Conference Consolidation

Discussion in 'The Experience' started by GoGators, Dec 3, 2010.

1. GoGators

GoGators GT: KSherm

Does the level of activity in here correlate to the enthusiasm for the current settings? I know this is a bit of the pot calling the kettle black and I'm trying to do better, but I think I've read more posts from Jello in here over the past couple days than anyone else, and he's not even in the dynasty any more.

I applaude Pa for putting out the power rankings as those were awesome. Let's try to get some stuff going in here again guys and continue this being a great league.

Feel free to tell me to stfu if you must :)

I guess this is a bit of a morale check. Are the current settings ruining your fun factor in this league?

2. JCspartan2

JCspartan2 Sparty Party

STFU Gators!

Seriously though, I've noticed the yawning in the forums lately too. I'd love to post some content but I've been unbelievably busy this past week (though I just got accepted to medical school here at MSU!) I also haven't had much to say because it's been a long time since I've played a game (Suge and I played two weeks ago right after the advance, I had a bye last week, waiting to play Shaun this week) and obviously haven't had the chance to play the CPU for a while. While I don't particularly enjoy the current settings, it isn't ruining my enthusiasm for the league. I love it here and I will play no matter what the sliders are at.

3. PAgamer07

PAgamer07 We're the ship without a storm

I honestly am surprised at how dead this place is. It's a premier league ffs. Where's the chatter? And the bitching? And the content. It's not the sliders, I just... can't put my finger on it. And the advance pace has been slow as crap too. Hell I had to change playbooks because I would never get used to running the spread at this pace.

But yeah... something is missing.

4. GoGators

Congrats on getting accepted to med school man. That's beyond awesome! What do you plan on pursuing?

My little cousin who is like a little sister to me is currently a SO at MSU and she's taking the MCAT this upcoming summer. Kids smart as can be, but it was funny over thanksgiving that she was tripping out over how difficult it is going to be to get the score she wants to go to school where she wants. I believe in her though.

Hopefully MSU continues their recent football success, it'll make being there for another 4-8 years more barable.

5. GoGators

@pa, I think the pace needs to get picked up a bit. I know I've been a culprit of holding us up from time to time so I shouldn't really talk. I think we need to knock out a season per month if not faster so we can get through at least 10 seasons. As for the crap talking, I agree, there's not a lot of it. I don't know why, everyone has been together here for a while now. I'd think some solid rivalries would be built, but maybe not. Things have been taken slightly too personally at times too but oh well. Where's Psycho, he always had funny shit to say.

6. JCspartan2

JCspartan2 Sparty Party

What score does she want to get? Tell her that my scores were not all that impressive, but I made a lot of connections in my time here and that helped me out a lot in the admissions process. Getting involved in volunteer work and/or research is invaluable with all of the relationships you will establish.

I agree about the pace too, I didn't want to say anything because I know I'm probably the one that harps on it the most. Most of you have busier schedules outside of work than I do (not being married and all). As for the trash talking, you hit the nail on the head in that people have been taking things too personally. I think the sensitive culprits are gone now though so maybe things will pick back up.

Buck the *uckeyes!!! Your going down Shaun.

7. GoGators

I'm not sure what score she wants. She was valadictorian of her high school class though and her goal is to get into a top 10 school so she's pretty wrapped up in it. She's doing anything and everything to fill out her resume and she's looking to get a research position next year.

As for the yuckeyes. Yes, please beat them. I'm sick of them being ranked #1 when they clearly shouldn't be. Although I'd probably never get beat by the computer either if I catered the sliders to my preferences :)

8. Randiesel75

Randiesel75 Walk On

For me, work has gotten in the way of mostly all aspects of my life. I'm a network engineer for a large SP that services the financial community. Besides the current rush before the annual Holiday freeze, we are in the midst of data center closures that has us migrating clients from legacy to a new MPLS network. I would couple this with the unusually slow pace in here, and that is where we are at. Now, between the issues in Shaun's life and assuming others were in the same situation, work wise, I figured things would naturally ramp back up in due time.

@JCspartan2 - congrats!

9. GoGators

You could of just said you were busy haha. Cause I don't know what the hell any of the rest of that meant.

10. Randiesel75

Randiesel75 Walk On

me neither, I made it up

11. Shaun Mason

Shaun Mason Somebody you used to know.

Featured Threads:
    I'm going to be honest when I say I don't know what is wrong with me. Before I say what I am about to say, notice I said "thinking".

I am honestly getting stressed by having to get games in, I caught myself "thinking" the other day I need to cut to one dynasty. I don't know if is because I'm not being challenged in this dynasty, or if it moves slow or what, but I just don't have the same enthusiasm for my team here that I do with my team in The Deuce. Last year it was the opposite when I was Army.

Some of it is that lately all my user games, the other users schedule seems to conflict with mine, my wife starting the new job, me just being tired in general.

I love you guys though. The sad thing is it isn't just here I am having issues. I am burned out at work. I get 12 days off in a couple weeks, and I am hoping that will recharge my batteries. This was always a fun dynasty because you had people who could really get into things. Jello, Dru, Basis, etc. Losing those guys really changed this dynasty for me. In retrospect I should have never commished this year and just let Basis do it.

12. Shaun Mason

Featured Threads:
    On another topic. I hate Heisman. For the real.

13. GoGators

@ Shaun

I hope you feel better man. I've been in a similar boat with work and trying to get these games in it kind of becomes a struggle at times. And when that happens, it's tough to enjoy it.

