Conservative Carrying

Discussion in 'After Midnight' started by Dru50, Aug 2, 2011.

1. Dru50

Dru50 Still Chicago's #1 son

How many of you guys are using the 'conservative big run' gameplanning feature (and please be honest)? The reason I ask is that I was gathering some stats for the league at lunch and noticed that there were only 7 user HB's who fumbled even one ball and only 2 that fumbled more than once. This includes nearly 750 carries between OSU, PSU and MSU's HB's.

I used to use the feature religiously in last years game, but it wasn't as much of an issue because passing was king. I may have to outlaw using the feature (I haven't really used any of the gameplanning this year aside from the conservative tempo) though based on this statistic.

I'd like to get thoughts on this before we kick off season 2.

2. gowazzucougs

gowazzucougs WSU is better than UCLA

Dru50

I didn't really use conservative carry, my guy, Carl Winston, never fumbled the ball. I probably didn't run the ball a lot compared to everyone else, but he just never fumbled the ball. I may have used conservative carry late in games, but not much else. Also, you have me thinking about how many fumbles my team caused. I don't think my team caused many fumbles either. If I got a turnover is by way of interception.

In addition we should have a conversation about conservative catching. I will admit I use conservative catching from time to time. With conservative catching, my team made two amazing TD receptions. See the hail mary catch against UCLA, and a TD catch I had against Cal late in the game. I don't know if I make those catches without conservative catching.

3. Dru50

I'm actually less concerned with the conservative catching, since drops are an epidemic. According to the stats, user WR's are dropping 1 pass for every 7 catches, which is a ludicrously high percentage. And then you have to consider that in many games there are several passes dropped that aren't recorded as a drop in the stats.

But we can discuss it for sure, as I said, I haven't really used it either.

4. Danthraxxx

Danthraxxx Walk On

I use it when I feel the other team is more talented and likely to cause fumbles. Another factor in the decison is I am in the big10 and my QB and HB are both under 190lbs , so when they get hit by 250lb's it scares me. I also forced 1 fumble all year manually, that was a strip by my impact SS.

Unlee there is strong statistical backing for it I don't know how we can come to any conclusion about if it matters or not. I know it seems some people can run at will and some can't, and I honestly wonder how much game planning plays into it.

And for conservative catch ... my opinion is it should be allowed to compensate for the multiple times the ball hits my WR in his mouth and its a drop

5. JFace907

JFace907 Ron F'n Swanson

I'll be completely honest, i only use it when i'm running to milk the clock and end of games. I never even touch it against CPU opponents really. One thing that i noticed about fumbles in last years edition was they seemed to happen when guys were stood up and tried to spin or juke loose. With this free flowing, non suction system in place, guys don't seem to have a chance to fight for extra yardage. I will say that right there takes away 95% of the reason why i fumbled in 11. Also, big hits are REALLY hard to come by in the new system. The big hit covers more user games than anything else. When it comes to CPU games, i stand by the whole "fight for the yards" thing almost being non existent this year.

Edit: I misread and thought we were talking about shielding the ball. I have NEVER touched that gameplan feature. I really don't touch any of the offensive ones. If i do its conservative catch or clock management. However, my thoughts on fumbles still stand...

6. Cheez

Cheez TSO's 1,000,000th Poster

Dru50

I use it in late game situations of close games - in other words, times where I really could not afford a fumble. Outside of that, i was on normal.

7. Dru50

If no one is using it than it is what it is, I just wanted to get some thoughts on the issue.

8. JFace907

JFace907 Ron F'n Swanson

Sucks cuz fumbles are a key part of the game. And its definitely not something that should only be seen on QB Sacks or when returners fail to call fair catch

9. Colemanchu

Colemanchu GOAT SPLITTER

I just cover the ball since if you do that defenders go retarded and run right into you and don't tackle.

10. whygodwhy1111

whygodwhy1111 Walk On

I never used conservative run against the computer. I don't remember when I stopped using it, it was early in the season.

11. Jayrah

Jayrah AllCougdUp.com Editor - A.M. avatar Guru

Rarely in late game. I use defensive much more situationally. If I drop several I use conservative catch but not usually

12. Jayrah

I probably forced 3 fumbles by non qbs, one was a strip another was big hit. My Te fumbled after a "catch" ( I say he never made a football move before he got wrapped up and there have been "catches" with twice the possession time called incomplete this season). My rbs fumbled twice I think, and one WAS fighting for extra yards, the other got hit sticked on the sideline and the ball went out.

I don't like the way that part of the game is. Qbs sure do fumble it though....

13. recchem2000

recchem2000 UCLA > WSU

I never used it...and was shocked that butter fingers Franklin never fumbled. I only had one fumble from a HB the entire season and its was Malcolm Jones on a big hit versus the CPU early in the season.

14. Dru50

OK - well since no one is using and there are still only about 1 fumble per 500 carries by user HB's (and I'm exagerating with that stat) we may need to outlaw the use of conservative carrying outside of the last 1-2 minutes of a game. If there are hardly any fumbles with no one using it, should someone start using it all game there will be no fumbles in the running game at all.

• Like Like x 1
  15. gowazzucougs

gowazzucougs WSU is better than UCLA

You could make use aggressive the entire game, I bet we will see some fumbles then.

16. Dru50

That would be entertaining.....or not, depending on your point of view.

17. Jayrah

I thought about that but the cpu still will not fumble

18. Dru50

The CPU fumbles just fine if you check the stats, it just may not happen in our games. Our HB's are the ones never fumbling.

19. JFace907

JFace907 Ron F'n Swanson

I think its safe to say fumbles are virtually non existent when a user plays a game. Whether its vs a CPU or fellow user. And thats on both sides. CPU = no fumbles against a user. User = no fumbles in all scenarios

20. Jayrah

Yup agreed

21. Roogy

Roogy Walk On

I never use any of the adjustments.