels!

10. KnightNoles

KnightNoles Learn to Compete

Wish one those ACC fellas would step up and do somethin around here....

11. Beazus Christ

Ill get the sec preview in tonight ...

And thank you for giving unc motivation - jk

12. GoGators

Have you two (Beazus and Jello) played each other yet? I didn't have a chance to look. If so, what was the outcome?

UNC's WR's are very good too, but Coach Jello doesn't seem to utilize them much. He focuses primarily on Wilson the TE (the dude likes em tight instead of wide open haha). The Clemson Tigers on paper are just a more talented team overall. They will be the only team able to gain matchup advantages during the game.

I like Hokies point of view about UNC being loose and Clemson being tight. It's really going to come down to if Ryan Houston is able to go or not. His backup isn't capable of doing what Jello will want him to do.

I like Clemson by a couple scores. Coach Beazus has a law degree from Georgetown and has faced the Socratic method, he won't choke. This will be a walk in the park haha.

(You're welcome Jello for me making you a heavy underdog!)

13. dharvey09

dharvey09 Walk On

should be couple of awesome games wish I could watch

14. Beazus Christ

SEC CHAMPIONSHIP PREVIEW

#8 Florida Gators (10-1)

[​IMG]

VS

#10 Auburn Tigers (10-1)

[​IMG]

OVERVIEW

This is a rematch of a week 4 game in Auburn. The Gators won that contest 45 to 38, aided by a HUGE effort from HB Jeffrey Demps, who ran for 241 yards and 3 scores on 22 carries. Since then, Auburn has been on a rampage, laying to waste all would be contenders in the SEC West. On the other side, Florida may view 2011 as a season of regret. Hopes of an undefeated season and national championship were recently crushed when the Gators lost in the Swamp to rival FSU. An SEC title would help to ease that Seminole sting, but Auburn is far from a pushover. Who wins? Lets check the tale of the tape...

TALE OF THE TAPE

Auburn Rush Offense Vs Florida Rush Defense

The last time Auburn and Florida squared off, Auburn was without HB Onterrio McCalebb. In the rematch, the Tigers have their starter back in the fold. Will it matter? It certainly could. McCalebb, at 5'10'' 166, defies the laws of physics. While you would expect someone so small to be a quick back (90 SP), you would NEVER expect that same person to be such a load to take down (90 BTK). Despite his earlier injury, McCalebb has had a solid year, running around (and through) defenders to the tune of 763 yards and 12 scores with a 5.0 YPC average. The Auburn offensive line, other than senior standout C Jared Cooper, is very average. Their overall ratings (from left to right) are: 83-81-90-83-78. Not exactly the ratings of a dominant offensive line, right?

On the other side of the trenches, Florida's defensive line is stout. DEs William Green (93 OVR / 11 sacks) and Earl Okine (92 OVR) are a dangerous duo, while DTs Saye Howard (95 OVR) and DT Omar Hunter (90 OVR) are equally as impressive. Did I mention this is the best defensive line in the country? If this wasnt enough, the linebacking corps are just as impressive as the defensive line. LOLB Lerentee McCray (94 OVR / 91 SP / 4 interceptions) and MLB Brendan Beal (97 OVR / 72 tackles) are among the NCAA's elite, while senior ROLB John Jones (90 OVR) is far from chopped liver.

Analysis: While McCalebb is very talented, Auburn has little chance of establishing a viable rushing game due to the juggernaut that is the Florida defense.

Advantage: Florida

Auburn Pass Offense Vs Florida Pass Defense

Redshirt freshman QB Andrew Miller has a firm hold on the reins of the Auburn offense. After taking over for the injured Tyrik Rollison, Miller has displayed the skills of a seasoned veteran. Blessed with a strong arm (91 THP), Miller has a 197 QB rating and has thrown 17 touchdowns against a mere 3 interceptions. His poise in the pocket and ability to make sound decisions gives Auburn a chance to win in any game. Speaking of game changing performers, how about senior WR Harry Adams? In 2011, Adams has established himself as a star. Blessed with track star speed (97 SP) and a solid set of hands (90 CTH), Adams put it all together this year, catching 64 passes for 1568 yards and 16 touchdowns. If that wasn't enough, Auburn also has 2 other wide receivers (Derek Winter and Terrell Zachary) who are rated above 90 overall.

The Florida secondary is led by senior shutdown corner Jeremy Brown. Brown (97 OVR) is so good at locking up receivers that coaches categorically refuse to throw it his direction (zero interceptions). Sophomore SS Dee Finley is a big play machine (5 interceptions / 2 defensive touchdowns).

Analysis: Who can stop the Tiger passing attack? Florida certainly has the talent, but Andrew Miller rarely makes a mistake and always seems to find the open man. Harry Adams is a beast in the slot and will likely have a huge game. This could be negated if Florida chose to make Jeremy Brown its nickel back, but I doubt this happens.

Advantage: Auburn

Florida Rush Offense Vs Auburn Rush Defense

Week after week, ESPN drools over the ball of excitement that is Jeffery Demps. Apart from Gayle Sayers, no back has ever had this combination of speed (99), agility (97), acceleration (99) and moves (99 spin and juke). Auburn knows this first hand, as the senior HB ran for 240 yards against the Tigers in week 4. Demps might have success running behind a high school offensive line. This, of course, complicates matters tenfold because Florida actually has the best offensive line in the country. Led by standouts James Wilson and Sam Robey, the line is rated (from left to right): 90-99-98-91-91. While this line isnt as talented as last year's line, it still has no peer in college football.

