Content - Please Read

Discussion in 'Legendary Veterans' started by IrishBearcat, Dec 14, 2011.

1. IrishBearcat

IrishBearcat tFC OD Commissioner

Oshiomogho
    MNoffke
    -Cougars-
    BakerWildcat7
    fuzzyl0gic
    gowazzucougs
    CoachRedd

Wanted to have some open discussion and get everyone's take from the league. As you know I've been harping on content and definitely trying my best to keep things active. The results have been mixed with the game summaries, independent threads, etc. A few guys have stepped up, but many don't post much or often.

The pace is great, the gameplay from our members is great, the rivalries are great, but the content is below average at best. I'm not sure what I need to do, but I'd like YOUR ideas. If you don't like doing game summaries, what would you do instead for content? What would interest you?

I have been very lenient on content, but now that we're getting this league back to being a great OD I want to clean up the content. If it comes down to it, and I don't want it to, I will require a certain amount of content and it will be held as important as playing sim-style football.

Something has to change, and I'm not sure what to do. So here is your chance to be heard. For you guys who don't post much or create much content I expect you to put in your $.02. Your response (or lack thereof) will say a lot about how seriously you take this league.

I'm not asking for everyone to spend hours on the site posting content. Doing your summaries or a team thread along with starting a thread or two of independent content sounds quite reasonable to me. It would take about 10-20 minutes of your life over a 2-3 week span (our season average).

This league is solid, but it would be so much more rewarding if everyone did their part on the content-front. Looking forward to hearing your responses.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2011
  2. -Cougars-

-Cougars- Walk On

I got game of the week

3. IrishBearcat

Some ideas I've come across:

Pre-Season Team Previews (Each coach does a preview of a user team that is NOT their own)
    User v User Game Lines (Like we used to do, check out Orange Crush for example)
    Individual Team Threads instead of Game Summariers (Refer to my Cal thread in GS Subforum)
    Pre-/Mid-/Post-Season Pac-12 AA (Doesn't take long at all)
    By the Numbers Thread (Takes me about 5-10 minutes to do one)
    Coaches Interview (BakerWildcat did a few of these, simply PMing a Coach with several questions and post the Q & A)
    Power Rankings (Kapono used to do theses)
    Program Rankings (Pre/Mid/Post-Season, I used to do these post season to grade programs rising and falling year to year)
    Recruiting Analysis (Idealy Pre-Season, highlight some of the best recruits Pac-12 users will be battling for with player analysis)
    Who's Last Thread (create the thread with this title, and we can rag on and complain about whoever is last every week)
    User v User Recruiting Battles (I used to do these threads with graphics and such)
    Pac-12 Awards (Baker's idea, hasn't been done yet)

There's plenty more, it's a matter of members stepping up. :)

4. -Cougars-

-Cougars- Walk On

Nvm I will do who's last thread now lol

5. -Cougars-

-Cougars- Walk On

Ok I made the thread it's called Grandmothers, Slackers is so played out haha

6. IrishBearcat

That's probably the easiest one to do, something else too would be expected since it's not really a "content" post. Nice try though, we'll refer to you as the "Content Grandma" from now on. :cool:

• Like Like x 1
  7. -Cougars-

-Cougars- Walk On

Pre-Season Team Previews I can do that, if a team looks bad I will say it, it is a preview they have to prove me wrong though :)

• Like Like x 1
  8. IrishBearcat

I'd like everyone to participate in the previews (everyone will be assigned a team to do), do game summaries or a team thread, and create at least one other independent thread. All in all that's about 20min of time as I stated. If this was required, would you guys be okay (not okay?) with it? Thoughts?

9. -Cougars-

-Cougars- Walk On

By game summaries you mean you want us to write up game summaries of our assigned team?

10. IrishBearcat

By game summaries, I mean the weekly ones we require now. Not many people, including myself, have participated.

11. -Cougars-

-Cougars- Walk On

Oh, I get you haha a lot has happened so I usually had to sim games.

12. IrishBearcat

My problem with game summaries is I'm usually busy so I don't have time to play and then write the summary right afterwards. Unless I'm writing it as soon as the game is done, it's more of a chore than anything. I like the "team thread" setup better where I can update the score, and POTG and include my own stats and content from the season.

13. -Cougars-

-Cougars- Walk On

Yea I understand what you mean, we used to do that back in the day

14. IrishBearcat

Check my format out in the Cal Golden Bears Football Thread for a solid example. You're welcome to steal my template (which I stole from nikpin lol). I enjoy updating it much more than Game Summaries.

15. -Cougars-

-Cougars- Walk On

Lord knows I don't know how to make tables lol but that's nice I can make up my own thing somehow

16. IrishBearcat

You can quote my table, and just adjust the formatting and switch out the text for your schedule. Is not too hard.

17. MNoffke

MNoffke Walk On

I will do my best to post more and create threads. One thing I would like to ask is, Is there anyway we can get last years game stuff off of here to kinda clean up the LV threads?

18. IrishBearcat

Could you be a bit more specific, your wanting me to trash all of the LV11 stuff or what?

19. fuzzyl0gic

fuzzyl0gic No new friends

I agree with him, the old LV threads in the game scheduling and game summaries kind of clutter up things. I'd be happy to do spreads for user games next season as my contribution (+ regular write-ups/recruiting, tomorrow is my last final so I can finally catch up on that).

20. MNoffke

MNoffke Walk On

yeah fuzzy hit it right on the head. or threads that were created from LV11. I dont really think they are necessary anymore.

21. IrishBearcat

I'd like to have access to all of our old threads by not deleting them, but I can definitely clean things up. I'll work on that tonight since I have loads of time at work!

That would be awesome. What I think I'm going to do is have people "sign up" for a content responsibility, choose summaries or team thread, and potentially require participation in team previews of an opposing coach.

22. CoachRedd

CoachRedd I come through in something real foolish

This is a great dynasty. Dynasties like these( the one conference setup with a lot of user games) are the best. I do like all those ideas you provided...but I'd like to take something and make it my own. I'd like to do something a little off the wall and incorporate pop culture. I'll start testing out some things during the last weeks/bowl week of this season and hopefully have a good thing going for next season.

• Like Like x 1
  23. BakerWildcat7

BakerWildcat7 Walk On

Well I'm for sure gonna do my pac 12 "legendary veteran trophies" ( I had to come up with a name for the actual award haha) and I can bring back the coach interviews as well.....

24. Oshiomogho

Oshiomogho Donnie Darko

Im working on a little something that should be up within a few days
    Im happy with it, I think people are gonna like it

and thats all i have to say about that

25. BakerWildcat7

BakerWildcat7 Walk On

It will be epic! Stay tuned LV!