Conference Expansion and 2 New Members

Discussion in 'Chompion's League' started by Spayer419, Aug 4, 2012.

1. Spayer419

Spayer419 Walk On

Jun 23, 2012
    Hey guys, as we approach season 2 there are going to be some changes coming to the landscape of college football. As you should know, the plan was to put Notre Dame and a 14th team into the Big 10. But as we progressed through the season, it became obvious to me that the ACC was always going to be a problem.

With Florida State and Clemson having left the dynasty, it looked like the ACC would become a revolving door. This is because there are really only 4 solid programs that are on a somewhat even playing field with everyone else in the dynasty. I was concerned that people would keep using the same teams in the ACC, someone would quit, a replacement would have to use that same team, he would get frustrated with it...a never ending cycle. This is in contrast to the SEC where there are more than 4 attractive programs. If someone (lets say Arkansas) left, then the replacement could take Arkansas, but they could also select programs such as LSU and Alabama, to name a few. But we also wanted to allow the current members of the ACC to continue to play with their teams.

With that in mind, I and a few other members for the dynasty came up with a solution for conference realignment/expansion. We considered the following when coming up with our new conferences.
    • Having more than 4 attractive teams in each conference
    • Balancing overall conference strength
    • Conference Culture
    • Rivalries
    • Location (tho it is not the end all be all)
    Big 10
    Legends Leaders
    Michigan Ohio State
    Michigan State Wisconsin
    Iowa Penn State
    Nebraska Illinois
    Minnesota Indiana
    Northwestern Purdue
    Notre Dame Florida State

Why it Works: Notre Dame was locked in here already, but needed to be in the Legends division to even it out, keep rivalries with MSU and Michigan. Unfortunately this made the divisions extremely unbalanced, and we needed a high quality team to fill the 14th spot. Florida State meets the Big 10's standards academically, places an equally high value on tradition, and can compete with the top tier teams. The one pitfall of this addition is location. If you recall however, the Big 10 was rumored to want Texas when they expanded to 12 (and possibly considered 14). If the Big 10 does expand in the future IRL, one of their primary concerns will be finding a new market to expand the Big 10 Network. The state of Florida is an untapped market for the Big 10, and satisfies that need.

Big 12
    East West
    West Virginia Oklahoma
    Kansas State Oklahoma State
    Kansas Texas
    TCU Texas Tech
    Virginia Tech Iowa State
    Georgia Tech Baylor

Why it Works: Some nice rivalries maintained in the East, with Virginia Tech and Georgia Tech, but also West Virginia who shares relative proximity. TCU is a strong program in this game, and had a very nice season in year 1. They should be able to compete, and if a spot opens in the East, they are a good school to play with. In the west, we get to add the Oklahoma-Texas rivalry to Chompions League, which I'm very excited about. Division Names are subject to change and I welcome any suggestions.

With that being said, I think it's a good time to introduce our two newest members of Chompions League. Boraby will be taking over Oklahoma, and cmassey13 will be at Texas. I'm very excited about the addition of these two new members. They will officially take control of their teams when we start the offseason.

Atlantic Coastal
    Wake Forest North Carolina
    NC State Duke
    Clemson Miami
    Maryland Virginia
    Boston College Louisville
    Syracuse Pittsburgh

Why it Works: Pittsburgh and Syracuse are set to join the ACC in real life next year. Due to proximity, Louisville takes the last vacant spot. ACC becomes a basketball conference.

Big East
    No Divisions
    South Florida
    Central Florida
    Boise State

Why it Works: Big East will probably be stripped of their automatic qualifier.

I just wanted to be transparent and explain why we made all the decisions we did. I, and the people involved in this decision making process, believe that this will only improve the quality of competition in Chompions League and enhance the experience. Offseason will be starting today, looking forward to moving on to season 2 with the original gang and welcoming the two new members.
    • Like Like x 2
  2. Spayer419

Spayer419 Walk On

Jun 23, 2012
    Boraby and cmassey13, please put your contact information in the roster thread
  3. jandy

jandy Walk On

Feb 19, 2011
    Welcome to the league!
  4. Glen Cieske

Glen Cieske Walk On

Jul 2, 2012
  5. jandy

jandy Walk On

Feb 19, 2011
  6. jandy

jandy Walk On

Feb 19, 2011
    Should make for an exciting year next year. Lots of user vs user competition will only make things better
  7. cmassey13

cmassey13 Walk On

Aug 2, 2012
    Thanks for the welcome guys. Still trying to get used to all the sliders used on tradition sports. Don't beat me up too bad, but looking forward to it.
  8. CJTHA1

CJTHA1 Walk On

Jul 4, 2012
    Welcome to the league