Archived Conference Selection Discussion (Please Read OP)

Discussion in 'Pushing for Paydirt' started by I Peench, Jun 7, 2012.

1. I Peench

I Peench Caught in the hustle

As you know, we have determined the following:

1. We will use 2 BCS conferences
    2. There will be no limit on prestige

Personally, I want to make it as hard for us as possible given the above set up. If it were up to me, I'd say the ACC/SEC pairing would make for a great set up. Close in proximity, tons of rivalriies, and recruiting battles would be intense. I'm not a huge fan of the BigXII, but the B1G would work as well (they also have a lot of bowl tie ins with the SEC). I just prefer ACC over B1G because I would like to leave a powerhouse conference all CPU. I'm kind of sick of the Pac 12 and would prefer no Big Least, but it's entirely up to the group.

Keep in mind I will allow movement where it makes sense.

Again, no right or wrong answers here. Just want to flesh it all out over the next week before we vote. I REALLY want to emphasize that you should make these selections without considering "your team". High likelihood you don't get your team, plus I'd rather everyone think big picture and do what they think is best for the league.

Next week I will ask every member to PM their top choice in conferences (1-3) in order. From there, I will use a point system to determine the two winners. Please wait for me to ask before you send stuff in.

Discuss!

Bucs
    Bulldog
    JFace907
    sawemoff
    RedZoneD25
    Baron
    DerekC
    Mike E
    MartyWebb
    bawvu97
    Danthraxxx

2. MartyWebb

MartyWebb C.R.E.A.M.

Alright here's my take.

The Big East is out, no problems there I don't think. The ACC has enough 'top tier' teams to make it interesting, and enough interesting lower teams if you decide to take one, or get stuck with one. The B1G seems to be a popular choice, but there is only ONE tOSU, so knowing those guys wouldn't be Michigan, you mostly have everyone else as Wisconsin(Yuck) and 'okay' teams at best. The SEC is basically a Super Conference at the top. To think that Mizzou, a 'good' program by nearly every measure would be behind these teams in ratings, and prestige : Bama, LSU, Auburn, Florida, Georgia, Arkansas, South Carolina. Holy shit. Whether we choose that conference or not, it'll be the top conference year and year out likely, and I'd like to see the CPU take that conference for the sake of making all of our lives difficult, and challenge us. Not just user v user, but user v cpu, and give the cpu some weapons ya know what I mean?!

The Big XII is top heavy and no so wide-ranging. The PAC-12 is a balanced league aside from really USC and Oregon. Stanford might have good ratings, but they don't have the Luck factor anymore so we'll see.

Anyways, with that all being said, I seriously think no matter what we'll end up with an SEC team, so IF we decide to do that, I implore that you take a long hard look at the ACC and or Big XII because of the recruiting territory and the off-the-field battles we'll all be facing against one another.

Just my two cents, we'll have to see where the voting goes from here. :)

3. Bulldog

Bulldog Coach Richt is my Dawg!

Like MartyWebb said i think the SEC is pretty much a given but if we decided to not use the SEC my top 2 would be ACC and PAC 12. I don't really care for the B1G or the BIG XII to be honest but it wouldn't ruin my experience to have to take a team from those conferences. So my vote is SEC and PAC 12.

4. Bulldog

Like MartyWebb said i think the SEC is pretty much a given but if we decided to not use the SEC my top 2 would be ACC and PAC 12. I don't really care for the B1G or the BIG XII to be honest but it wouldn't ruin my experience to have to take a team from those conferences. So my vote is SEC and PAC 12.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 7, 2012
    • Like Like x 1
  5. I Peench

No voting yet. Just discussion. Plus, you'll eventually give me a top 3

6. I Peench

DING DING DING

I hope Danthraxxx Mike E Baron all consider this

7. DC

DC Shake n Bake

I like the ACC and sec ... due to the geographical similarities. But B1G would be a good choice as well. Or even sec/pac12 ....Oregon vs bama as a home and home wold be interesting or stanford vs Georgia.

• Like Like x 1
  8. DC

DC Shake n Bake

Lots and lots of Tosu fans.....would be best to shy away from that then. Id hate to play them every year as a fan lol

9. Mike E

Mike E Earth Rocker

Likewise i hate playing SEC all the time from a fan perspective.;) But i know that it is a given we will use them and we should.

Nevertheless, i think the BIG 12 is the second best conference and has a lot of fun teams. Plus, there are a number of additions that could be made to the big 12 that would make it even with the SEC. Boise and BYU come to mind. As well, it would give them 12 teams and a conference championship. I am absolutely not interested in any ACC teams outside of Florida state. I say this without even thinking about video games. I just think it is a boring conference with no life. Sorry if i offend anyone. The atmosphere's in their stadiums are nothing compared to the SEC/Big 12/Big Ten.

So for what it's worth, i think big 12/SEC is the way to go.

10. DC

DC Shake n Bake

sec/acc
    SEC/B12
    SEC/Pac12

looking like a split decision

11. I Peench

So you wouldn't vote for the B1G?...Interesting

12. DC

DC Shake n Bake

B12/SEC would be another good fit for recruiting battles. plus bama V Oklahoma...TEXASS vs oh idk kentucky ;)

13. Hellisan

Hellisan Schemin 'em up

Not to butt in, but I just don't know why anybody would want to mix conferences that do and don't have conf. championship games.

• Like Like x 2
  14. I Peench

You bring up another good point. I would have to make some adjustments to ensure that they do have a conference championship. I'd rather not do that.

15. DC

DC Shake n Bake

Good point, I wouldnt vote for a conf matchup without a championship. So that knocks the B12 out my vote

16. I Peench

Yeah. Unlike some of the other conferences, I have trouble thinking of teams to move into the Big12. Only solution would be to move A&M and Mizzou back in there then move 2 teams (like Clemson/FSU/Miami) into the SEC.

I really don't like the thought of that. Big clusterfuck. Something to consider Mike E

17. DC

DC Shake n Bake

Agree totally there, peench

18. Bulldog

Unofficial vote. ;)

19. Bulldog

This!

20. Mike E

Mike E Earth Rocker

big 12-sec is the best mix of fun teams, IMO.

• Like Like x 1
  21. DC

DC Shake n Bake

i think b12 just got kick squarely on the butt-ox on the way out the door in this voting discussion

22. Mike E

Mike E Earth Rocker

i guess i dont see it being a clusterfuck at all. Add in a Boise and BYU and make a championship game. Those are two solid teams that anyone would enjoy playing with. Unless I am off base as to what you are allowed to do vis-a-vis adding in teams/conference championships. If I am mistaken and you cant do this then disregard.

• Like Like x 1
  23. Mike E

Mike E Earth Rocker

if the big 12 is out, then i go big ten without hesitation. IMO the Pac-12 and ACC are the last two I would choose. Id rather the Big east than those two.

I Peench plus, i know you had discussed, or thought, about moving teams to and from the ACC/Big Ten/Sec so i dont see how it's different than that if we go big 12

24. I Peench

Big 12 isn't out. Nothing is out, we haven't even voted yet. I like the idea of BYU and Boise. This is why we have these discussions before we vote. I think that's very doable.

• Like Like x 1
  25. DC

DC Shake n Bake

Eh, BYU and Boise just seem a little out there. It seems like a stretch to add them to the B12. I could see miami getting added to sec or something like that. But, I dont see the connection boise has at all to the B12. If we add BYU, lets rename it the Texas Conference and be done with it