Content Ideas

Discussion in 'Thread Archive' started by Archie Griffin, Jan 11, 2011.

1. Archie Griffin

Archie Griffin Walk On

With a new season quickly approaching, I thought I'd ask a few questions about content. Here's my thoughts on content here in the forums:
    • Content drives interest. Interest keeps guys playing and interacting. So, rather than seeing content as the way we all "do our part" I'd rather develop a system that is simply interesting and entertaining to interact with.
    • A good dynasty runs like a good story. We know the names, the history, and the context behind what happens in each season. For example, we all know the name Jerome Allen because he was part of this year's story, and therefore, a part of the next four seasons worth of stories, which we will all follow. I'd like to create storyline-like threads of content that relate to every team, rather than simply posting stats and summaries. Simple summaries get repetitive, and we stop reading them. I think the StarWatch thing is a good starter example of the kind of thing I'm talking about, and you can see by looking at the replies and the views, it got more attention than any of our other kinds of content. I'd like to do more of this kind of thing, and less of the standard posting of summaries. But I don't know what that would look like.
    Here's what I'm thinking of doing:
    1. Dropping the game summary requirement in favor some something more interesting. Looking for suggestions here.
    2. Adding a GameDay-like visit to each conference once every four weeks. I imagine it as a snapshot of each conference and where it stands at the moment, and a profile of that league's games for the week, with one profiled as "the game of the week". The visits will likely bounce around with the big games, but the goal will be to visit each conference an equal number of times. Lots of name dropping and profiling, so we know who the best guys are on each others' teams, which will in turn make following the other guys more fun.
    Here are my questions:
    1. I want guys to be touching their keyboards as much as possible, but I do not want to push anyone around. So, while most leagues talk about what their guys "should" do, I'd like to ask "What would we do? What kind of content do you see as valuable enough and fun enough to keep guys punching away?"
    2. Is there a feature you have always wanted to try? If you had your own stuck thread, what would it be about? Would you even want one if it were offered?
    3. Brainstorming question: What else can we do to keep things fun and active? Group chats on AIM? Off-season via AIM or Skype? Throw out anything other leagues do that you like, and especially anything you could see yourself committing to leading for us.
    Thanks guys,

AG

2. Archie Griffin

Archie Griffin Walk On

Here's a quick one:

A while back, we combined team summary threads into Conference summary threads. What if we did the same with recruiting? We could either do separate threads for blogs and recruiting, or mash them all together, giving us lots of stories, but a single place to go for them.

So, we'd get a game wrap-up, and then some smack talk, and then someone bragging about someone they signed, and then some more smack talk, etc.

Think it would work? The current recruiting threads don't seem to be getting it done. There's just not enough activity there.

3. Archie Griffin

Archie Griffin Walk On

And if this were to happen, we could change the "Recruiting Trail" forum to a "Coaches Lounge" kind of place, where we can talk about how to gameplan, how to run certain kinds of offfenses and defenses, and all that other stuff coaches chat about. It could be a place where we ask questions and find ways to get better at what we do.

That's just the first thing that popped into my head.

4. Mr2Bits

Mr2Bits 352

The most effective way to drive content in my opinion is for everyone to take a specific area, whether it is a conference blog, power rankings, contender/pretender, heisman race, BCS rankings, bowl projections, gambling thread, etc. My favorite leagues have been the ones in which I feel like I'm reading a page on ESPN.com or a comparable website.

5. Archie Griffin

Archie Griffin Walk On

I like that quite a bit. The only thing that bugs me is, when everyone has a set responsibility, someone slacks. Then more guys slack. Then the next thing you know, there are a bunch of stuck threads that haven't been updated in a month, and three that get updated regularly.

Is there any way around this? Could we assign tasks to maybe half the guys, and then switch from season to season? That way, we'd see different styles each year, and guys would also get a break half of the time.

Just spit-balling here.

6. TD351

TD351 Walk On

Should we have a "Sim Nation Heisman?" Voted on by the 12 members-

7. Mr2Bits

Mr2Bits 352

Take away scholarships for inactivity. I hate to say that, but if you want great content with a lot of interest, you have to set a pace and hold people too it. No need to be a tyrant about it, but there should be a consequence for not contributing content.

8. Archie Griffin

Archie Griffin Walk On

This is interesting. I'd hate to impose a negative consequence, though. Maybe we could reward those who keep up, and just leave out the ones who don't in some way.

9. Mr2Bits

Mr2Bits 352

Ultimately it comes down to what you are comfortable with as a commish. From what I see there is an active and interested group of guys here, so I think users would honor their content assignments.

10. Archie Griffin

Archie Griffin Walk On

You're probably right. We'll talk about it more as the rest of the guys start to weigh in. Typically, the real life title game signals the beginning of the really slow time around here, so I may be a little paranoid about turnover.

11. carolinaeasy

carolinaeasy Walk On

How about a reward such as: If you do an update for every week minus 3 or 4 times you can get an extra 5 star scholarship allowance for the coming year? Or you can get an extra scholarship period, so instead of me being allowed to sign 5 players, I earn my bonus and can sign 6 players.

12. thatguy188

thatguy188 You know ... THAT guy.

Ill type some input in a little bit. The Keyboard on my desktop comp is broken and I barely ever use this laptop since its like a century old and slowwwwwww, thats why I havent posted as much. Will get a new keyboard for my gaming pc on friday then ill be back full time with my 2 cents ;) Until then, ill still be on the ps3.