To be honest, I've run hot and cold on this league. There's been quite a few times where I've thought about dropping, but I love playing with all you guys and don't want to flake out. It's been fun getting to know some of the guys I haven't been in a league with before and I enjoy it. Plus, I've built a pretty sick team and I can't download them to use offline so I don't want to give up my hard work.

(I'm not trying to start an argument here, just sharing my thoughts)

One of the issues I've had is with the sliders (big surprise I know). They have gotten so far away from default that I feel it takes some of the fun away from the game. I know you're trying to make the game more challenging, but it doesn't work when you have 12 guys all playing different styles. The reason I've bitched as much as I have is that the changes tried to make the pro style offenses more "sim" but the collateral damage was that it destroyed the spread option offense. A lot of people here hate the heisman settings, but honestly, it's the first time I can actually run my offense with much balance and the way it should be ran. So perhaps you guys can see some of my frustrations now with how AA was and why I was constantly being a whiny lil bitch. I also think the sliders have possibly hurt the fun factor here. Dru and Jello left due to them and those are two pretty hard core gamers.

Another thing is, I joined this league to play with Shaun, Dru, Jello, Basis, Hova, Suge, etc cause I'd had brief stints in leagues with those guys before and really enjoyed it. I liked how this league was ran last year and was really stoked to be in it this year. I think with all those guys mentioned dropping out, they were the real drivers of this league. Now we have replaced them with great guys in Randy and Pa, but I don't feel like any one has stepped in to replace the content those guys provided. What's the cause of that? I don't know.

I hope we continue to press on with this league and build it back up to what it should be. I think we need to possibly move to a slider set more similar to what other leagues are using back on AA, and I think we need to pick up the pace in this league somewhat. If that means some guys get their games simmed, then so be it. One of the staples has been that this is a slower paced league for people w/lives outside of video games, but I think we need to make sure we keep the hard 72 hour deadline in tact. If games can't be played in that window they have to be simmed.

14. GoGators

1 other thing I think that's a problem is we've lost a lot of our natural rivalries.

Shaun vs Jello
    Me vs Psycho
    Me vs Basis
    Jello vs JC
    and etc.

Right now Masler and I are chilling in the SEC and none of our games really matter since the only time we'll meet with anything on the line is the SEC CG. That's kinda boring. Before I had to battle with Psycho and Masler or Basis on a rotation. It created some good rivalries and Basis and I had some good trash talking going on until he decided he couldn't take getting beat by UF anymore.

I think our current setup is too spread out. I think we should consider condensing down to 3 conferences. Perhaps the newbies in the Big 12 would consider moving to the SEC / ACC. There's some good squads available in Georgia, Tennessee, and LSU and I'm sure VaTech is pretty sound as well. I think that would make this league a lot more fun if we had more intense conference rivalries going on.

Thoughts?

15. blLL flo

blLL flo BTFU!

I think it might be a good idea to condense to 3, if the guys who had to move were ok with it. It would create more user games, so that would be something to consider as well.

16. Shaun Mason

Featured Threads:
    I am fine with realignment as long as we don't start over.

17. GoGators

I was thinking about it while working out and I really thing we NEED to do this. I know it sucks for the guys that would have to give up their teams, but I honestly think it's in the best interest of the league. Plus, there's some really talented teams in the available conferences so it wouldn't be like you were starting over with a team from scratch.

I'd think the easiest way would be to ask the new guys in the Big 12 to swap into the SEC and ACC. We have 2 spots open in the SEC and one in the ACC and Big 10. It'd also level the playing field where as right now in the SEC and ACC one or both teams are alone in their division.

There's five great squads to choose from in the SEC, UGA, SC, Tenn, LSU, and Auburn.

18. Shaun Mason

Featured Threads:
    What do you guys think?

19. Hova

Hova Live Action. YiYiYi!

Losing all the players hurt, it will never be the same. I have no complaints though, Miami is winning the crystal ball this season, then we can do whatever

20. JCspartan2

JCspartan2 Sparty Party

Sounds good to me if the other guys are for it.

21. Masler

Masler Moderator

I agree with Shaun, I hate Heisman. I want to go back to AA where I was still challenged...key word CHALLENGED, not a helpless struggle.

And my activity might be sluggish a bit lately because finals are coming up and very recent issue in the family has made some things rough.

22. Randiesel75

Randiesel75 Walk On

If everyone agrees we need to shake things up and then pick up the pace to get things going again, I am down for that. And since us FNGs are in the Big 12, I have no issues with us realigning in order to make this work.

23. PAgamer07

PAgamer07 We're the ship without a storm

... Sucks im gonna lose Texas. Can we realign after bowl games? Interested to know how things shape out in Big 12.

And where are we going? If there is an opening in the Big Ten, dibs on Penn State.

24. Big Suge Knight

Big Suge Knight Walk On

Featured Threads:
    I could see how realignment could also give us one less CPU game and make the conference races tighter. So I vote Aye! I will adapt to a less spread offense if we go back to AA or try to find me another Brandon Weeden to chuck the rock around the Big Ten.

25. dakota7

dakota7 Former Blue Chip Recruit

Sorry, I've been pretty busy this weekend, just got a chance to catch up on the E.

1--I'm glad we're going back to AA.
    2-- Realigning is a great idea. If we can add another conference game, maybe we can go to 4 user games a season?
    3-- I tried to help out with some of the content at the start of the season, but since Thanksgiving, things at home have been busy. Realistically, that will probably continue thru xmas.
    4-- I'm still excited about this league, my only complaint is that I keep losing to Hova, Bill and sherm.......if you guys throw me an interception or two, I promise to add even more content. Deal?