Auburn's defensive line is anchored DT Freddie Smooth (sweet name). The 6'5'' 310 one-man wrecking crew has disrupted SEC offenses all year long (6 sacks) and must be accounted for by the opposing team. On the edges, DEs Andre Wadley (6 sacks) and Chad Humphrey (87 OVR) are capable of making a splash. The weakness? DT Terrance Coleman, who can be bullied in the middle (82 STR). The linebacker unit is led by Dashawn Barnes in the middle (85 OVR / 89 tackles / 4 sacks / 2 FF). Interestingly, ROLB Eltoro Freeman (89 OVR) has been M.I.A. this year (108 tackles in 2010, 33 in 2011). Auburn needs the rangy defender (86 SP) to step up and stop Demps on the outside.

Analysis: Demps ran for 240 yards last meeting. A second grader could figure out who has the advantage in this match up.

Advantage: Florida

Florida Pass Offense Vs Auburn Pass Defense

Last year, QB John Brantley did an excellent job guiding the Florida offense out of the Tebow era. This year, he has been equally as impressive in leading the Gator offense (3135 yards / 24 TDs / 67% completion percentage). Of course, throwing the ball to a group of receivers as talented as this one makes the job an easier one. WR Deonte Thompson (99 OVR) heads a group of lethal wide outs (Thompson / TJ Lawrence / Frankie Hammand Jr / Omarius Hines all over 90 OVR). Thompson, the standout of the group (97 SP / 91 CTH), has 61 receptions for 1228 yards and 10 scores in 2011. If this wasnt enough, Brantley can always look to the TE Desmond Parks (6'6'' with 90 SP) as a safety valve. This is truly an amazing group.

Auburn's secondary features two standout players. CB Neiko Thorpe (95 OVR / 94 man Coverage / 8 interceptions) looks like a potential first round pick. SS Reggie Taylor may only be an 82 overall, but dont underestimate what Knighnoles can do with speed (90) and good hands (80) at the safety position. This year, Taylor had amassed 94 tackles, 11 interceptions, 3 forced fumbles, and 4 defensive touchdowns. Holy shit. Give this man the Heisman already! In addition to the standouts, Auburn also has two other quality corners (Ryan Williams and Dantoine Hood both 87 OVR) and a FS (Matt Lewis) with 99 man coverage.

Analysis: Florida has an awesome aerial arsenal at its disposal. However, Auburn has the pieces in place to counter the Florida passing game (read: 3 good corners and a god at safety). I'll give Auburn the edge.

Advantage: Auburn

VERDICT

Florida was able to win last meeting due to an amazing performance by Jeffery Demps. Can Demps rush for 240 again? This writer doesnt think so. Auburn has had time to adjust and devise a scheme to (somewhat) slow down the electrifying Demps. These yards will have to be made up by Florida in the passing game. John Brantley is a great QB (96 OVR) but he has thrown his fair share of interceptions this year (13). Creating turnovers is what Auburn does better than anyone else in the country (+19). Expect Auburn to pick at least 2 Brantley passes and send Gator Nation into a deep depression.

[​IMG]

15. GoGators

Hahahaha, well at least the Gator Girl is hotter!

16. Hokie Effect

I haven't had the pleasure of playing either team this year, unless you count the 3 disconnect attempts with Gator, so I don't have an accurate feel for picking a winner. I do know that the first time played it was a very close game squeaked out by Gator. Auburn has been very impressive this year and will again push Florida to the brink of victory. I just can't pick against Gator. His track record is just too good. So if I was a betting man (And I am Vegas in May)......

Florida 38 over Auburn 28

17. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Walk On

Featured Threads:
    good stuff fellas, a lot's at stake here!

18. dharvey09

dharvey09 Walk On

beautiful write up good stuff

19. GoGators

On paper, UNC is rated the better team at an A- while Clemson is a B+.

It's a split decision with Kirk picking the Tigers and Lee putting on the rams head.

In the SEC, UF is a big favorite on paper.

It's a split decision here though with Kirk picking UF and Lee putting on the Tiger head.

20. LeGeNd RiPs

LeGeNd RiPs Is it football season yet?

we should try to advance again at least before the day is over! It would be awesome to get to the offseason before the end of the week

21. Hokie Effect

I think thats the plan as long as the CCG get played....plus who cares about the Green Bay vs Arizona game.

22. LeGeNd RiPs

Yea, thats exactly what I was thinking! (ROFL) I just wanted to get through the offseason soon! Question: How does the offseason work in this dynasty? Are we going to schedule a time when everyone is on and get through the offseason in one night or are we gonna have to wait and do it over a couple nights and have it take forever? (I vote one night)

23. Hokie Effect

In the past its been a 24 hour advance for offseason from what I remember, but if we can get everyone on at the same time that would be best. I am with you, I just want to get the next season rolling.

24. killajo90405

killajo90405 Walk On

Having played both teams I think SEC game should be a good one. I think UF jumps out to a first half lead, bu Auburn is great a 2nd half adjustments, I can see the Tigers catching up and sending it to OT or great last minute finish either way.

25. LeGeNd RiPs

Me too man. It would be great to just get everyone on and get through the offseason and then stop at preseason for a day or so! Then we could get next season rolling strong!