Converting to a 3-4 Defense

Discussion in 'Zeros to Heroes' started by Sabo, Mar 1, 2011.

1. Sabo

Sabo Z2H Commish

Guys ive been looking through the internet for some strategy and gameplay tips for everyone. So i will be posting some of what ive found for you guys in various threads.

Please keep in mind that these are not my original posts. They belong to someone else who has posted it. I am only sharing so all credit goes to whomever the original poster is.

The Line

Ends: These guys are gonna be right around 300lbs. Most decent 4-3 D. Tackles can make good 3-4 D. Ends and vice versa (see Chris Canty). They need to be strong enough to hold the point of attack and athletic enough to shed blocks and get to the passer on occasion. Strength is important as well, but not as much so as a Nose Tackle. Good examples: Aaron Smith, Louis Castillo (sp?). Important ratings: STR, BSH, FIN, PWR.

Tackle: This guy needs to be huge and strong. I'd say 320 at least, if you wanna run a traditional 3-4 (some teams, namely Dallas, run a non-traditional, one-gap style of 3-4 where a smaller nose tackle like Jay Ratliff can thrive). Your NT needs to be able to take up two blockers and shed them with ease, in case he needs to stuff the RB on running plays. Examples: Haloti Ngata (he plays End, but it a prototypical Nose Tackle), Casey Hampton, Shawn Rodgers. Important ratings: STR, BSH, PWR.

The Linebackers:

Inside: You need at least one playmaker on the inside; the other guy can just be average. He needs to cover sideline to sideline, so speed (80 at least) is important. At least one guy needs to be a burner (like 85 maybe). He wont be getting blocked at the point of attack too often, but decent BSH ratings are necessary. Of course, TAK/HitPower is important for any linebacker, and so is AWR, since he's in the middle of the formation and needs to make plays all over the field. Examples: Jerod Mayo, Pat Willis (90 SPD, OMG!), Bart Scott, Ray Lewis. Important ratings: SPD, TAK, AWR, HPW.

Outside: These are your primary pass rushers. Power/Finesse Move ratings are paramount, second only to Speed. A prototypical 3-4 OLB is gonna be at least 6'1", around 240-260 lbs. They've gotta be strong and be able to shed blocks as well. Think "undersized Defensive End". Examples: Demarcus Ware, Clay Matthews, Shawn Phillips, James Harrison. Important ratings: SPD, PWR/FIN, BSH, TAK.

2. ChaoticUT

ChaoticUT Life is Orange and White!

Perfect. Was looking for exactly this...