Connection Question?

Discussion in 'Rookie Symposium' started by nellycuz, Aug 28, 2012.

1. nellycuz

nellycuz I'm an educated fool w/ $$ on my mind.

I have a connection question maybe some of you can shed some light on.

I had my 2WIRE (AT&T) Modem/Wireless Router changed out yesterday. My modem is in the basement. The TV I play on is on the second floor. When we had the house build, we had 2 ethernet jacks setup in the living room and in the game room. So from the modem in my basement, there is a feed that comes into my office and that's where my Linksys wireless router is. I have that feed from the basement plugged into my router. To get a wired connection upstairs, I have an ethernet wire running from wireless router in office to the ethernet jack in the office that's connected to the second floor. So long story short I have a wired connection upstairs to my XBOX. Up/Down speeds are great and I hardly ever lose a connection to my opponent.

The problem is it's constantly choppy online (madden is the worst..FIFA/NCAA play great). I think the problem lies in that the wired connection has to pass through two routers (modem in basement and wireless router in office). Does anyone know the best setup for this? I'm in process for setting up DMZ on both my modem and router but not sure if that will work. This is first time I've had 2 routers in one network. Was just wondering if anyone could help me out on how to set this up best without moving my gaming downstairs (which I will do but such a hassle).

Was also thinking about calling AT&T and having them move my modem from the basement to the 1st or second floor.

Any suggestions are welcome...

Thanks!

2. kdpnutter

kdpnutter Walk On

Shaun Mason

He maybe able to shed more light on this then most of us sir (y)

3. nellycuz

nellycuz I'm an educated fool w/ $$ on my mind.

Yes I tried the DMZ, didn't seem to help.....I've been reading more about setting up either my modem/router to a bridge or my wireless router to a bridge, not sure which one will work out. But i'll be doing that tonight .....I appreciate the response though!